wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,921 to 6,940 of 8,319 messages
06/02/2013 at 09:44

Cocoa Pop - Welcome, always room for more. I am not aware of any specific Ultra Clubs, most running clubs will have one or two Ultra runners amongst their ranks though. There are some good podcasts out there, which can be helpful, the main ones I listen to are:

TalkUltra

Trail Runner Nation

UltraRunnerPodcast

There are a number of coaches around, the three that spring most readily to mind are:

Rory Coleman (look up UltraRace race series)

Ian Corless (puts togther the TalkUltra podast mentioned above)

Jon Steele (look up Hardmoors race series)

Which marathons have you got planned this year?

Edited: 06/02/2013 at 09:47
06/02/2013 at 10:16

Thanks Alistair, I will check them out.

I am doing London in April and then Giants Head Marathon in June. Then i have a few shorter races planned for the end of the year in the cross country league. 

I am not a fast runner but do seem to be able to keep going which is why i am thinking that maybe ultra will be my sort of thing. 

My target debut race is thames path challenge in 2014 100k flat route along the river. If that goes ok i will then look at doing other races. 

09/02/2013 at 08:10
Hi! I'd like to introduce myself as a wannabe ultra runner!
I've been running for two years but I lost 5 months last summer due to a stress fracture.
I've entered the Grizzly (21 mile trail race) which is next month. I've been following a marathon training plan for it and my longest run (last weekend) has been 20 miles. I did the same event last year but was woefully naive and under-prepared. However ever since then i've wanted to do an ultra! I've entered the Dorset Doddle which is 32 miles along the SW coast path in August.

So...hello!
09/02/2013 at 08:17
Hello Lizzy
09/02/2013 at 08:44

Hi Lizzy, 

al the best for the run, i think you would be able to complete it

09/02/2013 at 10:56

Welcome LizzyD, stress ftacture, nasty, all better now? 32 miles along the SW coastal path sounds awesome.

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 10:57
09/02/2013 at 15:51

hi lizzy  and CP- you arnt new are you?

09/02/2013 at 16:41
Loukabell, i've been around a while but not on forums for some time. I have dipped my toe in and out of the ultra idea for a while but am now finally commiting to one. I have discovered that my natural running stule is sliw and long so it makes sense to do that sort of race rather than keep coming last in 5 & 10k's.
09/02/2013 at 18:12
Yep the stress fracture was so frustrating. It's all healed now and I haven't had any problems since. The Dorset Doddle does sound amazing and as it's a walkers' event too the time limit is 12 hours so I only have to worry about the distance rather than the time.
09/02/2013 at 19:48
Cocoa Pop wrote (see)
. I have discovered that my natural running stule is sliw and long so it makes sense to do that sort of race rather than keep coming last in 5 & 10k's.

not sure this theory is going to help in a 50mile ultra im sorry to say...

09/02/2013 at 20:05

theres a little more to it all than just running 'slow' and for a long way. a long way can cover a multitude of sins too, 10miles is a long way to some , to others it means 100.

added to that you need to get your fuel and hydration right to keep going i think you may find you slow down even more after 8-10 hours of running....so just because you run slow and dont win 5k/10k doesnt really mean you will do any better at a 50miler, unless you have a knack to suddenly running  faster after 40miles.....

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 20:06
09/02/2013 at 20:30
Loulabel,
I understand all of what you say. I am currently reading Bryon Powell's book "Relentless forward progress" and will also be getting a proper coach.
I didnt mean to sound cocky or anything earlier, just trying to say that if my natural ability is endurance type runs then maybe thsts what i should try. I do not expect to win, or even come close to winning these events, but i do think i will enjoy them more.
I am willing to take on board any hints tips and advice you can give
Thanks.
10/02/2013 at 06:57
CP- out of curiosity what's the longest distance you've run so far?
10/02/2013 at 07:02
Maeathon Lizzy. With 2 more planned this year.
10/02/2013 at 18:05
Is there,LLB? I run slow and long all the time
10/02/2013 at 18:16

Hi Lizzy, hi Cocoa Pop - welcome to the woderful/nutty (delete as applicable) world of ultra-running. Cocoa Pop - if you enjoy long runs, then ultras may be what you're looking for. If you survive LSRs with gritted teeth and look forward to a nice little speed session instead - they're not!

WiB
10/02/2013 at 18:21

Speed sessions rock.

WiB
10/02/2013 at 18:23
Oh no, speed sessions are my least fave runs. Don't mind hills, and love lsr's. Especially on a quiet winter morning, out before sun up, watch it rise over the gas works, home in time for bath and lunch. Although methinks that training for an ultra will be more like home in time for a bath and supper!!
10/02/2013 at 18:25
Now I've heard of Blackpool Rock, I've heard of Brighton rock, I've even heard of crocodile rock but I've never heard of Speed sessions rock
10/02/2013 at 18:27
It's for headbangers Slaneuk
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.