wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,341 to 7,360 of 8,331 messages
17/04/2013 at 12:35
cragchick wrote (see)

if it was me, it'd be 3 and 5, otherwise if you go for 1 then definitely 4 as well!

MTFU - man the f**k up

Ah, thanks cragchick.

GKD - I would say MTFU then. But I am new to ultra running, in fact I havent started training for my first race yet due to injury so maybe I'm not best placed to say that ! So, I would say defer and go for a run alongs the downs

17/04/2013 at 13:13

Hi carterusm - saw what you said about ybeing injured over on the M'cr marathon thread  -sympathies. Good luck for training for Chester, and hopefully I'll see you at Ladybower (I'm aiming for that as my final 50-miler of the year).

17/04/2013 at 13:55

If you like the craic of london and can make it fun and leave the watch and chip at home then do london.  otherwise think longer term and go for the downs, and defer (can you still??)

has anyone done marlborough downs 33 miles??  

17/04/2013 at 15:26

Hi Debra - My plan, as it is at the moment, is to still be at Ladybower but will probably only run the 20 miler as my last LSR in preperation for Chester. It's my first year of running this sort of distance so feel that a 50 miler 2 weeks before racing (rather than just running) a marathon will be too much for me.

How are you other races going this year ?

17/04/2013 at 16:56

Laura - I did Marlborough 33 as my first step up to ultra running back in 2009. I did it off the back of training for Shakespeare Marathon which was about three weeks beforehand. I LOVED it. Is a nice low key event, and the mixture of categories, a 20-miler and a walking one makes for lots of chatty happy people near the end when you need the encouragement.

It's pretty hilly though and in places it's quite hard underfoot - chalky downland. You get very comprehensive route directions but they can be a bit overwhelming to read so good to plot on a map if poss. Most of it is pretty easy to follow, but a couple of bits were confusing. There are checkpoints providing squash and biscuits and the odd pear drop!!  I have done it twice now and if I still lived in the South of England I'd do it every year.  If you want any more info let me know.

17/04/2013 at 17:20

Well, Thames Trot 50 I entered as a simple-to-navigate well-marked trail, mostly flat, along the Thames. Due to the flooding it didn't quite turn out like that, but I finished, eventually. SDW50 was on Saturday, in wet and very windy conditions; my time was awful, but again I finished. My ankle (injured at end of November) is a lot better than it was, but still not 100%, and I've lost a lot of speed due to the enforced reduced training. Details of my experiences of TT50 and SDW50 are available at http://runningape.wordpress.com/ if you want them! Now looking forward to NDW50 in May (expecting to be slower than last year, alas), and then Lakeland 50 in August - then Ladybower to finish, as I said.

And yes, think you're wise to go for the shorter version at Ladybower this year in the circumstances - there's always next year!

18/04/2013 at 14:44

laura ive wanted to do Marlborough 33 for past 2 years! everything else seems to land on the that date though

18/04/2013 at 17:26

so now my name has come up with a place for the NDW 100 ... I have entered an Adventure Triathlon that same day (and purchased wetsuit for open water swimming ) ... oooh decisions, the triathlon just down the road in Aviemore, or 100-miler on my 'home turf' training grounds with all the logistics of travel (flights etc) ... really don't know what to do!!!  Have 72 hours to decide ... my sister lives on the doorstep of the start line so that is one less thing to worry about IF I go for it ...

18/04/2013 at 17:34

CC - Wrong thread for the post chuck; throw away the wetsuit, dispose of the uni-tard, assign the spreadsheets to the bin, stop following 'would carbon safety pins, give me a 10000000th of a second improvement' threads, strap on your trail shoes and go run for a 100 miles!

18/04/2013 at 19:21

ha ha, am not that kind of triathlete ... by a long stretch ... like never ever ever done one before!!! The wetsuit will stay regardless, swimming in the Moray Firth is a wee bit chilly ...  If the NDW wasn't so flippin far away it would be a no-brainer

GKD
18/04/2013 at 19:29
I'm with Alistair CC, you're really asking the wrong people here.

By the way, what's an adventure triathalon? Is that where you use AppleWorks instead of Excel?
GKD
18/04/2013 at 19:43

Hey cragchick, come on down - I'll look after you at Knockholt Pound! (I'm going to be volunteering there for NDW100)

18/04/2013 at 19:54

now that's waaaaay too techie for me!  Never used an Apple product in my life ... adventure = loch swim, mbk ride, trail run.

Need to check out flight situation first - that's the expensive bit (well that and the race itself!), get childcare agreed ... racing is always the easy bit!

WiB
18/04/2013 at 20:38
NDW!!!
WiB
19/04/2013 at 09:56

Sounds as though you are tempted by NDW Cragchick!

And what is your decision on London GKD?

On a separate note, has anyone tried the OMM I-Gamy water bottle holders? Have an OMM Ultra 12 pack, which I love, but as a short female with short arms, I can't reach to get bottles out of the side pouches on the move so was thinking of trying these.

Also, was wondering about warm layers for long races... What do people tend to carry? Fleece?

19/04/2013 at 10:58

OMM I-Gammy - Didn't do it for me, I couldn't find a way to strap them down sufficiently, they swang around. I have not tried them but Raidlight front bottle mounts seem to get a better report.

Warm Layers - I have not run extreme distance / cold events however on 50 mile ultras and long training runs in exposed parts I have never had need of a fleece. I personally would go for layers over one thicker / heavier piece, my favourite bit of clothing is a Merino Wool long sleeve from Icebreaker (GT200) which is still warm when wet.

GKD
19/04/2013 at 12:34
Forgot to update this, thanks all for your input, I've decided to defer London until next year and go for a long run instead.
I met Daz yesterday at the expo and he's in somewhat on a similar position to me, similar injury and diagnosis and he's wondering whether to race London or just potter around. The differenc ending his potter around will still beat my pb by a considerable amount.
Added to that I just couldn't face a forty five miler on the road, nice thought but feck me I'd be bored senseless, so if anyone is out on the north downs tomorrow or Sunday and see a grinning loon ambling past say hi.
LN I use the raid light bottle holders on my OMM pack so I can't say what the others are like, I will say though that all non standard I.e to built into the pack, bottle holders will bounce around, being additions they're not balanced on the pack. It may be worth I'd you want to go in that direction finding a pack with them built in?
GKD
19/04/2013 at 17:08

so me wanting to yell MTFU at you isnt gonna help now then?......

19/04/2013 at 17:11
cragchick wrote (see)

agree with Peronel - London is vile, done it twice and sworn never ever ever ever again!!! And definitely not if I wanted a road marathon PB, which despite my love of all things trail and mountain, I still do

CC, im with you on this type of thing, ive never done London marathon and have no desire to. its not where my heart is and i know id detest it so wouldnt take up a place that someone else so depserately wanted. too many people not enough trees for my liking

Edited: 19/04/2013 at 17:12
19/04/2013 at 19:15

ha ha LLB, that's EXACTLY my sentiments

Layers - I have done a few ultras with disgusting weather, I usually carry a lightweight windproof layer (Marmot have one that packs down like a crisp packet), and a thicker long-sleeved thermal (I have a Helly Henson Frost Hoody which is fab - in fact I love them so much I have three), if it's really vile then I also have a lighter weight fleece (this is for races I have done in late Autumn or winter or in more remote areas).  On my winter training runs up here in NE Scotland I have been carrying all of the above on recent runs!!  But now the sun is shining again and it's safe to leave some of that at home now I think.

I also have the OMM 12, it's a little too long on the straps but is sooooo comfy. I use a bladder in it, which is a pain on longer ultras because of the refil factor but the comfort of it outweighs that, and I tend to use it on longer, colder ultras where I am carrying more kit and perhaps not so fussed about the extra minutes wasted on the filling up.

Discussing NDW logistics with hubby tonight - best start inbibing him with wine now - if I can get childcare sorted, I'm up for it!

Edited: 19/04/2013 at 19:17
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.