wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,301 to 7,320 of 8,237 messages
GKD
14/04/2013 at 18:37
Thanks T Rex, probably the same one indeed
GKD
14/04/2013 at 18:56

T Rex- dont say that!! i like my events hot

14/04/2013 at 19:06

I'm doing the London Marathon next weekend, having done 1 marathon before.  I'd love to do the Cardiff Ultra, as I'm from Brecon originally.  However, a couple of questions - do you need to be used to running in Trail shoes as I only ever do road running, how long will it need to train, and does anyone have a training programme?

14/04/2013 at 19:08

Easier way to ignore, hold cursor over users avatar on left and in pop up window 2 options, message or ignore.

Well done to all in SDW50 sounds like conditions were not the best, still fun though I'm sure!

GKD
14/04/2013 at 19:14
Teresa isn't the Cardiff ultra on the Taff trail? Or am
I thinking of a different race? Remind us of the distance and terrain if it isn't that one
GKD
14/04/2013 at 19:20

Yes, it's on the Taff trail - 50 miles.

GKD
14/04/2013 at 19:25
Shoes are entirely a personal choice, very few of us would always wear pure trail shoes, it depends very much on your personal likes, the type of trail you're running and most importantly the weather. Road shoes that would be perfectly adequate on some trails when it's dry would be a liability if it was wet. There are plenty of hybrid shoes out there with road cushioning and off road grip
As for a training plan google is your friend, there's loads out there, don't be afraid to tailor it to how you feel and it's a guide, not a blueprint.
GKD
14/04/2013 at 19:30

Thanks GKD, I'll see how I get on next Sunday and possibly take it from there!

GKD
14/04/2013 at 19:33
Well if you decide to for it best of luck. Despite ultra seemingly being the new triathlon 50 miles isn't something to be taken lightly, it'll take a significant amount of training to step up from a marathon to make the experience sn enjoyable one rather than a horribly painful one
GKD
14/04/2013 at 19:39

Sage advice as usual from GKD to borrow from David Horton 'Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional'.

14/04/2013 at 19:44
Thanks for the support chaps. The race felt like survival at times, but that's the point, right? It was tough, more through wind and rain than the mud, but it was supposed to be. Great stuff. Very impressed by Centurion Running. Good times.
GKD
14/04/2013 at 19:57
That's a great quote Alistair and it illustrates perfectly one of my bug bears about some runners. Time and time again I've heard, in conversations and on here, runners going on about finding the toughest suffer fest then can, as if being in constant pain is somehow enjoyably.
As David Horton said, you will find pain in all we do, the simple action of running brings with it pain, it's how we'll we prepare and adapt to it that minimises our suffering. And therein lies the difference.
To those who bleat on about the toughest this or the hardest that, just don't train for six months then run a fifty if that's what you want, you'll suffer plenty believe me. I get my enjoyment but defeating my inner chimp ( see The Chimp Paradox if you have o idea what I mean) and taking pleasure in the journey, even if it's a painful one
GKD
14/04/2013 at 20:17

Teresa,  there are lots of training plans - I suggest you go look at links starting from http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/training/ for example. I used the Ultraladies 50M training plan, approximately, for my first 50-miler and it worked for me (http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-50m.asp). There are also good plans and lots of other info in "Relentless Forward Progress"

As for trail versus road shoes, it's not just the shoes, it's getting used to running on trail, while I strongly recommend if you're used to doing all your running on road.

Good luck!

15/04/2013 at 10:12

Definitely agree with you on that Alistair and GKD. Yes, any hard physical challenge is going to hurt, but suffering really badly generally smacks of poor preparation (with the exception of injury, etc. on the day) and shouldn't be something to be proud of in my opinion! I really don't get the fetish for suffer-fest events - I want something where I am going to work hard, but also be able to enjoy the experience and the atmosphere.

WiB
15/04/2013 at 10:29

Tiago - Well done dude. I was out on the course before registration so didn't get a chance to catch up before the race. Was stood at the gate a couple of miles in though, spotted you but a bit late as I just noticed the green NB shoes at the last second!

WiB
15/04/2013 at 13:57

Teresa L - I certainly wouldn't do Cardiff Ultra this year!!  The best approach is to get a good base of marathon running.  I did 14 before my first ultra. In your long runs you would need to build up from 20-22 in normal marathon training to more like 30-32+  It's a big jump and you have to consider nutrition, etc.

Cardiff ultra is mostly on tarmac so road shoes would be suitable.  It might be rather long for your first ultra.  Try a 50K or e.g. Dartmoor Discovery (32 miles).

JeremyG - didn't know that!  An even quicker way of getting rid of pests.

loulabell - is that right?  How about Badwater 135?  That should be nice and warm.  The advised water intake is 1L every two miles.

15/04/2013 at 14:27
Cheers WiB. I was probably going too fast, right? I should have mentioned the white compressport calf sleeves and yellow cap. I really enjoyed the event, looking forward to revisiting the route in June and maybe actually seeing the views.
15/04/2013 at 14:54

Thanks for your advice all, I'll definitely take it on board.

Edited: 15/04/2013 at 14:57
WiB
15/04/2013 at 16:07

That's it mate. No time for chit chat eh Good stuff. Hope you recover quickly but don't rush it!

I wasn't racing Jeremy but it looked so much fun 3 of us popped out at about midnight to run around a bit more!

Edited: 15/04/2013 at 16:08
WiB
GKD
15/04/2013 at 18:26
Really WiB? That doesn't sound like much fun after an 18 hour day, not in that weather, must have been important?
GKD
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.