wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,581 to 7,600 of 8,179 messages
26/08/2013 at 19:27

Yes, in running terms 16 is very doable, weather permitting, this year saw torrential rain, I wasn't there so only know this from others blogs, which left the course all but unrunnable for several hours. The challenge as your earlier post alludes to is more mental. Not sure I would run it in a pair; when I ran in 2012 I came across all manner of issues from one half being late to another just upping sticks and going home! There seems to be a few more of these on the calendar now with Joust 24 and Equinox 24 just two I can think of. Anyway I really enjoyed it as a race on its own and it was a perfect way, to safely see, if I fancied running one of the longer ultras point to point; when I did tackle the longer point to point the confidence I had in staying awake and runng through the night garnered at TR24 was most helpful.

27/08/2013 at 00:42

I've done the Oner.

Although not the longest, I would say it's the hardest thing I've done to date.  It is expensive for reasons I can't quite justify.  You get a good medal and L/S top. The support is rather military style and minimalist. You are expected to be able to manage yourself without much support.  The course and scenery are outstanding.

Ultra Bookie if you do it I would strongly advise recceing at least the Isle of Portland section which is done in the middle of the night and which is famous for everybody getting lost on - I did myself  - and, yes, the path especially there does go very close to the edge of tall cliffs!

Can't think of an event more unlike VLM.

09/10/2013 at 11:38

Just wanted to pop back into this thread to thank all those who offered advice. I was thrilled to finish my first ultra (the Round Ripon 35) on Saturday and genuinely don't think that I would have managed it without the support of this forum which has opened my eyes to the wonderful world of ultra running! I had a blast and am now eagerly planning out events for next year! Thanks everyone!

09/10/2013 at 12:42

LNandB: Well done! Glad you enjoyed it, and that we were able to help.

09/10/2013 at 16:08

That reminds me... I never thanked anyone here for their advice!! As I got round my first a few weeks ago.  It feels like it was years ago, but was only 2.5 weeks

So a belated thanks from me as well.

09/10/2013 at 20:38

Thanks Debra.

Booktrunk - well done to you as well. Have you got a second planned yet?

09/10/2013 at 20:47

Yeah, now for the good bit - what next?

09/10/2013 at 20:59

Yeah signed up to do the wall thingy next June. 

Wabt bt to try some shorter stuff park runs and the like over winter. 

09/10/2013 at 20:59

Want to !!!! Sorry typos 

09/10/2013 at 21:41

That's your subconscious telling you you don't really want to do the shorter stuff. 

09/10/2013 at 21:58

Lakeland 50 for me next year. Currently looking at build up options, maybe Northants 35 or something in April/early May...

The Wall looks great booktrunk, if a little pricey!

09/10/2013 at 22:06

Yeah. Bit expensive, but it's a treat to me, I don't do holidays in the sun or anything like that, so I just thought sod it

I am also doing Ladybower50 again followed by Loch Ness Mara the week after.

Maybe have the idea of a 100m in '15

09/10/2013 at 22:35

If you are looking at a 100 in 2015 booktrunk, I would suggest the following goals for 2014:

• Finish      the Wall in whatever time you can. 
  • Improve      your times over 50 miles and marathon.      
  • Because you have only been running for a year or so, you will not have carried your speed up to 50 miles, or even marathon yet. 

09/10/2013 at 23:09

Cheers Ben

well... don't know about the rest of you, but I've got my plans for '14 sorted now.

seriously thanks Ben, that is pretty much the plan if my legs can cope

10/10/2013 at 12:51

im guessing most of us on here have probably pretty much sussed our 2014, and maybe even 2015? plans...my 2013 was to be blunt pretty cack through one thing and another so I would like to quietly (!)  reinstall myself in 2014.

maybe we should post our targets /events for next year here?

WiB
    10/10/2013 at 13:11

2014 planning? Race planning is nearly as good as running them!

WiB
    10/10/2013 at 13:49

Quietly Loobs!

What are your plans, WiB? Super fast 50? Crack the 100?

WiB
    10/10/2013 at 14:42

90% sure I will be having a crack at a 100 next year. Main aim is 50 mile distance though, hopefully a trip to Chamonix for CCC.

How are you recovering after the weekend? My legs were very sore at the end but have recovered pretty quick. Had expected 3 days off after but managed to get back out yesterday with no problems.

WiB
    10/10/2013 at 15:03

I was fine straight away, which unfortunately speaks volumes about the effort I put in - I'm quite dischuffed at myself. So I was back running on Monday. If I'd have gone at your pace I wouldn't be running again, ever, as my legs would have fallen off before halfway.

WiB
    10/10/2013 at 15:16

If you had seen me walking around Sunday afternoon/Monday you would be very pleased not to be the same!

Do you have any other races planned for this year? I guess 2014 for you is all about the Grand Slam?

WiB
    Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.