wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,981 to 7,000 of 8,270 messages
24/02/2013 at 16:23

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll be sure to pop back into this thread as I come across more questions. For those of you who are interested, this is the ultra that I'm thinking about doing.

Edit: Just saw your post Debra. Yes, I guess I'm lucky, although it's taken me rather a long time to realise it! These are the mountains within whose foothills I live.

Edited: 24/02/2013 at 16:27
25/02/2013 at 13:45
Perezoso wrote (see)

... I'll be sure to pop back into this thread as I come across more questions ...

I did warn you.

I've been reading about eating and drinking while running long distances. I now have a basic understanding of the concepts involved, but I find myself with more questions than I started with.

So, in the interest of keeping my questions specific, a straw poll (part 1):

What do you prefer, gels,chews and other such synthetic wonders or real food?

Straw poll (part 2):

How soon after the start of the race do you start to ingest calories?

I have also read that each ultra-runner is an experiment of one, so I appreciate that there is no one-size-fits-all. I'm just curious.

Cheers!

25/02/2013 at 16:32

butting in, been away for a little while, hopefully niggles abating though but have pulled out of Fling and WHW race now  but am entered into the Lairig Ghru race instead ... http://www.scottishhillracing.co.uk/RaceDetails.aspx?RaceID=RA-0067

Food/gels etc etc:

I alternate gels and real food - I can stomach SIS gels really well so I DO use them, along with bananas, chopped up flap jack, mini peanut butter sandwiches, trail mix, bits of chorizo, all sorts really.  I find bananas fantastic - I can't remember how many I consumed on the SDW 100 last year, it was a LOT, I couldn't eat one for several weeks after though

I usually have a banana before I start and then make sure I have something every hour (roughly every six miles I guess depending on terrain), but definitely start early and keep on going. You won't know until later in the race that you haven't got enough food down you.  If it's a shorter ultra (like a 33-miler) then I still use that concept but may have less real food and more gels (treating it more like a marathon) but that's personal choice.

WiB
25/02/2013 at 16:53
Bad news on fling and whw cc! I am looking forward to the fling. Hope the route is easy enough to follow
WiB
25/02/2013 at 16:54

learn to read a map!

25/02/2013 at 16:56

perezoso, it is indeed all down to personal choice and trail and error.

agree with Cragc in that if you are doing anything over 30 start eating 50mins-1hr in...even if you think you arnt hungry , feel ok , or dont need it , just eat something small, raisins, mini mars. it just keeps you topped up .i know some people set their Garmin to beep every hour to remind them to eat something , this is a good idea as when the miles go on you become less inclined to concentrate and forget.

as cragc has said, peanut butter sandwiches in bits, small bits of wrap with marmite or jam, raisins work well for me,some sweets that you like, fudge,crunchie bars are good as they dissolve and no chewing required!! cereal bars with nuts and fruit are good and sustain for a while. i always find past 30miles i want salty food rather than sweet. gels are ok, im preferring the GU ones now as they are thicker and less messy. but how many you can tolerate is down to you

25/02/2013 at 16:57

fig rolls are fab! they can fuel me for miles

25/02/2013 at 17:24
My training is now on hold as I twisted my ankle during a race yesterday
WiB
25/02/2013 at 17:28
I can read a map just fine.
WiB
25/02/2013 at 17:33

look after the ankle Lizzy then - that's what has had me side-lined the last few weeks ... didn't realise I'd done it in until too late

WIB - it IS very easy - there are signs pretty much all the way, a couple of points where it's a bit confusing but nothing too challenging. There is a Harveys map available which has the entire route on it and probably some other similar styled maps. I've carried a map both times I've done race before even though I've not needed them.

Yep - is a shame - but I know if I try and ramp back up too quick I'll end up injured again, I've done the Fling 2x now and loved it but did want a decent time at it this year. Am quite capable of finishing it but recovery would be too long afterwards due to missed traning. But have always wanted a crack at the Lairig Ghru so no excuses hopefully ... a slighter shorter way to celebrate my birthday than last year

25/02/2013 at 17:42
Cragchick, sorry to hear that! Did you hurt yours in one incident or was it something that happened over time? It's so frustrating because I was feeling really good in the race before I did it. I've got a 20m race in 2 weeks so i'll just have to hope for the best!
WiB
25/02/2013 at 17:54
Cheers CC. Don't want to waste time looking at a map! hope you can get yourself to a race soon.
WiB
25/02/2013 at 18:20

Perezoso: enjoy them! (the hills and mountains).  Re. food, I prefer Kendal Mint Cake for instant energy and otherwise real food - fig rolls, malt loaf, pumpkin seed mixed with raising and a few cranberries, pretzels; on longer runs cheese sandwiches, wraps, pasties etc. I add Elete (salts with no sweeteners or flavourings) to my water.

Generally I'll start taking in something after 60-90 minutes, but occasionally on a long training run I'll carry emergency supplies but not eat anything and see how it goes - I've been up to 3.5 hours on that.

Cragchick: sympathies and good luck for enjoying the Lairig Ghru.

LizzyD: sympathies as well; hope it recovers quickly. My posterior tibial tendon has taken ages, but it -is- finally on the mend - did 20 miles yesterday, with about half on light trails, half on road.

25/02/2013 at 18:21

You shouldn't NEED to look at a map ... but if you end up ahead with no one else in sight and take a wrong turn (there are a few potential points) then you'll be annoyed won't you ...!!  I always reckon if you've got one in your pack, it will stay there; if you don't have one, you know you'll need it!

I have a the Lairig Ghru for mid-year focus, my own 100-miler route for the autumn, some local hill races as and when and perhaps some shorter road races, a book of scottish hill running with lots of routes I want to do so am trying not to get hung up about races at the moment and focus a bit more on exploring this fantastic area I live in

Lizzy - I rolled it on a 10-miler on the Friday but didn't ice it cos it didn't hurt, then did an 18-miler on the Sunday and then another week of hard training including a gnarly snowy hill run ... I ignored slight niggles at this point, did another 10-miler and then it all fell apart big time!!!  I have now just returned to running after five weeks. So I'd say don't ignore ... ice it etc, but also once initial pain has subsided get it mobile asap. You should be fine if you take action rather than ignore ... I've been doing deep massage to the peroneal tendon and calf muscle area too.

25/02/2013 at 18:53

Can you teach me then WIB?

WiB
25/02/2013 at 19:00
I am fairly confident you know how to map read so not sure why you are asking.

I will take a map with me CC, like you say if I don't have one will likely need it!
Edited: 25/02/2013 at 19:12
WiB
25/02/2013 at 19:51

OK ... I'll stop nagging now

Debra - good news re the training. Can't wait to get back to some longer stuff myself ... can't believe last long run I did was beginning of January!!

25/02/2013 at 20:25

Thanks to all of you who chipped in with victualling strategies. My LSRs are now over two and half hours and climbing, so I intend to start experimenting with in-flight service this Sunday.

25/02/2013 at 22:08

ooooooooo no one seems to want to play!

26/02/2013 at 06:53
Cragchick, oh dear! I did mine on Sunday. I can walk around on it but i've no intention of running on it yet! It's quite swollen as is my foot so i'll wait for it to start looking normal!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.