wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,401 to 7,420 of 8,331 messages
21/05/2013 at 10:41

Well, an odd weekend for me...

Supposed to be doing OMM Lite in the Peak District, but it was cancelled on the Friday night after a landowner withdrew permission at the last minute. Gutting for the organisers (and all the competitors) and just shows how much we are at the mercy of individual landowners in being able to enjoy organised off road events.

However, took the opportunity of being in the area to get out and do a 12 miler with around 2000ft of ascent, so got some training benefit out of the weekend at least! Was a great opportunity to practise run/walk strategy properly (most of my running is in the flatlands of East Anglia, so any walk practice is normally rather contrived!) and found this went really well.

Didn't realise Nathan vests were good with bottles - I had thought that they were mainly for bladders - might try and have a look at one at some point!

21/05/2013 at 11:55

LNandB - that's just awful but yes, landowners hold big sway on events. I know Adventurehub had to abandon their Northumberland ultra after just two years of running it as the landowners made it so darn hard for them. Just pleased I got to do the first running of the event!!  Saw those OMM Lite advertised and thought it looked good (have done various KIMMs / OMMs & Saunders over the years), but at least you got some good training in!

Re the vests - I sometimes just put a small bottle in the front chest pocket and use pack for carrying items.

21/05/2013 at 15:07

CRAGC, thats what i do, a small slim bottle fits in the front pocket of the nathan vest

21/05/2013 at 15:47

Is what I'll be doing on Lairig Ghru race I think, and carrying a small cup in the hope there will be plenty of water in the streams to drink en-route.

21/05/2013 at 17:00

I'm doing Endurancelife Flete ultra (36 mi) at the weekend.  hopefully no landowner issues there - a lot of the route is on a private estate not normally accessible to the public.  Looking forward to the estuary crossing which, according to the SW Coast Path Guide, is fordable only 1 hour each side of low tide.

I'll be scrutinizing tide tables, otherwise it could be up to a 800m swim!!  Don't think I can swim that far.

21/05/2013 at 18:53

that'll be fun then TRex!!  There is some potential wading on Lairig Ghru.  Need to start scouring the map actually as course is not marked on the day ... so I'll be hoping for nice clear weather, a few weeks away yet though.

21/05/2013 at 20:27

Nathan - The Vapowrap fits two, up to 750ml, bottles in the front and keeps them very stable indeed, a small amount of sway and no bounce when they are full as they empty the sway reduces to nearly nowt. Slim does seem to help I am  using the OMM Ultra bottle however I suspect the best fit will be proprietary drinks bottles i.e. just shove your over the counter Lucozade bottle in and away you go.

Shoes - After the longest search, forum posts, youtube reviews etc settled on a short list as per earlier post and then bought Patagonia Fore Runner Evo which I had not even heard of! Proper Ronseal shoe, light, low, comfy, grippy, no bells or whistles! Just a cracking pair of no nonsense mixed terrain trail shoes.

Edited: 21/05/2013 at 20:30
21/05/2013 at 20:49

Was a real pity CragC as the area was fab and was looking forward to the slightly more relaxed format! Hopefully they won't be put off and will run it again next year...

Flete Ultra sounds fun TRex - another wonderful area to run in. Hope you have a good outing.

24/05/2013 at 18:01

Signed up the other day, for my first ultra, in September. The Bideford 50k....looks  hilly, but the area is amazing, so hopefully it will take my mind off of it.

24/05/2013 at 20:25

Hi Gobby and welcome.

24/05/2013 at 20:57

hi gobby, welcome to our little town here

im thinking of doing Bideford as part of a holiday perhaps.

hi Debs , How are you recovering from NDW? im all good, aches were gone by monday pm , just got a bit of a bruise on bridge of foot from too-tight lace. doh.

24/05/2013 at 21:25

Hi Lou fancy seeing you in here.

24/05/2013 at 22:08

Hi LB, recovered fine from NDW50 - just need to (a) get the (unprintable) ankle tendon sorted and (b) hope the allodynia goes away so I can get back into training for Lakelend 50. Oh well, if I can't wear running shoes it encourages me to have the rest the physio wants me to have, and I can concentrate on doing all the exercises.

How's the new house?

24/05/2013 at 22:34

Thank you Debs and Loulabell,  quite looking forward to it in some strange way..I have some mates who live that way, so wil use it as part of a catch up week end..provided I can walk afterwards.......at least to the bar..

25/05/2013 at 12:21

so long as you can drink a pint afterwards all is well

25/05/2013 at 12:21

not that i DO....id be in A&E

25/05/2013 at 19:23

Hi all,

Didnt want to start a new thread. Running the Mercury Mendip 30miler next Sunday. Feel very confident. Never ran a marathon before. Just looking at the rest of the year. How hard is the step from 30 miler to 50 miler? I was thinking about doing the Wessex Ridgeway in October. They have a 41 miler and 52 miler. I was more edging towards the 41 as a nice step up but I always feel as though I'm missing out if I don't do the whole route of an event Also has anybody else done this event?

25/05/2013 at 19:39

Hi Vicar, moving up from 30 to 50 is simply a matter of training - do the 30, have a little rest, lok at one or two of the 50-mile training plans to have an idea what mileage you need to cover, then follow one/adapt/make your own plan.

If it helps as an example of time to train up: I made the leap up from HM in October 2011 to 50K in February 2012, then marathon end of April, 30 miler early July as a training run on the way to NDW50 (50 miles) in August 2012. I put the training miles in, including back-to-backs, and really enjoyed the NDW50.

Hope you enjoy the Mercury Mendip 30.

25/05/2013 at 19:45

Hi Debra, thanks for the positve response.

What was your biggest run when training for the NDW? Or was the 50k race your longest?

25/05/2013 at 20:35

Well, the 50K was before I was training for the 50M... The longest training run after the marathon was the 30-miler, with 12 miles the next day. A look at my running diary from last year reminds me that the following weekend I did 29 along the NDW followed by 16 the following day, making that my highest mileage training weekend - that was four weeks before NDW50.

I used http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-50m.asp as a guide for my training, starting at whatever week it worked out as after I'd done my marathon and [run a couple of short races and triggered pitiformis syndrome and rested a bit.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.