wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,461 to 7,480 of 8,274 messages
14/06/2013 at 17:41

Until this year I've never really made a point of focussing specifically on any kind of hill work, but knowing I've a few races coming up with significant ascent and descent, and also having suffered from trashed quads on past races (at least in shorter races the DOMS from this hits after the race has finished, but in ultras less so the case!!) I was determined to include some ... and I'd say it's definitely paying off. I always considered myself 'not good on the ups' ie always feel I am going to expire but I'm definitely much better at them now.

I mix it up so some weeks I will go up and down a specific incline, other weeks I just make sure I do a route that is really hilly.  For me, I've been trying to run steadily uphill, small steps, even turnover, and then working hard on the down hills.

On my long long runs (over 15 miles) I treat the hills like I will in an ultra (power walk them), on shorter long runs I run all the inclines.

Agree with GKDs comment about the mental benefit too, especially as the mental aspect is a big thing in these stupid races!!

14/06/2013 at 17:42

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/531201/gallery/imagescaaklcz6_0.jpg?width=350

uncle Lirish you are such a positive force on here

14/06/2013 at 22:08

15/06/2013 at 10:52

Awesome - some fantastic advice there and all makes a lot of sense, thank you. Don't really have any hills near here that are worth expressly planning to walk up, but am currently incorporating the odd fast hike up a steep bit in my long runs so will keep doing that.

Downhill really is my Achilles heel - I have no confidence on technical rocky ground (mostly because I hardly ever get a chance to practice on it) so end up putting the brakes on so hard that I completely trash my quads! Really need to try to get up to some big hills to practice this, but as ever with two small children time is the issue!

15/06/2013 at 16:01

LNandB, have been known to (a) park buggy/pram or bike trailer at bottom of hill and then run up and down said hill while child is asleep, or (b) more recently now mine are bigger, jog to large sand dune on beach with kids and have them rolling around on sand dune while I run up and down it!!!   Stair-climbing reps?

It's the quad trashing that destroys me, hence my focus on running hard down ANY hill, doesn't have to be technical. Confidence will come from just doing the running.

15/06/2013 at 16:05

hi all new on here,just entered my 1st ultra, the born to run llanelli,anyone done it cheers

20/06/2013 at 11:23

Hi,after years of pondering about doing a ultra, I have decided to pull my finger out and do some, as i am nearly 50 and my knees and hips are staring to object about all the pounding I have given them on the road! i have signed for the downs link ultra in October, and would like to do the Thames Trot in Feb,my  concern is that its states on the CPnotes that runners have to be paired after CP 3(27 miles). Knowing that I will be a back marker, what happens if I am the last runner? Or do I need to bring my own pacer? Or is this rule not adhered to? please can anybody advise?

20/06/2013 at 11:47

hey PKP, you won't be allowed a pacer in the TT50. I really wouldn't worry about it, most folk mid-pack backwards tend to pair up naturally. I can't remember the rule being enforced. People always group at checkpoints, so you can just leave together. These things work out. Few if us at the Downs Link, so come and say hi.

20/06/2013 at 11:58

Thanks Tiago,I was hoping that may be the case! I will enter ASAP. It will be great to meet up at the downs link, I am after all the advice I can get! I will be the one at the back, with knees knocking and no fingernails, looking at all the fit runners around me and wondering why I am here and have I done enough training! I will be bombarding this forum with loads of questions over the next few months! Now off to do some training on the South Downs!

20/06/2013 at 12:25

You'll see all sorts of shapes, ages and sizes at these things, and I always think that I'm the only one who is terrified.

Training keeps you safe.

WiB
20/06/2013 at 13:02
Pink Cow Pondering wrote (see)

Thanks Tiago,I was hoping that may be the case! I will enter ASAP. It will be great to meet up at the downs link, I am after all the advice I can get! I will be the one at the back, with knees knocking and no fingernails, looking at all the fit runners around me and wondering why I am here and have I done enough training! I will be bombarding this forum with loads of questions over the next few months! Now off to do some training on the South Downs!

Can't go wrong there!

WiB
20/06/2013 at 13:04

Definitely agree it's not worth worrying about the grouping aspect as Ultras are very friendly and it's difficult not to end up chatting/paired up anyway. Certainly in most of mine I've ended up always finding someone to pass the time with ...

20/06/2013 at 13:07

And WiB would too, if anyone could keep up.

WiB
20/06/2013 at 15:03

We can have a 5 hour natter at the downslink Tiago!

WiB
20/06/2013 at 15:34

Yeah, it'll go like this 'Come back!' 

20/06/2013 at 16:26

Thanks for the replies, you have given me the confidence to sign up for the Thames Trot!here is the 1st of many questions. Is the Thames path under foot similiar as the downs link ultra? 

20/06/2013 at 21:45

Griff: Hi and welcome! Sorry, no info on the born to run llanelli.

Thames Path is a mixture of mud, grass, gravel paths, tarmac paths - this year it was mostly road, ankle deep slippery/sticky mud and ankle-to-knee-deep freezing cold water, but hopefully there won't be the same flooding problems in 2014...

20/06/2013 at 21:52

one day, one day...just worried about bears and cougar around here!

20/06/2013 at 22:04

What Debs said about the TT50, and the year before it was frozen solid. I think with anything in this country in early Feb it's not worth second guessing the conditions, just make sure you train in all weathers and terrains.

21/06/2013 at 13:56

Thanks for the advice Debra,TIago, the south downs and surrounding area gives me all those conditions,quite often in one day! Debra I saw you at the NDW50, I was crewing at the box hill checkpoint, I was getting experience with out doing out the hard  work! Tiago did you do it?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.