wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,561 to 7,580 of 7,872 messages
08/07/2014 at 15:53

Good to try out my Salomon vest on 21 mile trail race. Did find it rubbed my neck a bit so will have to experiment with different shirts. Love the soft bottles and loads of pockets. A few of us managed to get lost so added time and distance to an already insane multi terrain course. Hoping 50K is doable without run/walk strategy and that the hills will be the pace dictator! 

08/07/2014 at 15:56

The theory with R/W from the start is that by the time you 'change' to it, you are basically buggered, and cannot keep going... So it's almost pointless as you just run / walk in whatever seems good at the time,whereas if you do it from the start, you actually don't get to that totally knackered stage in the first place.

that's the theory anyway......

09/07/2014 at 08:18
I am thinking ill do run/walk from the start for
My first ultra to test the water so to speak! As you say bookatrunk don't want to destroy myself up to 20 then run walk crawl the rest of the way!
09/07/2014 at 13:20
I'd rather run for as long as I can and slow down later if needed as long as I'm running at a nice gentle pace it seems to work, upto 50m anyway! I did a 50k starting at road marathon pace minus 30 seconds which led to a very painful last 10 miles, I wouldn't recommend that tactic!

I did the summer plod too fairy clogs, was a lovely course, marking did seem to be a little sporadic in places though, a few times I had to run back and make sure I was still on track! I managed to have a lovely swim in the big too!
09/07/2014 at 19:58

My son-in-law did the Hardmoor 110 recently. I was part of his support team and ran the last 22 miles with him to help keep him going. As far as I could see, apart from the absolute crazy fast front runners all the experienced ultra runners used a version of RWR from the very beginning, to avoid burning out. It seemed to be standard procedure. Some did it to time, some walked any incline but ran the down and flat, some R/W by distance (e.g. mile R then a mile W). There were loads of variations. One of my s-i-l's friends did MDS this spring. He said that RWR was THE way to go in such a race in order to conserve energy and not blow up completely later. And he is definitely no wimp. He is mega fit, running an ultra on average once a month.

I say don't knock it and just do as the experts do.

C

09/07/2014 at 20:04

50k is very different to a 110 though. Nothing wrong with run-walking it, but I'd have thought you should pretty much approach it the same way you would a marathon.

09/07/2014 at 22:42

S-i-L says not. He started with a 32 miler and treated just the same. It is still over distance You also want to be fit to carry on training after it and not nursing issues that hold you back for weeks. I think runners have too many hang ups about the word 'walk'. Everyone to their own though. It's your run and you have to do what you will be comfortable with.

Have fun

C

10/07/2014 at 14:49

I was really just commenting on the 'do as the experts do' bit, and I don't think they would walk in a 50k. But obviously you should just do whatever you think is going to produce your best performance.

GKD
10/07/2014 at 22:36
My mate down the pub says track running makes one leg shorter than the other and every few laps you should change direction to stop it happening. He also said that he read we're all supposed to run barefoot because some Indian guys invented it then taught some American dude who then invented barefoot shoes, but I don't really understand what that is because that doesn't make sense and I haven't read the book yet
GKD
11/07/2014 at 15:17

I don't think it really matters if you understand it, mate. If someone said so then I think the wise thing to do is follow it.

GKD
11/07/2014 at 15:31
Right. This dude said he ran a really long way once, like from here to there, so I guess he should know right?
GKD
14/07/2014 at 19:51
Also I read that wearing the most expensive kit makes you faster , especially if the laces match . So there . Sorted innit .
15/07/2014 at 10:24

I'm sure if I got the Salomon running skort that costs over £100 i'd be a better ultra runner..... honest!!

16/07/2014 at 09:15

Just sharing my experiences of preparing for a mountain ultra.  There's more to it than getting fit! Paddy Buckley Round

16/07/2014 at 12:02

Nice read FRG 

16/07/2014 at 12:37

I prefer to take the approach of running in Aldi trainers and kit, and grinning at the more experienced kit buyers as I pass them. The Aldi trainers give me that psychological edge  

16/07/2014 at 14:41

Enjoyable read. Well done FRG.

17/07/2014 at 22:48

How do you cope with an ultra in the heat? 

Slower more water? Pretend it's not hot? 

WiB
18/07/2014 at 08:23

Put sunglasses on.

WiB
18/07/2014 at 08:52

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.