wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,421 to 7,440 of 8,014 messages
08/05/2014 at 21:37

FWIW, I've never changed socks or shoes on an ultra - and that's up to 28.5 hours! If it's going to be wet then get some good draining shoes and get used to it... Get any grit out ASAP.

get out of aid stations quickly, it'll save you loads of time and later on, the mental aspect is critical. It's a warm place and often filled with people who are dropping. 

I don't slow drastically really, for a sub-24 100 my aim was 50 in 10 hours. On my first I got there in 9:45 and passed 100 in 21:43... but I start at the back, really slowly and let the speedy people go. some people like to go out hard early and tough-out the later sections - that's not my style, I prefer I more consistent, enjoyable race i have tried the go hard option, and it's not for me

08/05/2014 at 23:13

Carterusm: you're probably being a bit conservative there for a 50K. For my first 50K ( I just tried to set a pace slower than my mara pace - I think I chose c. 9.00 - 9.15 minute miles - and tried to stick with that, with minimal stops at checkpoints - and I did, pretty much and came in in just over five hours (Garmin said I averaged 9.21/mile overall) - and my GMM time was 3.47 (admittedly in 2012 with the cold and the rain and the gale-force winds). Similarly for a 30-miler, although I went a bit too fast for a while and paid for it later with my pace dropping to 9.30-10.30/mile. Which at least taught me a lesson, so NDW50 I set off more conservatively, aimed for under 10 hours, allowing for up to five mins per aid station (not that I took that long at most of them) and came in in 9.53, so I was pleased with that.

I never have managed to make myself do a set run/walk, rather "walk the hills", although on NDW50 I was leapfrogging with someone who was running faster than I was when he was running, but was walking I think 1 in 10 or 2 in 10.

08/05/2014 at 23:15

Thanks cragchick, tricialitt,cand GeeeM 

it's really useful just knowing hoe others think, it all helps us less experienced get our head around it.

i'm thinking a but like cragchicks method add a but here n there, and come up with a random figure  

09/05/2014 at 07:50

I have never done an ultra with indoor checkpoints- thst must be a whole different ball game- my longest race finished in darknesss, but the last stop was reached just in the day time, and the CP's were just by the side of the path. I only sat down to fiddle with my feet, and to re- pack my bag, but still takes a couple of minutes. To sit and rest would be fatal!

I have no idea about pacing, but the last one worked out better than others- 57miler, starting at marathon pace plus about 30 mis for the first half, and then whatever after that, but alll run- walked from the start, and I was moving past a lot of people in th elast 5 miles.

I am striclty back - of the pack, so I am working on just trying to get round without fear of being near cut- offs, and enjoying myself. I suspect that those nearer the front would wanta more aggressive strategy than me.

09/05/2014 at 11:18

Yeah I'm going to try my first run / walk full test run in training this weekend.

I think i'm doing 4/1 as my R/W strategy.

going to get some stick walking after 4 minutes of 69 miles, so might skip the first one or two

09/05/2014 at 11:35
My first in a series of articles about why I run and how I choose my races, feel free to share of you think anyone will like it
09/05/2014 at 11:46

GKD - Unless Its deliberate and I've missed something, 'failure' in the title is spelt wrong! 

Look forward to hearing how it goes though - that's a massive challenge.  And I completely get you on the fear front. 

10/05/2014 at 18:04

good grief what the heck is going on here ????! I turn my back for a minute ( well ok bit longer than that ) and the thread is full of what can only be described as essays !!

ladyfunrun, what ultra are you entering ?

10/05/2014 at 18:06

Taking into  account what uncle GKD has done so far I think he has earned the right to spell 'failure' any which way he likes id say ..........  

11/05/2014 at 06:21
Oops unfortunately that one's down to the run247 editor, I'll pass it on though
11/05/2014 at 10:20

hows Dracula Uncle G?

11/05/2014 at 10:44

That's a good read, Gary. I know that I have moved on each time I've completed a distance - knowing that I can now do the distance, and I'm too old now to worry those at the sharp end. But at the moment I am stuck at the 100 miler, as although I have completed the distance, I am still learning so much and, to be honest, I still find it scary. I guess it's when it no longer scares me that it's time to find a new challenge.

Looking forward to hearing about your next challenge, I recently heard a good podcast about the TdG, sounds amazing.

12/05/2014 at 12:19

Thanks for your advice so far, all very useful.

My runs over the weekend were focused on hills. On Saturday I ran 13 miles, all on the road, and took in 1400ft of climbing. Sunday I ran 5 miles in the peak district with 1150ft of elevation.

Today, one of my achilles is giving me a little bit of grief. I'm assuming it's because I've done more hill work than I would normally do (previously averaged about 6-8000ft per month). Is it going to be a case of me gradually increasing the elevation over a longer period of time ? I have a race in June where there is 4000ft of climbing and I am now wondering if that is going to be a bit too soon ?

Any thoughts and comments most welcome ta

12/05/2014 at 12:39

Get ready to walk some of it

Not very constructive I know, but steadily increase the amount of hill work, don't do to much to soon and end up injured, it's just standard common sense advise.

12/05/2014 at 13:14

Loulabell I've entered the Nomad 50 at the end of June.  Getting scared & excited now, I have mild PF in my right foot and have rested for a week.  I have Edinburgh Marathon in 2 weeks which is also scaring me due to the PF.  I just want it to go away so I can train! 

12/05/2014 at 13:44

Hi everyone, is there typical ratio to calculate your 100k time of a marathon time? I’m running my first 100k next month and I’m not sure what pace I should run. I ran Dublin Marathon last year in 2:54 which is 6:39 minutes a mile and I’m around that fitness level again. I was thinking of starting at around 7:30 pace and expect to slow to 8:00+ later on. Does this sound about right? I’ve been running about 80 to 100 miles a week with a longest back to back of 27/35 miles.

12/05/2014 at 14:53

Wow Badbark - that is some speed you've got there! I cant help, but good luck.  You sound in incredible shape.  

13/05/2014 at 21:10

Unfortunately a dnf for me at mile 72 of the Thames Path 100.  Severe pain at the tops of the legs, gradually losing motor ability in particularly the right leg, and in the middle of the night, unlikely as it might seem, finding I was becoming hypothermic because I was not moving fast enough to generate heat.  In fact the section miles 68-72 took three hours, between 0330-0630!!

Then 35 hours in A&E with rhabdomyolysis, which I've now had twice, so I'm having to rethink my running ambitions and stick to not much more than 50-milers for the foreseeable future.  A pity.  The health risk is too high to court with this dangerous condition.

So, my remaining ultra left after I cancel the others will be 10Peaks Brecon Beacons 55 which will now be my main target for this year.

18/05/2014 at 14:03

Please may I join in? I have been reading this thread for a while and will step out of the shadows and proclaim that I, too, harbour aspirations of being an ultra runner. I did my first 100km race two weeks ago and absolutely loved it with two more entered for September and December. I doubt that I can contribute anything of value here yet but am enjoying learning plenty .

T Rex - I read about your Thames Path experience on the other thread; I had a colleague admitted to ICU a few years ago with rhabdomylosis - I think your decision to go for lower mileages is certainly the right one if gutting I would imagine. Very pleased that you have recovered so well.

18/05/2014 at 14:36

Badbark: have you had a look at the McMillan running calculator, you can add other distances, the further your distance you can put in to base it on the closer it can get to a reasonable ball park figure. 

EDIT: it seems to be guesstimating around 8.5 hours. 

That seems to be fitting in with your estimates. 

Edited: 18/05/2014 at 14:51
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.