wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,181 to 7,200 of 8,295 messages
10/03/2013 at 22:40
Have done a few multi days now, as Lirish says no need for the 4 days. Normal back to back days is ok. What does become important is managing your recovery/ body after each day. For me that means eat, calf guards on, lie down with legs up for a bit.
10/03/2013 at 22:54

Round and round the lake you go!  LOL

10/03/2013 at 23:14

Seems like a thread I could take part in, perhaps?  I've done 42 ultras to date but I feel like a newbie at the moment!! Lousy winter training whilst I've been recovering from a broken collarbone.  A lot of nervy pain in my upper arm and my physio tells me my shoulderblade is 'winging' out to the back rather than moving in the plane of my back.

If I could get my other shoulderblade to wing as well I could  try flying around the next race? (Which is in 13 days ...)

Lived in Waddesdon as a kid.

11/03/2013 at 07:19

my advice? dont do quadzilla. you really want to run around that effing lake 28 times?........far better things you can do with your time

11/03/2013 at 07:20

hi T-Rex *waves* are you at TP100 ? I may pop down

11/03/2013 at 07:22
thanks all. choice wa the quad or TP 100 in the end it was the evenings that decided it for me it is a nice lake and thid year 2 are reverse!
11/03/2013 at 07:24

T-Rex , you are the caballo Blanco of this thread...no newbie at all

11/03/2013 at 08:22

Hi T-Rex and sympathies for the continuing problems from the collar bone injury.

Pudge: re big hills - after running Beachy Head marathon last October, and having decided to do SDW50, I was extremely relieved to discover that we do NOT finish over that section! But yes, trail is much nicer than road, in my opinion.

11/03/2013 at 14:35

loulabell - I hate to disillusion you but that is a long way from the truth ...

No, not TP100 - but I want to do it next year so any idea when TP100 2014 opens?  And if that goes well I've got even more interesting plans for it in 2015.

11/03/2013 at 17:14

TRex - sounds like you need some pilates to remind those muscles etc how to work and pull your shoulder blade back into line!!

11/03/2013 at 23:31

Thanks, cragchick.  I'm wondering when I should go back to classes.  The whole shoulder's so weak at the moment I'd have to go back about four levels!

12/03/2013 at 10:26
I've just been beaten back by a head-wind which I swear was coming straight from Siberia, cutting across the snow covered fields and robbing me of my breath.

I'm hopeless at running in the wind. Are there any tricks, or is it just a question of man up and deal with it?
12/03/2013 at 11:27

I live in the NE of Scotland, when I first moved here (from Surrey) the constant strong weind (westerly or easterly) drove me nuts ... but now I've just got used to it, and find it strange when it's not windy!!!  At least if you do an 'out and back' route, if you plan it right you get blown all the way home!!! I do often plan my routes just like that, nothing worse than doing the return leg of a long run back into the wind!!  If it's really bad - gales - then I head to the forest (although the creaking of the trees waiting to fall down is an alternative risk!!).

TRex - I guess have a chat with the pilates teacher and your physio and see what they reckon.  I'm only just on the first rung of teaching Pilates so far from expert, but I would have thought that most moves can be adapted and amended as necessary, side-lying moves can be aided by use of blocks, standing moves not a problem, only really stuff on four-point that puts real pressure on shoulder joint and should be avoided?  If you've been out for a while then going back a few stages won't be a bad thing anyway will it?

14/03/2013 at 12:37

HI folks. have done a few ultras but only track and road. Have multidayevent in Spetember off road and I dont know where to start. I dont really live near any trails and keep putting off putting the shoes on and getting out the door since my last ultra 3 weeks ago . Combined with taper ,that makes it almost 7 weeks and  I feel I have lost a lot of my routine/some fitness and all my mojo. 
Any advice would be most appreciated. excuses excuses 

Has anyone every tried on line coaching?

14/03/2013 at 13:48

Fizzio: Never tried on-line coaching, but I would imagine if you have specific training/race aims and goals then can be of use.

With regard to refinding the mojo - I find the best thing is just to get those shoes on, leave the watch behind, and just get out the door. Don't even plan for how long or far ... once the legs start moving it usually takes care of itself!! Sept is a while off yet, so just work on refinding that mojo ... then when you've got the buzz back again you can plan a bit more? Some kind of back-to-back long-run training would be useful for a multi-day event I would think.  Perhaps find some shorter races in the meantime to use as training - make them trail events and then it won't matter if your training is on road/pavement too.

I'm just getting back into it again after about five weeks out, the first two weeks have been hard going on all fronts but now it's starting to flow a bit again. Good luck

WiB
14/03/2013 at 14:06

Fizzio - I have used online coaching through www.centurionrunning.com/coaching and found them to be great. I was with them for just under 1 year and was very happy with the advice, knowledge, feedback, response time and I even got some ok results out of it! Better than I had previously achieved from 5k through to 100 miles.

WiB
20/03/2013 at 09:17

Whats going on?  Nearly a week with no posts.

20/03/2013 at 10:43
I'll add my tuppence worth then. On Saturday I ran 15 miles so I am back on track! It was almost 3 weeks after spraining my ankle so it still has a limited range of pain-free movement but running seems to be fine. Annoyingly I seem to have developed a pain in the calf on the other leg so I am taking things slowly. I have a 21 mile event this Sunday but it isn't a race and there are cake stops so hopefully I'll be OK.
20/03/2013 at 11:46
I'm still injured but I managed 4 miles last night woo hoo! Going to try for 5 tomorrow! I feel a PW on the cards for my April marathon!!!
20/03/2013 at 13:25

I am still blissfully ignorning what is going on with my right ankle/foot - still got the odd niggle from original injury but get some plantar stuff going on too. Hey ho, lots of self-massage and rollering of foot and calves.  Hoping to get a 15-miler in tomorrow and definitely starting to feel run fit again ... clearly in time for two weeks of school hols!!  Still no big races entered except Lairig Ghru at end of June - a mere 28 miles!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.