wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,421 to 7,440 of 8,277 messages
25/05/2013 at 23:06

Hi all

hoping for some guidance from you pros as to where and how to start on the ultra path! I have just completed my challenge of 2 marathons in a month and have discovered that far from wanting to stop I would love to go further. I am definately in to distance over speed and living in Derbyshire I am spoilt for trail runs.

so I guess my questions would be - where now with the training? Any ideas on a good first time ultra? And tips in general for the step from marathon to ultra. I am quite excited about upcoming the distance but know I need to seriously looks at training/nutrition etc. 

hopefully just keeping up with this forum will keep me on track.

some amazing achievements on here!

26/05/2013 at 14:36

Hi mouser, generally the main differences are back-to-back long training runs, going slower, and eating real food on the run. A 50K or 30 mile race is an easy step up from marathon, or there are 35 mile, 40 mile, 50 mile options etc. There's a listing of ultras at http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/races/uk.html. It might be good to choose one close to you for your first one; that way you can easily go for training/recce runs along the route - there's a section in that listing for "East Midlands" which includes Derbyshire. Also think how much ascent and descent you want to have in your first ultra, and how much navigation - you might love mapreading, or you might prefer to not have to think too much about the route when you're going the longer distance for the first time.

28/05/2013 at 18:55

Wib and Tigs, glad to see you are both doing Downs ultra -i will bring the cake...WiB ,you bring the GUs...

28/05/2013 at 19:14

What about me? What should I bring? Hagen Daaz?

28/05/2013 at 19:19

yes hun! although we will have to have ice packs to stop it melting..that or just suck it through the bladder tube ....

04/06/2013 at 14:31

At the weekend a few of us took part in Oxfams Trailtrekker 100k hike (it turned out the route was actually 107k) I was wearing my MT110s for the first 40k, so when faced with a steep descent at one point started to let gravity do the work for me, and was jogging down the hillside, the next thing I knew the other guys were all doing the same behind me so I sped up and we all had a good couple of k run down to the water stop at the bottom of the hill, after that we set off up Pen Y Ghent and then ran down the other side again.

So after what must have been at least 5k of running (more if you count the times later that I was catching up after a wee break) can I count that as my first ultramarathon? 

04/06/2013 at 23:18

What a Sunday.  What a day - we all went to Chester  .  He he - you swim in the water - you get on your bike.  Watch the chavs opening cars in the race car parks.  All the Police and they ignore you.    www.d2ride.co.uk  All in the glorious sunshine.  Some good times.  Some good shots.

06/06/2013 at 19:17

06/06/2013 at 20:01

ok...taking the plunge the Thames trot for me next year. 

not run a marathon but done some half marathons, so will be upping the training slowly

xx

06/06/2013 at 21:06

Welcome 'always trying', your in good company here, we have swung to more 'have dones' than 'wannabes' now the thread is mature however that just means there are a whole wealth of mistakes to learn from! 

06/06/2013 at 22:06

Thames trot for me too. Planning next years campaign already!

06/06/2013 at 22:45

Just don't forget to practice your long-distance road running in case it's flooded like it was this year! Also your cold-water wading...

07/06/2013 at 00:12

Thanks for the welcome.  Always happy to learn from others mistakes  

all guidance and and advice welcome!! 

x

07/06/2013 at 10:11

Hi always. There are a few of us wannabes in here amongst the more experienced runners! I'm in the same position as you in that I haven't done a marathon yet (which will be rectified in a few weeks' time!), but am aiming for the Round Ripon Ultra in early October.

GKD
07/06/2013 at 11:51

Hi always, like most forums you'll find there's a range of personalities and characts here, there's always one sarcastic, curmudgeonly old fart with a heart of gold on there too.

Except for the heart of gold, that's me

GKD
07/06/2013 at 11:59

I'll always be a wannabe, this is a sport that'll bite you on the honker if you think you've made it.

07/06/2013 at 13:48

ha ha, can't think who is curmudgeonly at all!!! Although reason I like this particular thread is that no one is (apart from the odd intruder) outright rude and offensive, we all seem like a genuinely nice bunch!!

Dirty Thirty for me tomorrow and it looks to be a bit toasty - yes - even in Scotland!! So heading off to Shiel Bridge tonight. Plan is to take it nice and easy, take in the views etc and generally not try and break myself ready for Lairig Ghru in a few weeks.

07/06/2013 at 14:58

Hi all...I'm really keen to get into ultra running myself.  Upto now my furthest runs have only been 13-15 miles plus some tri's and spotives over the years but I plan to take that up to Marathon later this year (Rivington Ultra26) and then see what I can do in 2014.

I'm marshalling at Lakeland 50 this year as well which I'm sure will either cement the idea of ultras in my mind, or put me off forever seeing just how much suffering goes on.

07/06/2013 at 16:29

LNandB My advice is jump in and do it. Done my first Ultra on Sunday. I signed up 2 weeks before lol. Yesterday signed up for a 56 miler. The more you contemplate it the less likely you are to do it I was contemplating all last year and never done it. Couple of weeks back I thought sod it. Just my penneth's worth

07/06/2013 at 16:58

Don't mind the long distance on the road Debra, just trying to get more trail races in. Would have gone for a rematch for TP100 but doesn't fit with work schedule next year which is a shame as they moved it to May.

Waiting for MDS 2015 entries to open next week. My preference is actually for Atacama crossing or Gobi march but a running buddy is dead set on MDS so decided to join him.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.