wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,421 to 7,440 of 7,874 messages
25/05/2013 at 12:21

so long as you can drink a pint afterwards all is well

25/05/2013 at 12:21

not that i DO....id be in A&E

25/05/2013 at 19:23

Hi all,

Didnt want to start a new thread. Running the Mercury Mendip 30miler next Sunday. Feel very confident. Never ran a marathon before. Just looking at the rest of the year. How hard is the step from 30 miler to 50 miler? I was thinking about doing the Wessex Ridgeway in October. They have a 41 miler and 52 miler. I was more edging towards the 41 as a nice step up but I always feel as though I'm missing out if I don't do the whole route of an event Also has anybody else done this event?

25/05/2013 at 19:39

Hi Vicar, moving up from 30 to 50 is simply a matter of training - do the 30, have a little rest, lok at one or two of the 50-mile training plans to have an idea what mileage you need to cover, then follow one/adapt/make your own plan.

If it helps as an example of time to train up: I made the leap up from HM in October 2011 to 50K in February 2012, then marathon end of April, 30 miler early July as a training run on the way to NDW50 (50 miles) in August 2012. I put the training miles in, including back-to-backs, and really enjoyed the NDW50.

Hope you enjoy the Mercury Mendip 30.

25/05/2013 at 19:45

Hi Debra, thanks for the positve response.

What was your biggest run when training for the NDW? Or was the 50k race your longest?

25/05/2013 at 20:35

Well, the 50K was before I was training for the 50M... The longest training run after the marathon was the 30-miler, with 12 miles the next day. A look at my running diary from last year reminds me that the following weekend I did 29 along the NDW followed by 16 the following day, making that my highest mileage training weekend - that was four weeks before NDW50.

I used http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-50m.asp as a guide for my training, starting at whatever week it worked out as after I'd done my marathon and [run a couple of short races and triggered pitiformis syndrome and rested a bit.

25/05/2013 at 23:06

Hi all

hoping for some guidance from you pros as to where and how to start on the ultra path! I have just completed my challenge of 2 marathons in a month and have discovered that far from wanting to stop I would love to go further. I am definately in to distance over speed and living in Derbyshire I am spoilt for trail runs.

so I guess my questions would be - where now with the training? Any ideas on a good first time ultra? And tips in general for the step from marathon to ultra. I am quite excited about upcoming the distance but know I need to seriously looks at training/nutrition etc. 

hopefully just keeping up with this forum will keep me on track.

some amazing achievements on here!

26/05/2013 at 14:36

Hi mouser, generally the main differences are back-to-back long training runs, going slower, and eating real food on the run. A 50K or 30 mile race is an easy step up from marathon, or there are 35 mile, 40 mile, 50 mile options etc. There's a listing of ultras at http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/races/uk.html. It might be good to choose one close to you for your first one; that way you can easily go for training/recce runs along the route - there's a section in that listing for "East Midlands" which includes Derbyshire. Also think how much ascent and descent you want to have in your first ultra, and how much navigation - you might love mapreading, or you might prefer to not have to think too much about the route when you're going the longer distance for the first time.

28/05/2013 at 18:55

Wib and Tigs, glad to see you are both doing Downs ultra -i will bring the cake...WiB ,you bring the GUs...

28/05/2013 at 19:14

What about me? What should I bring? Hagen Daaz?

28/05/2013 at 19:19

yes hun! although we will have to have ice packs to stop it melting..that or just suck it through the bladder tube ....

04/06/2013 at 14:31

At the weekend a few of us took part in Oxfams Trailtrekker 100k hike (it turned out the route was actually 107k) I was wearing my MT110s for the first 40k, so when faced with a steep descent at one point started to let gravity do the work for me, and was jogging down the hillside, the next thing I knew the other guys were all doing the same behind me so I sped up and we all had a good couple of k run down to the water stop at the bottom of the hill, after that we set off up Pen Y Ghent and then ran down the other side again.

So after what must have been at least 5k of running (more if you count the times later that I was catching up after a wee break) can I count that as my first ultramarathon? 

04/06/2013 at 23:18

What a Sunday.  What a day - we all went to Chester  .  He he - you swim in the water - you get on your bike.  Watch the chavs opening cars in the race car parks.  All the Police and they ignore you.    www.d2ride.co.uk  All in the glorious sunshine.  Some good times.  Some good shots.

06/06/2013 at 19:17

06/06/2013 at 20:01

ok...taking the plunge the Thames trot for me next year. 

not run a marathon but done some half marathons, so will be upping the training slowly

xx

06/06/2013 at 21:06

Welcome 'always trying', your in good company here, we have swung to more 'have dones' than 'wannabes' now the thread is mature however that just means there are a whole wealth of mistakes to learn from! 

06/06/2013 at 22:06

Thames trot for me too. Planning next years campaign already!

06/06/2013 at 22:45

Just don't forget to practice your long-distance road running in case it's flooded like it was this year! Also your cold-water wading...

07/06/2013 at 00:12

Thanks for the welcome.  Always happy to learn from others mistakes  

all guidance and and advice welcome!! 

x

07/06/2013 at 10:11

Hi always. There are a few of us wannabes in here amongst the more experienced runners! I'm in the same position as you in that I haven't done a marathon yet (which will be rectified in a few weeks' time!), but am aiming for the Round Ripon Ultra in early October.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.