wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,321 to 7,340 of 7,874 messages
WiB
15/04/2013 at 10:29

Tiago - Well done dude. I was out on the course before registration so didn't get a chance to catch up before the race. Was stood at the gate a couple of miles in though, spotted you but a bit late as I just noticed the green NB shoes at the last second!

WiB
15/04/2013 at 13:57

Teresa L - I certainly wouldn't do Cardiff Ultra this year!!  The best approach is to get a good base of marathon running.  I did 14 before my first ultra. In your long runs you would need to build up from 20-22 in normal marathon training to more like 30-32+  It's a big jump and you have to consider nutrition, etc.

Cardiff ultra is mostly on tarmac so road shoes would be suitable.  It might be rather long for your first ultra.  Try a 50K or e.g. Dartmoor Discovery (32 miles).

JeremyG - didn't know that!  An even quicker way of getting rid of pests.

loulabell - is that right?  How about Badwater 135?  That should be nice and warm.  The advised water intake is 1L every two miles.

15/04/2013 at 14:27
Cheers WiB. I was probably going too fast, right? I should have mentioned the white compressport calf sleeves and yellow cap. I really enjoyed the event, looking forward to revisiting the route in June and maybe actually seeing the views.
15/04/2013 at 14:54

Thanks for your advice all, I'll definitely take it on board.

Edited: 15/04/2013 at 14:57
WiB
15/04/2013 at 16:07

That's it mate. No time for chit chat eh Good stuff. Hope you recover quickly but don't rush it!

I wasn't racing Jeremy but it looked so much fun 3 of us popped out at about midnight to run around a bit more!

Edited: 15/04/2013 at 16:08
WiB
GKD
15/04/2013 at 18:26
Really WiB? That doesn't sound like much fun after an 18 hour day, not in that weather, must have been important?
GKD
15/04/2013 at 19:23

WiB it's things like that that makes completely stumps "normal" people!
Having failed to find a 100 that fits with work schedule I have opted for a 24hr run. 5 mile loop but at least it is forest/trail. Plus side is won't have to carry much I suppose.
Anyone done a 24hr before?
TRex - never ever fancied Badwater and if the recommended fluid is as you say that just reinforces it! That's a world of pain I just don't need.

WiB
15/04/2013 at 20:02
GKD - Yeah kind of was necessary! You know the story
Jeremy - I have not done a 24 hour so can't really help but enjoy.
WiB
15/04/2013 at 20:24
Search and rescue?
GKD
15/04/2013 at 21:01
I was teasing WiB, he James and Drew went out looking for a runner who'd gotten lost and wasn't able to give a decent description of where he was
GKD
15/04/2013 at 23:11

WiB: really glad he was found okay.

Horrific news from Boston.

16/04/2013 at 17:08

JeremyG - I did the Adidas Thuder Run last year and really enjoyed it; that is a 10K loop and it was hot so took a small handheld most laps. I really enjoyed it, so much so have gone for a timed track ultra this year. The things i enjoyed most about the Thunder Run were:

1) Support the route wound its way through the overnight camping a few times a lap and solo runners got superb encurgement (most of the runners t this event run as part of a relay team).

2) It was really upifting to run with the super quick club runners and the charity joggers (I don't use that as a pejorative term) fightng their way round their 1 or possibly 2 laps of 24HRS, reminded me of when 10K seemed a stupidly long distance to run.

3) Just as I got  bored of the loop, it got dark and then in turn got light again

If you are bored and want to read about some of the mistakes I made, you can read my full report here: http://blog.trailrunner.org.uk/2012/07/adidas-thunder-run-race-report-tr24-is.html

16/04/2013 at 17:13

Hopefully you will have stumbled across it already if not .... Tim Bateson, Phil Turton and I have had a crack at putting togther a podcast on trail running - The British Trail Running Podcast.

The podcast is a 'non-elite' view of UK fell, trail and ultra running we hope to put out a show a month, much to our disbelief more than 200 people have downloaded the first episode in the first 24 HRS. Some have even managed to get to the end of the 3 hour ultra podcast.

For more information and to downoad the podcast visit:

http://www.trailrunner.org.uk/

GKD
16/04/2013 at 20:10
Ok choices choices and you lot can help me decide.

I've ptty much been out injured since the Winter 100, I'm still running but at roughly half my previous weekly mileage and no real speed/hill sessions. I've missed my first three races this year because of it.

I got a ballot place in London through work and basically I have several choices as to what to do.

1. Run the race and accept that I haven't had the base training to try for a pb, soft as it is

2. Use the day as a long run and run there and back, around 48 miles or so. Bear in mind that it is all on road and like most of us that's not where my heart lies

3. Defer to next year.

4. Mtfu you little princess

5. Go for a 30 miler on the downs instead

So what say you?
GKD
16/04/2013 at 20:13

Defer to next year when you can use it as a speed session and go for a 30 miler on the downs instead.

16/04/2013 at 20:15
Option 1 if you ask me. 26 miles is not to be sniffed at, and you can't pb all the time. Accept it as training, realise that most people will never be able to run that far, enjoy the occasion and the fact you're hopefully injury free.
16/04/2013 at 20:31

Thanks Alistair some good reading there, it's the Run24 I'm doing but looks the same format as Thunder run. Good luck with the podcast.
GKD - if a long term goal is to run a road marathon PB then defer, if not option 1 and just have a fun day out with no pressure or defer and 5 if that's not your idea of a fun day out!

WiB
16/04/2013 at 20:38
1 go hard as you can.

or

4 go and have some fun.
WiB
16/04/2013 at 20:49

1 or 4 (which probably amount to the same thing really...)

And enjoy the occasion!

16/04/2013 at 22:47

As Alistair - 3 and 5. But if you do 3 don't say you're doing 5, obviously.

Hope the injury's improving.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.