wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,201 to 7,220 of 8,256 messages
20/03/2013 at 13:26

God - we are not a healthy bunch at the moment are we ... all these injuries and niggles!!

WiB
20/03/2013 at 13:32

Golf ball rolled under the foot for the plantar stuff works a charm CC.

WiB
20/03/2013 at 15:17
U did adventure hubs Exmoor coastal ultra on Saturday. 42 hilly miles in 9 hrs 19 mins, joint 14th out of 48. Very pleased as that is off 3 monthd training
20/03/2013 at 15:54

That's a great time Spen, well done you

WIB - have been using one of the kids small annoying rubber balls I am always tripping over - is perfect, along with bottle of frozen water, and then The Grid for my calves ... all of that is a workout in itself!! As well as painful

20/03/2013 at 17:32

spen- I have been busy looking for a house , hence no burbling from me on here .

cragc!!! dont ignore it!! good you are feeling fit though, agree that its always when im on a roll too that hiolidays occur and im out of the loop again!!

hope it improves soon for you- 28miler isnt too bad though, not mega miles

20/03/2013 at 19:08

28 miles not mega miles? I think you will find it is loulabell!

20/03/2013 at 20:37
Ben Davies 15 wrote (see)

I am about to undertake my seventh ultra, but you never forget the first. 

The feeling of fulfilment on finishing your first is proportional to the challenge involved.  You know that you have done something that relatively few runners in the U.K have done.  You just don't get that sense of satisfaction from running a half marathon.  

Also you will never find a friendlier more inclusive group of people to run with.  The nature of ultras and the pace they are run at makes them much more social events. 

Be forewarned however that they are very addictive.  Once you have done one you will almost certainly want to do another!

Thought I'd post on this as it popped up as it were and quote the second reply from Ben 

He's right, I haven't forgotten my first ultra, but seeing as I've only done one it's not surprising  I did a 38 mile off road route as part of the Jedburgh Half Marathon weekend last year, mainly because I live in Jedburgh and it was the first time it had been run.

It was painful and exhilarating at the same time, words sometimes don't come close to the emotion I felt during and after the race.

The other runners were great and sense of comadarie was brilliant.

21/03/2013 at 07:56
runboy wrote (see)

28 miles not mega miles? I think you will find it is loulabell!

RB, its not in the scheme of things - look at the bigger picture

21/03/2013 at 07:59

spen, you did a good job at Exmoor. will soon be okay to do GC or Vulcania? hoping i can get to do compton 40.

21/03/2013 at 08:03

crachick: good luck with getting the balance right between running and repair. I'm in the same boat - my left posterior tibial still isn't 100%, but I honestly think only time and mobilisation exercises are going to help and that running isn't going to damage it further at this stage. However, I know my speed and fitness have suffered from the reduced training, so I'll have to amend my goals for SDW and probably for NDW, which is frustrating.

spen: well done!

LB: good luck with the house hunting.

21/03/2013 at 08:33

Debra - yes, that's about the sum of it for me really!  Good luck with the fitness regaining, you may surprise yourself yet. Sometimes it's as much benefit to have fresher legs ... I have found this sometimes when I've worried training has been lacking and then surprised myself.

Runboy - 28 miles IS a fair distance to most, but in comparison to the longer distances I have raced, and was originally planning to race this year it is not . That said, this race will provide me with hills and views aplenty so definitely not an easy option!

Good luck with house hunting LLB.

WiB
21/03/2013 at 10:16

CC - Just checked out the Lairig Ghru race. Looks very good. Some real fast times layed down by the looks of it and a CR of 3:04! I guess the 600m descent to the finish helps a little. Make sure you have some quads left for those last few miles!

WiB
21/03/2013 at 11:47

Will be doing my first 12 hour ultra in June

http://www.challenge-running.co.uk/cr24-12/

Any advice for how to prepare ? Im running two marathons in May, should I add miles on to these to make them long runs or just do the marathon ?

I have done a couple of 50 mile ultras in 9hours ish, what should I be aiming for in 12 hours ?

Thanks

21/03/2013 at 17:11

I know WIB, with my hill training, I mainly focus on running hard downhill so hopefully that will do the job!! I certainly won't be at the front of the pack, but am hoping not to be last either!!  There is one section where running is a bonus, and most people have to pick their way through the boulder field so that won't be a speedy section ... anyway, am really looking forward to it providing everything holds together.

22/03/2013 at 13:02

I'm just starting on the path to a 100k. I've run a few half marathons and a few duathlons (17mile mountain runs with about double that cycle) but the plan is for 2 marathons this year (Spring and Autumn) with a sprinkling of 10ks and duathlons in the summer, followed by a hilly 50k early next year and the 100k in autumn 2014.

I just thought I'd say 'hi' because I know I'll need help/motivation/venting at some point and this will probably be a good resource.

And just to be a little bit mischevious, I'll add that I'm doing it all in vibram fivefingers.

Here's to looking forward to some good discussions in the future! 

Dean

22/03/2013 at 13:21
Hi all I'm just entering the world of ultras with my first one booked for June. At the moment I'm stressing about everything!!!
I know this is has probably been covered on here, but 7000 posts is a lot to catch up on!!! I was wondering about rucksacks how big? I need to carry first aid kit, food, jacket, survival blanket and fluid trying to do this on a budget any recommendations for a 5 foot 2 female?
Have been looking at decathlon, any good?
Any help greatly received.
22/03/2013 at 13:53

cupcake: I'm the same height as you. The main backpack I use is the Salomon 10+3 Wings vest, ladies S/M (in teal, if you're looking for it online). That takes a 1.5-2 litre bladder (the Camelbak 2 litre fits in, otherwise, a 1.5 litre) in a separate compartment, and has two little zipped fine mesh pockets on the front, and a zipped pocket and an open expandingmesh pocket on the sides, which you can get at without removing the pack (the open one expands enough you can stuuf hat, gloves, windproof jacket into it), plus a pocket on the back, and two mesh pockets (one zipped) inside the main compartment. I like it because it distributes the weight well, however it's about £90.

My back-up is the OMM 12 litre, which isn't bad and can generally be found for about £35, but it's less organised (1 x pocket on waist belt, one pocket on the back (outside), bladder compartment, main compartment).

For my first 50K I used a 5 litre Mizuno pack with a 1 litre bladder, which I got for about £15 and that was fine, but I got the larger ones for 50-milers and carrying more kit.

You want to get one NOW and start wearing it to get used to it. Try on in the shop if you can, with some weight in it.

Others may be able to tell you about Decathlon and Nathan packs.

Dean: Hi. I don't like fivefingers myself - too narrow in the midfoot (at least the Sprints I tried on) and the toes were way too long, which I thought I'd find distracting. But I run in VivoBarefoot Neos (up to 50-milers, so far).

22/03/2013 at 14:07
Thanks Debra for posting will check them out.
22/03/2013 at 15:59

cupcake , Nathan womens intensity vest. all you need.

(im 5ft 2ish, fits fine)

22/03/2013 at 16:24

Nathan womans intensity vest easily the most comfortable if I need to carry more gear I do still opt for the Salomon s-lab 12 pack, it is a fraction too long in the body for me though and I imagine could be a bit hot in the summer but otherwise great!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.