wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,241 to 7,260 of 8,257 messages
WiB
23/03/2013 at 19:53

Dean - I agree. They do force you to be lighter on your feet and I think regardless of size and weight people are capable of being heavy footed or lightfooted. Running correctly (although I don't like using the word correctly as it suggest other running methods are wrong and I am not 100% convinced on that yet) in them is key.

I will build up my mileage in them and enjoy doing so but I don't see them ever becoming my every day or race shoe.

WiB
23/03/2013 at 22:27

After 30 miles I dont give a shit what my running form is.   I just want my feet to be comfortable.   Also not convinced that it is right to change your running style.   You run that way for a reason.

24/03/2013 at 15:41

Not to rerun the whole debate but that reason could be you have been jammed in padded shoes when you were learning to run. Heel striking is not natural. Try and do it barefoot which is how we have evolved to run and you very soon realise that.

To be honest, the only reason to change or consider changing or do anything different at all is if you are having problems. I was and changing the way I ran was completely ther right thing to do. When I just picked up a pair of running shoes and started trying to run (after a visit to reputable running shop to help me pick my shoes) I was injured all the time. So I gave up.

When I started back running barefoot running was a new fad and I looked into it, and more importantly, I looked into the biophysics of running and gave it a go. It worked for me. No injuries and I run more and farther than I have ever run before. And the more I do it, the less I have to watch my form as my body learns how to do it for me.

24/03/2013 at 15:44

spen: I went minimalist deliberately to change my running style, because I decded it would be better for my knee and hip joints. I've not had any knee pain since I changed, and I did used to get knee pain, so it seems to have worked for me. It helps that the VB Neos are a better shape for my feet than ANY conventional running shoes I've found (Mizuno Genesis were okay, but they were so basic that running shoe shops didn't stock them, and then they stopped making them). I now have an arch (I've developed some foot muscle), and I think my feet are much stronger. And I hate conventional shoes now (for me) because they feel like planks of wood strapped to my feet - no flexibility. But then I used to hillwalk in the Lake District in Teva sandals while everyone else was in hiking boots and telling me I needed ankle support).

WIB: I have bought the Inov8 Trailroc 235s for Lakeland 50 because I wanted just a bit more padding on those rocks - while I find the VB Neo Trail fine for NDW or SDW. Interesting what you say about running in Teva sandals.

24/03/2013 at 16:06
I doubt there's a right shoe for everyone or a right running form for everyone, it's individual I imagine, but like a golf swing or free kick technique I think most of us could benefit from focusing on our individual styles to improve efficiency and reduce imbalances etc. I doubt many of us run perfectly without having to work on it, and just racking up the miles probably isn't the way. Just my opinion though.
24/03/2013 at 22:59

I am getting there on the minimalist front, I KNOW I feel better in my more minimalist trail shoes but at the moment I haven't got the road shoes sussed - but then I don't do enough on road to bother about that too much so am still running in my not especially loved Asics when I go on treadmill or road.  Inov8 290 mudrocs and roclite 268s plus some new balance zero somethings for the odd short run.

What I find really interesting is watching how my kids run - they are 6 and 8 and still 'natural' to a point. Both have got minimalist trainers - son a pair of merrells and daughter some vivo ones, despite this my daughter still is a bit more of a heel-striker but it doesn't seem to bother her. Both maintain they find it soooooo much easier to run in these shoes than pairs they've had before - more traditional style of kids trainer (geox types) or normal cushioned stuff. Son wears his for orienteering etc so on quite gnarly stuff but they have no obvious trail grip!!!  Anyway, am digressing massively there so I apologise!!

Now need to flip back a page and see what I've missed!!

25/03/2013 at 01:36

All a matter of opinion.   I wear support shoes and the only time I get injured is when i wear them for to long and Wear them out.   I for one sm not risking changing at the moment.    Got a big year planned.   I may change my mind,  normally do  haha

25/03/2013 at 11:23

Maxamilist i say.

Hokas all day long (and night usually)

WiB
25/03/2013 at 11:24

How were your feet after TP Dill?

Cracking effort at the weekend, well done.

WiB
25/03/2013 at 11:42

Ha Ha WiB point taken and yes they are mashed.

To be fair maserated feet hasn't got much to do with the shoe more the lack of Hydropel. My replacement substance didn't work.

25/03/2013 at 16:30

I moved to more minimal shes having read the running 'dramality' book  'Born to Run' not because it inspired me to break out my kilt and strap car tyres to my feet but because it reminded me of something I had forgotten.

At primary school, in plimsols, I was always quick and could run far, at secondary school when I had progressed to built up 'adult trainers' I was mid-pack, at the time I just asumed everyone else had got quicker. When we ran 100M in PE we always set off in pairs, for three years Andrew Smith and I had been set off togther and I had finished just behind him, in one PE lesson in the summer of the third year at secondary school, I decided to run barefoot, I don't recall why, we set off as usual me just behind however I just kept getting quicker and blitzed him, finishing a good 15M in front of him. I bought some track spikes and went on to run pretty well for a fat lad up to 400M thereafter those extra pounds were just too much to carry.

Reading 'Born to Run' triggered the memory that I had been the quickest in school at primary had moved back through the pack at secondary until the third year when I bought spikes and moved back to being the quickest.

So 20 years on as a fat man, trying to run distances I rushed out and bought some minimal trainers strapped them on ..........damn no miraculous burst through the pack this time however it does feel right and I continue to work on my form.

GKD
25/03/2013 at 17:10
How'd your CTS race go WiB? And have you spoken to Daz about his little adventure in Sept/Oct?
GKD
25/03/2013 at 17:22

Re. macerated feet, so far, rubbing Vaseline all over my feet and wearing twin-skinned socks has worked even in very wet conditions, for up to 50-mile events. I guess some time I'll find out whether that works for me for longer races.

WiB
25/03/2013 at 19:32
Went ok cheers mate, not nearly as fast as I would have liked after going off course for a bit and making a poor shoe choice but finished about 15 mins clear I think.

Is that the coast2coast thing?

How's the recovery going?
Edited: 25/03/2013 at 19:33
WiB
GKD
25/03/2013 at 19:51
A wins a win, congratulations. And it gives you a time you know you should be able to beat next year.
Yeah that's the C2C thing, I'm up for it and depending on it being Oct or late Sept that should work out nicely, you interested?
GKD
WiB
25/03/2013 at 19:58
I am not sure I would do the ultra again, you do a lap of the marathon course then the 10k course. At the last checkpoint I had to explain I needed to dib in and complete the last couple miles and not continue on the marathon course again. Then had to explain at the finish that I had finished! They didn't seem to be able to follow all the races going on.

The marathon would be good though and no need to repeat any of the course.

Does he need help? What are you going to be doing?
WiB
GKD
25/03/2013 at 20:08
He needs pacers and/or crew, happy to do whatever reslly
GKD
27/03/2013 at 18:57

Hi everyone Alistair and I are in the process of creating a podcast about British Ultra Running. What sort of things would like on a show dedicated to UK events? The show is aimed at wannabe, mid packers and back packers not the racing elite like so many of the shows are!

If you would like to come on and talk about your favourite race or run then give me a shout and we will try and get you on

Edited: 27/03/2013 at 19:12
03/04/2013 at 10:33

Hi,

New to the forum and been lurking a little bit on this thread and finally plucked up courage to join in! Feel a bit daunted though as from what I can see most of you on here are now ULTRA RUNNERS rather than wannabees!

I've fancied having a go at ultra running for about 3 years now, but having 2 babies in the meantime has rather got in the way! My youngest is now 7 months and I've been back running properly since Christmas and now daring to think about putting my Ultra plan into action! I'm currently back up to about 15 miles on my LSR and increasing gradually and I've been starting to put together a few ideas for the races I would like to do this year. At the moment the plan is to do the OMM Lite in May, Fairlands Valley Challenge (Marathon option) in July, and if all of that goes well then maybe have a crack at the Round Ripon in early October. Does that sound sensible?

Have so many questions about going long, so will try not to bombard you all with them all at once! I'm trying to read back through some of this thread, but it is a bit long and unwieldy now! At the moment I am starting to experiment with hydration and nutrition and my major query at the moment is about sports drinks/electrolytes... At the moment I can't find a sports drink that doesn't make me feel sick (admittedly have only tried a limited number so far) - I just don't like the taste. Does anyone just use water? Or would using squash help? If I don't add electrolytes to my water then can I get them from food? Sorry if this is a really dumb question!

As you can see I am really buzzing about starting out on the challenge of running ultras, so I apologise for the essay! Any hints and tips gratefully received!

WiB
03/04/2013 at 10:54

LNandB - That sounds like a reasonable plan. You can have a solid 6 months of training leading up to the ultra.

With regards to nutrition. Try different foods but try and find a gel that works for you. If you can find a gel that works it makes life easier as they are small, easy to store, resistant to any kit getting wet etc. So in short very handy. Real food is good, so do try that out. Anything from nuts, fruit, sweets, chocolate, sandwiches etc. If you can carry it and stomach it then its good. Generally that is the type of food on offer at checkpoints too.

Personally I use gels and fruit to snack on at checkpoints. Also get partial to the odd sweet like jelly babies.

In terms of drink, I used to use elete electrolyte in my water. Now I don't bother, I just use plain water. It has made no difference to me at all, in fact I prefer just having water. You typically get the stuff you need from eating but there are also tabs called S-caps which are quite popular in longer races. Just pop a tablet and away you go. Much better than faffing aroudn trying to poor bits of powder into a bladder etc.

WiB
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.