wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,261 to 7,280 of 8,271 messages
03/04/2013 at 10:54

I think hydration is just what works for you. You can take something like S-Cap tablets for your minerals/elecrolytes if you just want to drink water. Then you can get your carbs from solids. Just experiment in your training.

And welcome along.

03/04/2013 at 10:55

As usual WiB is faster than me.

WiB
03/04/2013 at 11:06

Tiago! How's tricks? been racing much recently? Building up to SDW100 ok?

WiB
GKD
03/04/2013 at 11:08
Don't listen to WiB LN, I used to think we was powered by sunlight and shot bloks but after a long run with him on Monday I found out he doesn't even need the shot bloks.
Personally, and it is a personal thing, I can't stand the taste of anything in my water when I run long, nuun or zero tends to get a little stickly when you're on your fourth of fifth bottle on a long run, these days I just add a few drops of elete to the bottle/bladder or if I'm out for more than ten hours I'll take some s caps with me. No fuss, no taste and easily digestible.
As for what to eat as both of the guys above said find out what works for you. The most important thing is to find a gel that works, if you can do that everything else is just an eating experiment and who doesn't enjoy that?
GKD
03/04/2013 at 11:18

Hey WiB, I'm good thanks. SDW50 should tell me where I'm at. Are you there in any capacity?

WiB
03/04/2013 at 11:35

Did you get your coffee Lirish? It must have planted a seed in my mind as I fancied one most of the way home!

I will be at the start Tiago, not sure where else throughout the day but I will be about. Will try to catch you in the morning to say hello.

WiB
03/04/2013 at 11:45

Some very quick replies and very helpful, thank you. Good to know that just using water may actually be a reasonable plan. Is Elete tasteless?

WiB
03/04/2013 at 11:48

Elete is pretty much tasteless unless you really load your water up with it.

WiB
03/04/2013 at 11:53

May give that a try as well then. Thanks WiB.

GKD
03/04/2013 at 12:04
I did thanks, coffee, pasty and a copy of the times on the train back from Brighton, what could be better
GKD
03/04/2013 at 13:47

Nice one, it'd be good to catch up.

03/04/2013 at 16:41

LNandB: Welcome! Regarding your specific query on drinks, I recommend Elete - it's just salts, with no flavourings or anything, so no nasty aftertaste and nothing to upset your stomach. You can buy it online, in a handy 20 mL container, then in much larger bottles once you know you're going to use it (I just bought  480 mL bottle which should sort me for the rest of this year and next year). I keep the 20 mL bottle in my backpack so I can add some in when I top up the water bladder (I use a bladder rather than bottles).

...and I see WiB got in before I sent my post.

03/04/2013 at 18:37

Hihi guys,

sometime since i posted, i dnfed in my previous ultra, got lost badly xD. 

03/04/2013 at 19:55

LNandB , ( why do you all pick such complicated names to type??), agree with the boys that its a personal preference thing and after a while you whittle it all down to what does the job best for you.  the sports drinks are pretty and ive never tolerated them. plain  water  for me too oand S-caps if really hot.

food= anything

and yeah, WiB is always gonna be safe coz im never gonna be fast enough to catch him even if he ran in treacle

03/04/2013 at 21:22

Very little to add to the sports drink / electrolyte discussion other than to support others in the recommendation of Elete, which I use both in water and from time to time to snap me out of a 'bonk' having read somewhere that a few drops in the mouth can work wonders which it appears to do. As an alernative I do very much like nuun coke flavour tablets and can eat my own bodyweight in cola bottles running or otherwise.

03/04/2013 at 21:23

Edred - Tough luck fella, which Ultra did you opt for the 'bonus' miles on?

03/04/2013 at 23:04

Alistair: yes, I've done that a couple of times as well (Elete neat into my mouth).

04/04/2013 at 09:39

Ha ha, sorry loulabell - I wanted a different user name which was simpler, but it was already taken!

Have ordered some Elete to try. Hoping it arrives in time for this weekend's long run!

06/04/2013 at 15:51

How we all doing.  I have put a post on here before when i was contemplating doing an ultra.  Now I've taken the plunge and signed up for the stathspey ultra in August 24th.  Its my first ever race, so to speak, ive done a 10k hill race and came last, but never did a marathon so I'm training like mad within reason.

My question is :- I did a 10 miler today on the west highland way time 2:08.26. It was my long slow day, but is this pace too slow or should i have ramped it up a bit.  second question :- what do other people do to cross train?

Cheers Craig

Edited: 06/04/2013 at 15:52
06/04/2013 at 17:45
I'm going to have a crack at continuing home after the Manchester Marathon in a few weeks. This should put me over the 30 miles. Is that long enough to count as an ultra? Or am I just cooling down from a gentle run compared to some
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.