wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,441 to 7,460 of 8,248 messages
07/06/2013 at 17:13
ALISTAIR STEWART 4 wrote (see)

Welcome 'always trying', your in good company here, we have swung to more 'have dones' than 'wannabes' now the thread is mature however that just means there are a whole wealth of mistakes to learn from! 

i think our Ali has summed it up nicely there agree with Tigs in that i still wont say 'im an ultrarunner' coz im waaaay down the bottom of the pile. i just hope that by sussing out the fastest shoe colour i will be able to hunt down little WiB on the trail one day

07/06/2013 at 17:15

'---old fart'?...*cant spell the other long word*.....

....whos that then uncle Lirish?

07/06/2013 at 17:56

cragchick: good luck for tomorrow - enjoy!

Jeremy: I don't really like long distances on the road, so the amended course for TT this year really didn't suit me. That said, I'm seriously considering Comrades for next year (the only road ultra I want to do), so I'm going to have to get my legs/feet more used to long distances on road...

Presently I'm being really sensible to try to get my posterior tibial tendon sorted out - doing all the exercises I'm supposed to do, and I took nearly two weeks off (no running!) and since then have been doing much reduced mileage. I also still have an "invisible blister" or pressure point just outside of centre on my left heel/Achilles tendon insertion area. Doesn't hurt at all if I run barefoot so I don't think it's Achilles tendonitis, but I have to stick on a donut shaped pad if I'm going to wear shoes (running or other).

Query for the more experienced: given I've just come away from NDW50 and before that SWD50, how much fitness will I lose by running only 3-4 times a week and not doing any runs over 10-12 miles between now and the Lakeland Recce weekend (27-28 June)?

Oggy: all being well, I'll see you at Lakeland 50. Good that you're marshalling - I've offered to help at NDW100 this year. Be interesting to see how the 100-mile people look at the half way point.

GKD
07/06/2013 at 19:09

Not a great deal in three weeks, increase the intensity of the runs you do actually do and the fitness loss will be minimal. But there will be some.

However if its been that limited since the NDW three weeks ago the loss will be far greater also bearing in mind how much more difficult the Lakeland course will be over both the downs courses

GKD
07/06/2013 at 19:49

GKD: oh well; I'll have to cope with that. It's a recce run 22nd/23rd (sorry, wrong date I gave before) after all; I'm not trying to go fast, just complete it. Getting the tendon settled is more important, or I won't be able to do the recce, never mind the Lakeland 50 itself. I've already given up on the idea of getting a decent time at Lakeland 50 (or any of my other events) this year because I've lost too much training, even if my ankle gets 100% back to normal - just finishing is my main goal now.

07/06/2013 at 21:24

Debra go for Comrades! Did it last year and it was fantastic. Gutted I couldn't go for my back to back medal this year. Mind you I think this year it was v tough conditions.

08/06/2013 at 13:37

Vicar - your enthusiasm is infectious! However, given that I have only been back running since Christmas following the birth of my second child (who is now 10 months), I think that in my case the obstacles are genuinely physical rather than mental! I really need to build a decent endurance base carefully, hence taking my time and waiting until October before attempting an Ultra...

09/06/2013 at 18:31

LNandB, just make sure your core strength is in order - any muscle imbalances from pregnancy plus loss of core strength are a sure way to ensure injury along the way!! I learnt this the hard way after arrival of no. 1 child!

09/06/2013 at 20:09

Thanks CragC. Yes, core strength is completely shot so I'm trying to work hard at that alongside my running. Do some plank and abs work pretty much every evening now and have come a long way, but still a long way to go! It is amazing how you feel the loss of core strength in your running, having never really been aware that I used those muscles before! I am actually finding that towards the end of my long runs (up to about 20/22 miles now) my legs are fine and it is my core and pelvic floor muscles that are feeling it! (Sorry for the TMI guys!)

09/06/2013 at 22:01

Get thee to a Pilates class if you can LNandB, is what worked for me in the end.  We are regularly discussing these kinds of issues over on the 'mums who run' thread in 'health and injury' forum. It started out as a thread for mums wanting to run in pregnancy and evolved from there once babies arrived (before I get told off for a forum biased against men!!) ... so PF, SI joint, and loss of core strength are regularly discussed (along with much other stuff!)and we are very friendly. But yes, core strength is vital. Those muscles help hold us upright and protect our spine - including our shoulders.

10/06/2013 at 20:04

si(ned up for 1st ultra,born to run40 miler

11/06/2013 at 16:49

Signed up for Thames Trot - now the hard work begins!!

Will look to do a marathon sometime between now and then...mainly as I think the longer miles are going to get really boring on my own until I find some new routes.

Also need to practise river / canal running as I mainly run on the road which is really easy in comparison!

11/06/2013 at 18:37

always trying: just a note that the Thames Trot does involve a hilly bit away from the river, so you do need some hill training.

Personally I prefer trail to road.

Griff: good luck, train well.

11/06/2013 at 19:00

yes, definitely give me trail over road.  The 'dirty thirty' on Saturday was probably 50/50 split but was so well split up that you didn't really have a chance to get fed up with.  Was a beautiful run, but definitely on the warm side. By the finish I definitely think I'd gone beyond sweating!!!  A real mix of coastal road, coastal trail, woodland, obstacle course in woodland (shoe grabbing mud/dodging of felled trees kind of obstacles!!), more coastal road, stretch of riverside trail into a glen, then a 500m climb up over a pass and down the other side on technical trail, hard-packed trail, moorland bog and finally a road stretch to finish. Stunning scenery all around - as any who've visited west coast of Scotland will know. Lovely low key event run as a not-for-profit fundraising opportunity for local community, mainly walkers with 32 runners I think this year. I was third lady in, just scraping in under six hours with 5:59. Was 30 miles with 1152m of ascent.

Gutted - my roclite 268s are falling apart , had them a year and have no idea of mileage on them, probably 600+ or so I guess ...

11/06/2013 at 20:00

cheers DB

12/06/2013 at 09:42

Congratulations CragC. That is a great effort and sounds like a really fun race.

14/06/2013 at 14:45

Hi All,

Can I ask a potentially stupid question about hill reps? I've been trying to fit in the odd hill reps session into my training, but was out doing them yesterday when the thought occurred to me that when I actually run an ultra I'm planning to walk up all the hills....

So, is it still useful to do hill reps for general power? Should I be practising walking up hills instead? What do others do? Should I actually mostly be practising running downhill in my hill reps sessions?

Bit confused!

WiB
14/06/2013 at 15:44

Firstly, LNandB. What are you aiming to achieve by doing the hill reps? What made you start doing them?

Hill reps are for more than just helping you get up a hill faster. When compared to a normal flat interval session you have to work harder uphill for the same speed. You are having the extra force of not only needing to propel yourself forward but also upwards. The movement required to running up hill emphasises the knee lift as well.

Overall, you will increase your strength, speed and efficiency using hill reps. Not just your ability to go uphill a bit quicker. It will help towards being able to travel along the flat with a far better speed:effort ratio. So, yes. They are useful to keep in your training.

However, if you plan to hike hills in your race then one of the main points of training is specificity. If you can find worth hiking up then do that as well, if not simply include hiking into your long runs. Very race specific.

A point a lot of people miss is also practicing to run downhill. Plenty of people suffer in races with quad pain. Learn to run down hill efficiently. That doesn't mean faster is always better, but the trade off between speed and muscle damage. If you can find a hill to practice hiking reps of then you have a perfect session of hike up, run down. If not run up, run down and have a static rest. Start by allowing you effort:rest to be 50:50 i.e 3 mins effort = 3 mins rest.

Enjoy

WiB
14/06/2013 at 15:57

Great advice WiB. And if you need inspiration for a downhill session, just watch a video of KJ and you'll be itching to get going.

GKD
14/06/2013 at 16:04

I'd also suggest there's an important mental benefit to hill reps. Hill reps and speed sessions make me feel strong, when I feel strong I feel confident and when I'm confident I can do almost anything 

GKD
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.