wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,241 to 7,260 of 7,892 messages
18/02/2014 at 10:46

I am new to Ultra running and am nervously excited about the Imber 33 miler I have entered March 9th. I was recommended the "Relentless Forward Progress" book (cheap on amazon) as it is geared towards newbies. I have found one of the training plans in there to be brilliant and even though my average weekly mileage is now 46 per week I have found the training easier than when I trained for London last year.

A typical week consists of Mon-rest, Tues-7, Weds-5, Thurs-7, Fri-rest, Sat-24, Sun-7. You also get mini taper weeks every third week where Sat & Sun become more balanced say: Sat-14, Sun-10

Cant believe that two years ago I couldn't run for 10 minutes without having to stop and now I am going to be an Ultra runner - relentless forward progress!!!

18/02/2014 at 10:52

Booktrunk, I'm firmly convinced that for people at the back end of ultras (which definately includes me) a decent hike is as good training as anything.  After all, I'll spend a big chunk of any event doing it.

18/02/2014 at 19:55

On that note, some elite ultra runners include walking as part of their routine.  They usualy measure it in terms of time spent on their feet i.e. eight hours. 

19/02/2014 at 00:25

Sure it's been covered before in this thread, but just to throw it out there, don't forget to add in some core strength training. I do 4 runs a week and one circuit session at a gym focusing on core, upper body and legs, building to 2 a week in the run up to a race. i'm usually thankful for those towards the end of a long run!

WiB
19/02/2014 at 08:14

Out of interest cookiecrew, what benefit do you see from those sessions? How are they beneficial to you at the end of a long run?

I include plenty of hills in my training. Mainly because I love hills, but also because in my opinion running up hill is the single best strength exercise a runner can do.

I do no specific gym sessions or anything like that, just the occasional bouldering when I can. 

WiB
19/02/2014 at 12:14

I would second the core body stuff. I try and do a routine at least once a week with a balance ball and this seems to help me keep form on longer runs. 

19/02/2014 at 19:23

Maybe you could run fast if you did some gym work WiB 

19/02/2014 at 21:52

exactly that, feels like i can keep it together for longer. i swapped out a days running for circuits/core and it seemed to help, injury niggles dropped, noticed improvements on quicker races too so stuck with it. agree r.e. hills. i try to run them when i can - not easy in east anglia tho!

WiB
19/02/2014 at 23:04

I'm trying my best Tiago! Getting stuck in to your TP100 training now? 

Fair enough CC, if you are running better and injured less then that is good.

WiB
19/02/2014 at 23:47

I was a weightlifter before I was a runner, so I never had any issues with core posture.

20/02/2014 at 12:50

Well bless you for trying.

No specific training, just lots of long slow miles, and way too much on roads because of the floods. Can't wait to hit the trails properly soon - I hope. Getting excited about the 100 already.

04/03/2014 at 20:09

popping by to make sure all you boys are behaving....seems ok....

04/03/2014 at 20:10

tiago are things drying out where you are? Ridgeway is v v muddy

04/03/2014 at 20:52

I'm right on the Thames, Looks, so not what I'd call dry yet, but slightly less oceanic than before. Are you training again?

04/03/2014 at 22:27

Good luck cragchick. Hope you are back to speed quite quickly

In general, I am finding P&D training program for a spring marathon has really given my general running a boost. Thoroughly recommend it as a way of upping milage n fitness and then carrying on when it finishes with a ultra plan (or your own plan). 

07/03/2014 at 17:07

hello CC hows you? my training sounds much like yours im afrsid, crammed in here n there between the shuttling of  children to lessons/activities of various kinds.. ive been running to Zumba and home after when I can to add a few mles in-good practise for the dark/use of headtorch too!! how did you hurt your back??

we really need to sort out an event we can meet at Cragchick

08/03/2014 at 12:22

cragc, ouch that's bad news on the back issue, hope it sorts soon. typical though isn't it , not practising what we preach, I do it all day at work then go home and wont touch a painkiller for love nor money even though I know very well itd go in half the time if I did- mind you that's IF you could find tablets in my house. considering my job my house is a pretty useless place to be ill !

thatd be cool if you could get in NDW100, we could chat for most of that im sure lol!

sky running is still going on in the back of my mind too, Itd be post  NDW100 so id have that training to rely on at least ( I think ) so we will see. I might see you at either

08/03/2014 at 12:23

cragc, check your inbox. you have mail

09/03/2014 at 16:43

So the Thames looks dry? (er)

Edited: 09/03/2014 at 16:43
GKD
09/03/2014 at 17:17

The Thames is a river. It's highly unlikely to be dry

GKD
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.