wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,541 to 7,560 of 7,860 messages
05/08/2013 at 09:05

Hi guys, more advice needed! Hopefully one day I will be able to return the favours! Do any of you do cross/ weight training to aid your running. If so what do you do? And when do you fit it during the week in regard of it not impacting on your running?cheers

05/08/2013 at 21:04

PCP: I teach Pilates and I try and do some of that every week as it keeps my core strong which helps with a better (sometimes) running style when I start to fatigue in later stages of a race. If I'm feeling super-motivated I add in some light weights to the upper body work, and some squats too but that doesn't always happen! I don't do anything that is anywhere near enough to be of impact to the run training - usually it's on an easy running day. If I have time or I am fighting niggles then I go out on my mbk instead of some of the shorter/easier runs.

Alistair: Enjoyed your WHW write-up. Still mildly gutted I had to give this race a miss this year

but really looking forward to Ultimate Trails Lakeland 100km (well I am but also nervous about usual lack of training - hey ho ... two weeks today is last day of school hols /)

05/08/2013 at 22:16

Thanks CC, shame WHW was a no go for you, I was looking forward to a natter. Ultimate Trails Lakeland looks like just about as good a substitue as you could hope for though.

Should suit you with all that climb. Course looks great, lots of evenly spaced aid stations too, which I like, fits nicely with my just get to the next stop approach.

I fancied something a bit quicker, after WHW and my upcoming 48HR so am running the SVP100 same day.

05/08/2013 at 23:22

Anyone on here doing Ridgeway 85?  That's my next ultra. Only 18 days away - eek!

Better get some training in ...

06/08/2013 at 08:09

Pfft... Ages yet T Rex, don't panic.. Think about it maybe next week huh?

08/08/2013 at 11:07

Ey up!

*waves to loulabell*

I've had a recent and unexpected turn towards ultra running (or ultra bimbling as I call it...) so thought I'd pop in and say hello

I did the 40 mile Grim Reaper on Friday, and am still suffering! But despite the limp, I'm looking for another race to enter.

So anyway... hello!

09/08/2013 at 13:50

ultra bookie?? is that you STBW? 

09/08/2013 at 17:20

hi ultra bookie,Im the same,but we beat the Reaper 40 what time did you do ,i was 8.16.24        i came in 20th

10/08/2013 at 09:50

Thanks cragchick for advice, I once did a Pilates class and never sweated so much on a exercise mat before! Starting with some crunches and plank And build up gradually! I have just got a indoor rower which I hope will help arms and shoulders! Cheers

11/08/2013 at 09:30

PCP, I do Zumba fitness now too and oh my goodness!!

I admit I had preconceived ideas of it being a ' dancy aerobic class that was not too taxing' . wrong! I go to a high intensity class and as you say ive never sweated so much in one room! its very very good for cardio as it just builds up and up  until you think you've run out of oxygen!

11/08/2013 at 10:44
loulabell wrote (see)

ultra bookie?? is that you STBW? 

*waves furiously*

Good going G65! I was one of the last finishers, I had to walk the last 10 miles! I've completely wrecked my left foot - the dreaded plantar fasciitis  I took my shoes off to massage my feet after 30 miles, and my foot was so swollen that I couldn't get them back on!

I can recommend Body Combat for high intensity cardio work. Plus, it's lots of fun

11/08/2013 at 15:07

never mind where you came ultra bookie,you beat the reaperyou are a ultra runner now,

11/08/2013 at 16:42

I know!! It's not something I ever thought I'd be able to do

Are you planning on going back next year G65? Or anyone else? It's a really well organised event for those who haven't done it

11/08/2013 at 16:52

I've just been to the gym. Other than a mid-week swim, my first exercise since the ultra. I stuck with the cross-trainer to avoid any impact, but just standing has aggrevated my foot. I feel a trip to a physio coming on...

11/08/2013 at 17:25

ooo ultra bookie you must come n do an ultra with meeeeee *waves furiously back *

11/08/2013 at 17:41

Which one loula? I'm looking to fill my race calendar (I have one now I'm an ultra afferleet )

11/08/2013 at 21:44

Ultra Bookie,going back for the 70 next year,done a 8miler today first run since the reaper

11/08/2013 at 23:09

Glutton for punishment, eh G65?  ;)

I'll be sticking with 30-40 miles for now I think!

Has anyone else had plantar fasciitis and know how long it's usually bothersome for?

12/08/2013 at 08:13

i know ultra bookie,i said the 40 would be my limit but you know how it goes

12/08/2013 at 15:07

UB, how about downs link ultra? 5th oct -38miles

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.