wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,961 to 6,980 of 8,295 messages
11/02/2013 at 16:12

shall we try beer in the bckpacks thn?

11/02/2013 at 17:23

WiB: sympathies, but glad to hear it was a learning experience rather than an injury putting you out of running for XX weeks.

11/02/2013 at 21:12

Sorry things didn't go as you had hoped WiB, but its still an incredible time for a 100. 

21/02/2013 at 15:11

WiB I learned a lot from going out hard and fast for a 100km race last year. The "death march" to the finish is something I never want to repeat. So it was also a good learning experience. Hope the injury is getting better.

Got my next race in mid March and all I want to do is enjoy the race. If I have another death march in an ultra I am not convinced I will be running many ultras in the future!

21/02/2013 at 15:16

death march is ok finish is a finish

22/02/2013 at 18:51

day by day ultramarathon calendar, which is completely up to date for all 2013 UK races, and most worldwide races too. The site and calendar are constantly being updated.

found this on another thread and thought id nab it and put it here for you guys..good calender

23/02/2013 at 08:03
Thanks! Now...where to start?!
23/02/2013 at 08:17
Anyone else out on the SDW this weekend?
WiB
23/02/2013 at 10:56
Just back from a few miles on the downs... Great up there today
WiB
23/02/2013 at 16:33
It was nice on the downs today despite the snow and the cold wind! It was pretty quiet I can probably count the people I saw on my fingers!
23/02/2013 at 17:33

was indeed freezing-snow flurries all the way on my run. i had a frozen bum

24/02/2013 at 09:32

Hi everyone,

I have a newbie question. I'm currently training for my first marathon (I've been training for 9 weeks, marathon is in 9 weeks time on April 28), and I've seriously caught the running bug. I would like to refocus my objectives and shoot for a 50km ultra at the beginning of October. The April marathon would become part of the ultra training program, rather than a goal on its own.

I have no history of serious running before starting to train 9 weeks ago, although I did do some semi-regular light jogging for a few months at the back end of last year. Prior to that I was very sedentary for the preceding six years. I'm slightly overweight, but that's a problem that's rapidly getting fixed. Oh, and I'm thirty-six years old.

Anyway, blah, blah, blah. The question is does the time frame of my training program seem reasonable to you? From my own research I think the answer to the question is yes. I'm just looking for a second opinion from this community.

Cheers

Edited: 24/02/2013 at 09:32
24/02/2013 at 09:35

hello perezoso- fancy seing you here!

24/02/2013 at 09:36

id say as long as you keep up some long runs over summer then a 50k is no probs for october , or even before that.

24/02/2013 at 10:50

Hi loulabell! This running malarkey gets into your blood, doesn't it? I live near a great big mountain range, you see, and they've been calling to me ever since I started running: "Come, run over me," they whisper, "just run a bit further, come stand on our peaks."

I can't ignore them any more. So here I am in the ultra forums.

Thanks for your advice!

24/02/2013 at 12:00

Perezoso - Take it as you feel, I started from zero, at 35 and was very overweight, I tried a 10k, then a half, a marathon then ultra, then longer ultra's; each time the buzz of finishing quickly turned to the anticipation of the next distance. From zero to marathon took 10 months and marathon to ultra another 10. As mentioned though I had a lot of weight to lose at the beginning. So to answer your question so long as you continue to enjoy it I don't see any issues.

24/02/2013 at 12:08

agree with Ali, if you enjoy it then go for it. just listen to how your body is dealing with it. ease off a little on  the distance if you feel its too much and then build slowly

24/02/2013 at 12:09

i was same as Ali, the euphoria of finishing and doing a new distance wears off fast with me and then i need a little bit more

24/02/2013 at 12:33

Take your time.   Run as slow as you like.   Get the legs used to the pounding.   Unless you are a natural personally no need for intervals as more chance of getting niggles.

24/02/2013 at 16:21

Hi Perezozo, I envy you the mountain range!. Agreeing with the others, yes it sounds like you're allowing enough time. Don't forget to have drop-down (reduced mileage) weeks in your training.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.