wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,381 to 7,400 of 8,177 messages
11/05/2013 at 15:21

Not sure as have only been skimming ... although WIB has gone missing in action I think!

11/05/2013 at 15:29

i think WiB is ok, ive heard from him, hes alive, just working hard i hope

12/05/2013 at 17:14

Oh good, glad he's OK.

I have just entered this for Sept http://www.trailrunning.co.uk/index.cfm?action=event.overview&event=2013-09-14-1st-ultimate-trails-ultra-marathon-100km-50km after faffing around trying to sort ever complicated logistics for other races - need something that won't leave me massively out of pocket if I can't make it for some reason. Flights and accomodation soon add on hugely to a race entry cost!

14/05/2013 at 07:46

that looks lovely cragc!! might join you!

14/05/2013 at 07:54

CC - Does look awesome, it's just getting so tough now to pick between races there are so many of them.  It's only May and I am already fretting about which races to do next year .... ....

14/05/2013 at 09:20

Glad you've found something to suit you, cragchick. Might look at the 100km version for next year - I've got my 5 x 50 miles booked for this year and I'm not looking for anything else! I'm even thinking of having a rest after Ladybower and then working on recovering some speed over the winter.

14/05/2013 at 09:58

That looks great CC. Will add that to my list of possibles for the future! So much awesome stuff to do, so little time...

Glad you have found something that fits in with life in general as well as inspiring you!

14/05/2013 at 11:43

Awww come on Lou, come and play!!

There are lots out there, but I guess in some ways it's easier for me to dismiss many as logistics just rule a fair amount out!  But I can drive to the Lakes, even if it is a 5-6 hour trip so a lot more flexibility. Will probably give the Lakeland 100 a go next year, but am really excited about this one as I've spent so many years and trips to the Lakes will be like trips down memory lane

By the sounds of it the rest of you have PLENTY planned!

14/05/2013 at 13:38

If you are a UK based ultra runner, then the Lakeland 50 or 100 should be in your bucket list somewhere. 

We don't have many truly international events. 

14/05/2013 at 15:26

to be fair Ben, I think a lot depends on how you like your races ... for some the mountain-based stuff just doesn't do it for them; thankfully I think we have a very diverse collection of events across our little island, from multiple laps around hampshire waste-land, coastal trails, mountain, parkland etc etc OK  not much road stuff but something for everyone, and hopefully stops races becoming seriously overcrowded AND more importantly overcrowding the countryside!! 

I also think we all need very large buckets to cope with the choice

14/05/2013 at 17:16

Ah yes, my bucket list is getting a bit out of hand!

14/05/2013 at 19:15

15/05/2013 at 19:40

This thread has gone a bit quiet recently.   Where is LIrish when you need him,....

16/05/2013 at 12:48

It's because Loulabel hasn't been around.

I could pretend to be a newbie, having run a half-marathon, wondering if it was possible to do an ultra next month, and if so what back-pack should I use.

16/05/2013 at 17:01

NUTELLA

16/05/2013 at 17:20

Now bag packs is what I like taking abouit/

16/05/2013 at 17:50

Well Spen71, now that you mention packs ....... took out a small additional mortgage and bought myself a Nathan Vaporwrap a few weeks ago, I had been mooning over the Ultimate Direction PB Adventure however it was clear fresh stock was not going to hit the UK in time for WHW (my flimsy justification for needing another pack) so the Nathan it was ..... well  i owe it an apology, I hope it doesn't know it was second choice as it is awesome, sits just right, lots of pockets, great compression and for me the holy grail front bottle holders that are lovely and secure without the usual bounce. I didn't realise how good it was until today when I took my Camelbak Octane XCT for a trot, my previous gold standard for fit and it annoyed the cr4p out of me, high praise for the Nathan indeed.

Whilst I am talking about kit I should mention the Brooks Puredrift I also acquired of late, the best minimal shoes I have bought 4mm drop with the insoles in and zero drop without; a really superb fit, love the band that holds the forefoot in place. Perhaps the most over used similie for shoe tests is 'feel like slippers' well 100% justified use of the similie this time. Midsole is tip top loads of feel but just a tad more cushion for those longer runs than my New Balance MR00. 

Hopefully MRS S is not reading this, just a few WHW purchases left most notably trail shoes (I'd love to attack it in my Vivo Breatho Barefoot but suspect I would mash my feet doing so) short list so far:

Inov8 Roclite 243

Merrell Mix Master 2

Salomon S Lab Sense / Sense Ultra / Mantra

Brooks Puregrit

Quick trip to Accelerate in Sheffield tomorrow to play with some shoes, happy days.

Edited: 16/05/2013 at 17:52
16/05/2013 at 22:07

I have the puregrit and think they are great, very good for mixed terrain and even ok on a bit of road.

16/05/2013 at 23:11

I wear my roclite 268s for pretty much anything, if I hadn't pulled out of WHW this year, they are what I was planning to wear. They are like my slippers!

I love my Nathan vest, such a fantastic bit of kit for vertically challenged ladies!

17/05/2013 at 08:55

I like the pure grits too, but I think they're a bit too much of a road shoe, and struggle with anything other than dry, packed trail. I'm going to go back to my mt1010s, I think.

Alaistair, I know in trail running we have to lose our inhibitions sometimes, but I don't think it's appropriate to go around mooning at race vests.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.