wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,481 to 7,500 of 7,862 messages
20/06/2013 at 15:34

Yeah, it'll go like this 'Come back!' 

20/06/2013 at 16:26

Thanks for the replies, you have given me the confidence to sign up for the Thames Trot!here is the 1st of many questions. Is the Thames path under foot similiar as the downs link ultra? 

20/06/2013 at 21:45

Griff: Hi and welcome! Sorry, no info on the born to run llanelli.

Thames Path is a mixture of mud, grass, gravel paths, tarmac paths - this year it was mostly road, ankle deep slippery/sticky mud and ankle-to-knee-deep freezing cold water, but hopefully there won't be the same flooding problems in 2014...

20/06/2013 at 21:52

one day, one day...just worried about bears and cougar around here!

20/06/2013 at 22:04

What Debs said about the TT50, and the year before it was frozen solid. I think with anything in this country in early Feb it's not worth second guessing the conditions, just make sure you train in all weathers and terrains.

21/06/2013 at 13:56

Thanks for the advice Debra,TIago, the south downs and surrounding area gives me all those conditions,quite often in one day! Debra I saw you at the NDW50, I was crewing at the box hill checkpoint, I was getting experience with out doing out the hard  work! Tiago did you do it?

21/06/2013 at 16:09

Nope, I did both the sdw events, not done a ndw yet.

21/06/2013 at 21:03

hi pink cow  im doing downs link ...and will be desperately trying to keep up with WiB and Tigs. i was at NDW50 this year and last. who were you - revel your identitiy!

Edited: 21/06/2013 at 21:04
21/06/2013 at 21:05

id like to make a slight alteration to the above.....

'will be trying desperately to keep up'.......with anyone!

Edited: 21/06/2013 at 21:05
22/06/2013 at 09:15

Hi loulabell, I was the female helping out on food part of the box hill checkpoint, upto my neck in peanut butter and melon! But managed to learn a lot from the runners coming through,  and make me realise to pull my finger out and give it ago! I won't be even trying to keep up with anybody, just going to hang in their and enjoy my 1st ultra and learn as much as I can!

tiago, you have my respect for doing both the SDW, was it this years 100? If so how are you recovering? What do you do to recover from a 50/100 mile run? It takes me 3 days to walk down stairs after a marathon, can't imagine what it's like after a ultra?

22/06/2013 at 11:44

Thanks, PCP, I think the aches just lessen the more miles you get in the bank and the more economical your stride becomes. I did my first run since the 100 this morning, just a slow 4 miles. I like compression and also magnesium spray, and lots of cake. I tend to trust my cravings. I think recovery is as individual as training.

22/06/2013 at 17:35

pink cow, the melon was appreciated, very welcome!

22/06/2013 at 17:38

PCP, if you turn on messaging i will PM you

23/06/2013 at 10:23

Hi Loulabell, i seem to have a techical fault with my settings which runners world are looking into, which might explain why I can't upload a photo!  will turn on messaging when fixed. Will let you know when sorted. How did you find the NDW50? I can remember talking to a lady who eating the melon, into sure if that was you? 

23/06/2013 at 11:10

Oh, she'll have done some talking alright.

24/06/2013 at 11:49

24/06/2013 at 11:51

Pink cow i was talking to Duncan who was taking times at boxhill ...and eating at same time

24/06/2013 at 18:35

Hi PCP; thank you for crewing at Box Hill - I've offered to help at Knockholt Pound for NDW100 - it will be interesting to see how people are doing when that's the half way mark not (as for me on the NDW50) the finish.

Just had two rather rainy (particularly Saturday) but useful days recceing the Lakeland 50. Very much regretting that the Dalemain to Ambleside recce earlier this year was nixed due to the snow, as I had some navigation problems, particularly  in the section over High Kop and Lop Kop and it would have been nice to have done that stretch twice. Have to say that the route directions would benefit greatly from more distances being included. Oh well, it's only five weeks to the actual race and hopefully I won't have forgotten too much of it by then. I -was- pleased with my ability to follow the route directions in the Ambleside to Coniston section.

My left ankle held up remarkably well to the 44 miles (approx.) over the two days so I'm cautiously optimistic about that. Hopefully on the day I'll be able to push on a bit more (I was deliberately going carefully and slowly this weekend because straining the ankle again at this stage would be stupid. Must continue with the strengthening and balancing exercises.

On the way down over Tilberthwait we were passed by a proper fell runner who was practically flying down the hill. Made me realise just how much I don't know about descending!

24/06/2013 at 20:05

Hi Debra, I had a brilliant day at box hill, I have offered to crew at other events, but not heard back yet. It would be great to watch/ help 100 mile runners.I will have to look up what the Lakeland 50 is, but sounds like hard work!

Hi loulabell, the tech problem now fixed and messaging turned on. Although still can't upload a picture, there is no browse button, which it asks you to press! Not sure if it is because I am using a Ipad or because I am no tech buff!

24/06/2013 at 20:12

tentative good news then Debra re the ankle I hope . I shall have done no recce's when I do the Lakeland Ultimate Trails in Sept so am hoping years of covering the paths in the past will help me slightly!!

I used to love throwing myself off hills (in a running way) but have definitely become more protective of my ankles as I've got a little older ... my race on Sunday will be interesting as it is essentially 17ish miles up and 10 miles down and a chunk in the middle is boulder fields and rocky trail ...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.