wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,001 to 7,020 of 8,242 messages
26/02/2013 at 07:35

lizzy-hope you are ok and it improves soon. is it just sprained?

26/02/2013 at 11:04
I think so. As I said I can walk around on it without too much pain but it's certainly gone a funny colour! I'm not sure it'll be ready for a 20 mile race next weekend which would be a shame...but at least there are plenty more to look forward to
WiB
26/02/2013 at 11:10
LizzyD wrote (see)
I think so. As I said I can walk around on it without too much pain but it's certainly gone a funny colour! I'm not sure it'll be ready for a 20 mile race next weekend which would be a shame...but at least there are plenty more to look forward to

Taaape!

WiB
26/02/2013 at 11:16

Once it stops hurting get mobilising it anyway (wiggling it, drawing alphabet shapes etc), keeps all the nerves working properly etc.

26/02/2013 at 11:19

ooh just found this thread but not read all the posts it would take forever but just to say i've entered my first ultra The JW Ultra, anyone else doing this one?

I've also been looking at the Bideford Bay 50k but thats off road and i do not get on with trail shoes at all, love my road shoes but the RD did say it was doable in road shoes

26/02/2013 at 11:21

Well do it then!!

Hya - I was looking at that for early Sept

26/02/2013 at 12:18

ahh i'm so indecisive tho hahaha, will have a think on it, maybe make my mind up after i've done Brighton

26/02/2013 at 12:21

It's early September isn't it, but a long way to go for me, I need to make a decision on this one,

26/02/2013 at 15:01

EKGO -im still deliberating about doing Bideford-i love Devon so itd be great to do with you and jo.

26/02/2013 at 15:04

i 3 medals, i wouldnt worry about trail shoes- i rarely wear them,!! ive done only one ultra in trail shoes because it was mega mud but ive run and on road  and off in Nikes, they were fine. wear what you are comfy in

26/02/2013 at 16:33

Looks a great run Lou, I'm looking at it to be the start of an 8 week marathon/ultra streak for Autumn

26/02/2013 at 18:02

yes the area looks nice

26/02/2013 at 18:31
Oh woe is me, my knee hasn't made any improvement since the Thames trot! I'm being forced into a couple of weeks complete rest to see if that heals it!!! How quickly can you build up to high mileage again after a complete layoff I've never tried it before???
26/02/2013 at 18:43

Touie - last year I did The Highland Fling (53 miles) at the end of April and then had the whole of May off with pretty much no training after a massive asthma meltdown whereby I ripped all my intercostal muscles!! Anyway, on the back of that, I then had four weeks of fairly decent training (got a couple of 20+ milers in but no back2backs) and did the Centurion SDW 100 at the end of June. I wasn't sure how it would go, but having had reasonably decent (for me) training up to and including the Fling, the ability to cover the distance was there, I did lack some endurance and consequently speed in latter stages of race but I finished well within timescales.  Does that help?  What have you next?

26/02/2013 at 18:52
Brilliant thanks that's encouraging!

I did do 24 on Saturday, I mainly walked but that made me decide on 2 weeks rest, oops!!! At the time I thought it was a trapped nerve causing the knee pain! Now I think it is a slightly buggered mcl!

Next for me was new forest 50k on 10th march but my friends going to have my number for that! Then 23rd march I have cts Sussex ultra, I'd like to be fit for that one
26/02/2013 at 19:44

CragChick - Will miss you at WHW, tough luck, sounds like you have refocused readily enough though.

I too am hoping the WHW is well sign posted; my support knows the route well so hopefully getting tips little and often will mean I don't have to worry too much. Not sure if I will manage some recce's or not.

Food, I have used Hammer Perpetuem both as a powder and solid and find it really suits me, the powder especially, I can pretty much run on one bottle an hour and don't need much else, it's relatively pricey though so kept for events over training.

Training wise, following a slow end of last and start to this year feel the foundations are setting, enjoyed a cracking marathon Saturday, half-marathon Sunday back to back this weekend; neither was quick but both were comfortable.

26/02/2013 at 20:10

Dragons Back anyone?

26/02/2013 at 21:48

touie2: Sympathies and good luck forrapid healing. Regarding re-starting, I took two weeks off after TT50, then did a week of reduced mileage (maybe 20-25 miles) ending with nine miles on the Sunday, then jumped to about 40 miles for the following week ending with 8 + 20 at the weekend and I'm intending to do 25ish this Sunday, although not fast as I'll be following SDW for the first time.

27/02/2013 at 08:40
Thanks fingers crossed I can get back into it after a couple of weeks
27/02/2013 at 17:30

If any of you speak Spanish, you'll love this little video. "Esos locos que corren" means something like "Those crazy runners". If you don't speak Spanish, watch it anyway, you'll get the idea just from the animation.

¡Saludos!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.