wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,501 to 7,520 of 8,295 messages
02/07/2013 at 22:02

LNandB:

02/07/2013 at 23:15

I'm training for a marathon in early April. Once that is out of the way I would definitely like to try my hand at a 50 miler. For the marathon I'm training on relatively flat to undulating terrain. Nothing hilly. The ultra's I want to try are hilly. 

Once the marathon is done (in april 2014) how long do you think I would need to prep for the 50 miler on hilly terrain? My weekly mileage in marathon training is going to be 35-50 mpw (1 tempo, 1 interval, 1 long slow and 2 easy pace runs) - however there are unlikely to be any back to back long runs as you would typically do for ultra training. 

02/07/2013 at 23:16

ps i've only been running one year and have done one marathon to date (in 4:05:54).

03/07/2013 at 21:59

I've been in a bit of a malaise recently, since the classics i've been struggling to find much enthusiasm for bike racing, what with the disappointing Giro and the lack of TV coverage of the Dauphine and the TdS. However I am excited about the Tour, even when the GC race isn't great, the Tour is still the Tour, with all the fun, gossip, and futile breakaways that go with it.

I'm really hoping for an open race, I wish him no ill personally, but would quite like to see Froome lose a bit of time early in the race, 3 or 4 minutes minutes would do, so that other guys are brought into the GC race and Sky would have to take risks and go on the offensive. I don't mind who wins really, would just be nice to see the GC battle go all the way to the Alps, rather than being decided after the first TT and the Aix 3 Domaine stage.

Vive Le Tour  www.d2ride.co.uk

04/07/2013 at 08:27

Fair enough, it's about as relevant as many of the other recent posts.

04/07/2013 at 09:10

04/07/2013 at 13:19

Doing the downs link as my 1st ultra, want to start practising a fuelling strategy, what sort of water / energy drink ratio do you guys advise? Not being a big drinker, when I have done marathons I have tired to just drink energy drinks, but by the 3rd hour,I am completely sick of them! 

WiB
04/07/2013 at 14:22

PCP - I advise staying away from sports drinks and just using water. Get your fuel from food instead. If you want to add something to the water electrolyte wise then Elete is good, or S-Caps are handy.

WiB
04/07/2013 at 15:33

Khanivore: I suggest going and looking at some 50-mile training plans - there are some online if you Google - then choose one you think would work for you, then look at where you think you could step into that plan from where you'll be in training after your marathon, then count weeks from there to the end of their programme. Then add at least two weeks to allow recovery after your marathon and a couple more weeks to allow for illness, injury, holidays, unforseen circumstances meaning you can't fit in your runs properly...

PCP: Agreeing with WiB. I use Elete in water but nothing else. And I suggest learning to eat food on long runs, not gels.

04/07/2013 at 15:51

I put SIS powder in my water which works well for me, we have a huge plastic tub of it at home as hubby uses it for biking and then I just have small bags of it in pack when running - I know capsules etc are easier but I just know that stuff works for me. When I'm not actually racing I usually just use water for training.

04/07/2013 at 22:52
Tiago Hefner 2 wrote (see)

Fair enough, it's about as relevant as many of the other recent posts.

04/07/2013 at 22:56

Pink cow, i second the just using water . sports drinks can end up giving you a whole heap of tummy trouble on the long distance. Scaps are excellent and so easy to  have in your pocket or pack.

i often have a small bottle of water with lemon juice in as the sharp taste is refreshing when you are getting sick of sweet things , but again its all trial and personal preference

05/07/2013 at 13:28

Thanks for all the advice guys, now I have got some ideas what I need to be practising. More questions to follow

05/07/2013 at 13:32

Thanks Debrah

05/07/2013 at 14:36

Practice is where it's at, PC. Find out what works for you.

WiB
05/07/2013 at 14:40
Tiago Hefner 2 wrote (see)

Practice is where it's at, PC. Find out what works for you.

Agreed, you will likely get as many different opinions as you get answers.

Go for a run, try it, if you develop any of the symptoms of death then it hasn't worked. Eat a GU and continue 

WiB
05/07/2013 at 16:12

....or drink a coke

05/07/2013 at 20:02

or sign up for another ultra

12/07/2013 at 13:05

I thought this thread would be a good one to join as a beginner looking for advice so here goes. After my one and only marathon (3h21m) and one and only ultra (mendip challenge, 30mi 5h40min but got a bit lost!) i have been suffering with ITBS. Just about there now and have done a couple of very short runs. My question is does 9 weeks give me sufficient time to prepare for a 56mi run (the Kennet and Avon canal) that appears to be mostly flat? I have been using a cross trainer daily and circuits once a week to try and retain what fitness i had as well as excersises from physio and podiatrist but accept I have a long way to go and have probably run out of time (excuse pun). Your thoughts would be apprecaited.

12/07/2013 at 20:39
loulabell wrote (see)

or sign up for another ultra

Do you have another big one planed this year?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.