wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,221 to 7,240 of 8,313 messages
22/03/2013 at 16:36

touie, that was the problem with the larger backpack i had last year at ndw50. too long and made a bit of a mess of my lower back

22/03/2013 at 16:56

I am also a 5ft 2 person!!! I use the Nathan vest for summer races where there is plenty of support (checkpoints with food etc). I also have an OMM 12, which is great for races that are more remote (more weather, less support, more kit). That said, the straps could do with adjusting down a bit more for me as I'm pretty petite BUT I have used it for all my big ultras and it's been very comfortable and tends to carry the load around your lower back which is where you want it - hips/waist taking the load.  My vest is a newer purchase but I LOVE it and will use it on all shorter races.

So glad I did long run yesterday - is ABSOLUTELY baltic out there, air temp is 1 degree but with a howling easterly gale, the wind chill is fairly impressive I think!!!

Can't comment on Five Fingers but I am a big fan of Injinji socks, am definitely an Inov8 person mainly.

Bit peaved with my new mudroc 290s though, left ankle bone obviously sits lower than right on (or shoes are cut unevenly) as it dug into bone on yesterdays 15-miler - grrrr, think may have to take knife to it!!

WiB
22/03/2013 at 17:05

A knife to the shoe or the ankle?

I like my 5 fingers for short easy runs just to enforce good form and for strengthening... I would never race in them as you can go sooo much faster in shoes.

WiB
22/03/2013 at 19:17
loulabell wrote (see)

touie, that was the problem with the larger backpack i had last year at ndw50. too long and made a bit of a mess of my lower back

yes I was wondering whether a bit of duct tape on my back might stop it rubbing haven't tried it yet though

22/03/2013 at 19:20

You didnt see her back

22/03/2013 at 19:59
I'm doing the short stuff in xero shoes at the moment, and I'm finding them pretty fun.
Are we really having the back pack discussion again?
Edited: 22/03/2013 at 19:59
22/03/2013 at 20:35

Tiago: cupcake did say she didn't want to wade through 7,000 posts and I don't blame her.

Must make up my Xero shoes and try them soon!

WiB
22/03/2013 at 20:49
Its on every other page so not actually that far to go back.
WiB
22/03/2013 at 21:37

..its like the Twighlight zone in here isnt it.......

22/03/2013 at 21:38

touie, duct tape doesnt hold for long-they tried that on me!

22/03/2013 at 21:39

Hi Tigs*waves*

22/03/2013 at 21:53
Not me who mentioned back packs this time. Im still looking though. ...
22/03/2013 at 22:12

OK, I'll wait a couple of days and then ask about backpacks. 

Debra: The fit is actually quite different between the models. I've got the Bikila, KSO and the new waterproof one (essential for the winter) and they all fit differently. KSO is definitely the most generous.

WiB: I'm a 100kg ex rugby player, speed is not really even on my radar! All I'm after is not being in pain after a long run and until I tried running in vibrams that wasn't really possible. I've toyed with the minimalist shoes with a bit more cushioning but I honestly haven't needed it so far. My long runs are 30k at the moment so that may change.

I have to say I am genuinely surprised at the number of people in minimalist shoes. When I've spoken to people about it before it has been a fairly negative response. 

Anyway, about those backpacks.......

Dean

22/03/2013 at 23:56
Nutella! I have done new balance minimalist things and try and do a 3-miler in them every week, but backed off a bitlast couple of Weeks with various niggles going on!
WiB
23/03/2013 at 06:59
Dean - I race in minimalist shoes. Have done up to 100 in them without problem. I couldn't do it in my 5 fingers without a lot more training in them

Interested in how you get on.
WiB
23/03/2013 at 08:11

Dean i think more and more runners are trying the minimal shoes but i guess they dont suit all and it depends on the distance you feel comfortable in wearing them. i prefer minimals now and did a short ultra in 4mm before going to zeros. can do 20+ at the moment in zeros but yet to see wether 50miles is ok or not -it may be put to the test in May!

23/03/2013 at 09:31

I am with WIB and LLB, would love to really push the distance out in zero drop shoes, I quite fancy a pair of Luna Sandals however find that for longer stuff I still need 3mm to 4mm of drop. I have just bought some Vivo Barefoots (£16 sports direct BARGAIN), and will be using them for one or two shorter runs a week, I think to 'transition' properly I would need to scrub off the race calendar, fall right back on the mileage and just focus on making that change, which I may do after MDS next year.

Ruby Muir seems to have it down though - http://www.irunfar.com/2013/03/2013-tarawera-uitramarathon-results.html

Backpacks - I'd love to contribute however I feel a bit out of date, not bought one for some time. Away from specific packs I like to have either a bladder and bottle set-up where the checkpoints are some distance apart i.e. 10+ miles or two bottle set-up where checkpoints are closer so that I can have water and sports drink on tap. Other considerations for me are hip pockets, compression strapping, lack of 'bottle bounce' and ease of access to the bottle(s).

Edited: 23/03/2013 at 09:33
23/03/2013 at 11:09

I have come to some surprising conclusions with regard to cushioning in shoes. 

I don't think that it does much in terms of absorbing shock when your body weight slams down on the foot, but it is very effective at protecting the foot from rocks and tree roots and other hard objects that you can step on. 

I am therefore happy to use minimalist shoes in road races including the longer ones, but my trail shoes are all models with a bit of cushioning. 

I have ran distanced up to 20 miles in Teva sandals, when my feet have been badly swollen in the aftermath of races. 

Edited: 23/03/2013 at 11:12
23/03/2013 at 15:11

Ben , i agree with you re: the cushioning issue. despite the size of a person its still a lot of impact going through hips, knees,ankles . i get away with doing long distance in zeros a little more perhaps as i dont weigh much but still its hammering shins etc.  i have inov8 bare x lites and love them but not sure how they would fair on really rough terrain. NDW will probably be fine if like last year but anything rockier than that i reckon id want a little more perhaps on the toe area to protect painful cracked toes!

Ali, i didnt really transition the way i should have ie few miles and build up, i kinda went ..5...10...16...22...22..24...lol

23/03/2013 at 16:38

That is interesting what you feel about the impact. I am almost certain I will be one of the bigger runners (or joggers or idiots take your pick) on here and I kind of think that its all about form. I don't feel like my shins take a hammering at all in the vibrams. The calf has to work harder but as long as I watch my form I really don't feel it the way I did when I tried to run in 'normal' shoes. Again only in runs up to 30k so we'll see how that works as I move on but pretty much all my running is on pavement so I'd expect to feel it already if it was going to be bad.

I agree about the protection for toes off road. I ran a trail in my KSOs which are pretty minimal kicked a rock and that was me for a week until the swelling went down. I have the waterproof vibrams and they seem much more protective. There is a much bigger protection at the toe and if I was running off road again those are definitely what I would be wearing!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.