wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,561 to 7,580 of 8,319 messages
14/08/2013 at 11:42

I really like the look of the 10 Peaks races T Rex, but in my case thinking of a couple of years' time! They look brutal so I wish you the best of luck...

14/08/2013 at 18:17

Sorry, forgot to mention it is the Bideford 50k..now re aranged for 12th October. Appears to be no fault of the Race Director, more the providers of the medical cover pulling out with only 3 weeks to go, and he had no chance of getting cover at such short notice. Time off work ,  rebooked, as is the hotel.  Gives me more time for training, so not so bad after all..Was just beginning to get nervous about it...have to go through that again now   ...

16/08/2013 at 16:15

Wow, T-Rex! That's some serious race prep you've been doing! I'm more of a turn up and hope for the best sort of person Good luck!

If I don't get into the London marathon, I'm very tempted by this

http://theoner.co.uk/about.html#/2

17/08/2013 at 14:23

arghhhh London marathon = My worst nightmare ever lol

WiB
17/08/2013 at 15:47

The oner looks a tough race but coastal path is amazing. Bin London marathon and go and do the real race

WiB
17/08/2013 at 17:46

just looked that one up-looks good!

17/08/2013 at 17:46

London marathon does not belong on here...nasty business that is..in fact, I am officially banning its mention from this thread.

Edited: 17/08/2013 at 17:47
17/08/2013 at 21:20

*whispers* It's local-ish, and seems like a do-it-once type affair... Scout's honour, I'll not mention The Race That Must Not Be Named again  

The Oner looks amazing, but I'm a bit concerned about falling off a cliff in the dark! 

17/08/2013 at 21:49

UB, yeah I read that n thought the same- on the edge , dark, bit windy and whoosh...gone.....n we are only little !!

17/08/2013 at 21:52

UB, you can think about that race ...but not utter its name

17/08/2013 at 22:01

I think about lots of things that I don't mention 

17/08/2013 at 22:12

17/08/2013 at 22:49

180 quid for an ultra? 

18/08/2013 at 17:17

spen71 - not just an ultra 'The mother of all trail runs' I wonder which race is 'The father of all trail rus' and if they have made any 'sons or daughters of trail runs'?

By contrast in the North you can enter the Hardmoors Grandslam which includes the HM30, HM55, HM60 and HM110 for £140 or so and includes lots of lovely coastal paths and villages.

19/08/2013 at 07:22
spen71 wrote (see)

180 quid for an ultra? 

i thought that too Spen...bit overpriced me thinks

25/08/2013 at 14:23

I'm toying the idea of with doing a Solo TR24 (Adidas Thunder Run) so on Friday as an exercise in running, resting and running again I ran 12x 6km [44.75 miles] (basically 30 min run, 30 min rest)

I was good for the first 10 but the last two were a bit more uncomfortable, I would've liked to have done one more lap just to use my headtorch in the woods, but I caved in to the desire to stop and eat.

Anyone done this before, is there a good atmosphere on the course, enough to keep you going when things get rough in the middle of the night?.

25/08/2013 at 21:24

Great event; I found I was just about bored when it turned dark and then enjoyed getting the headtorch on, when I was just about bored of running wth the headtorch the dawn broke with all the energy that brings. Solo runners are encouraged all the way around by relay runners, the route weaves in and out of the campsite so you get lots of cheers. I will certainly go back.

26/08/2013 at 10:41

Cheers Alistair.  My target would be minimum 16 laps, which on paper looks easy enough or maybe talk some fool in to partnering me for a go at 24 laps.

26/08/2013 at 19:27

Yes, in running terms 16 is very doable, weather permitting, this year saw torrential rain, I wasn't there so only know this from others blogs, which left the course all but unrunnable for several hours. The challenge as your earlier post alludes to is more mental. Not sure I would run it in a pair; when I ran in 2012 I came across all manner of issues from one half being late to another just upping sticks and going home! There seems to be a few more of these on the calendar now with Joust 24 and Equinox 24 just two I can think of. Anyway I really enjoyed it as a race on its own and it was a perfect way, to safely see, if I fancied running one of the longer ultras point to point; when I did tackle the longer point to point the confidence I had in staying awake and runng through the night garnered at TR24 was most helpful.

27/08/2013 at 00:42

I've done the Oner.

Although not the longest, I would say it's the hardest thing I've done to date.  It is expensive for reasons I can't quite justify.  You get a good medal and L/S top. The support is rather military style and minimalist. You are expected to be able to manage yourself without much support.  The course and scenery are outstanding.

Ultra Bookie if you do it I would strongly advise recceing at least the Isle of Portland section which is done in the middle of the night and which is famous for everybody getting lost on - I did myself  - and, yes, the path especially there does go very close to the edge of tall cliffs!

Can't think of an event more unlike VLM.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.