wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,601 to 7,620 of 7,959 messages
29/07/2014 at 22:08

I'm currently in training for my first 50 miler in September. I believe some people don't think it's necessary to do back to back runs but I thought I would give it a go anyway. I was thinking to start with maybe a 2 and a 4 hour back to back run. Which would benefit me most, doing the 2 hour followed by the 4 hour, or vice versa or doesn't it make any difference either way ? Cheers

29/07/2014 at 23:21

Longer run first. Otherwise you aren't really tired which is the whole point of doing them. 

I've done a few and cannot decide if they are brilliant or if running slightly longer in one day, and forcing myself to go quicker over the last hour has a similar effect. 

02/08/2014 at 18:54

Hi all

Like RW26 I'm hitting the big 50 nest year so best mate from school and I have just signed up to our first ultra - The Wall Run (which seemed appropriate since it is on her birthday and there wasn't one on mine!)

Have run marathons before but now need to start to think about how to train etc for longer distance so very grateful for all advice to newbie (& slightly scared!) wanabee ultra-runner!

02/08/2014 at 19:01

there is quite a lot of road and not much trail in the wall, so unless it rains daily for a month you will be fine doing it in road shoes, there are two or three short but very steep hills. So don't overtrain on trails for it, as it's much more of a road event especially in the second half of the race. 

The roads are quite hard as you are going along Buddhism roads in the evening/dark unless you are quick so don't skimp on lighting, make sure you have properly good head torches. 

02/08/2014 at 19:25

Thanks - we won't be quick so good head torches it is! - finishing is the aim, time is irrelevant (well, other than sub 24hrs so we don't get DQd!) 

02/08/2014 at 20:48

Oh also get a couple of bike lights the really lightweight red ones that you can put on  the seat post or helmet and stick them on your backpack, when you are shattered and brain dead going along a quite busy road is slightly intimidating so make sure traffic coming both ways will see you  

Edited: 02/08/2014 at 21:03
03/08/2014 at 17:57

This is one of my ultimate goals is to run an ultra marathon

03/08/2014 at 18:22

Its hard to stop at one Northern Lass!

03/08/2014 at 19:02

is it possible to train for one from someone has only run for a few months... would it take a long time?

03/08/2014 at 21:38

It is possible, it's not easy, but yes  

If you go for a shorter one, you can do that off the back of a marathon plan, 

03/08/2014 at 21:56

Ran the Vanguard Way marathon today and got soooooo lost. Worried that most ultra runs need navigation skills. Map reading is definitely not my forte especially as at  my age glasses are required.

04/08/2014 at 08:27

Fairyclogs: Vanguard Way permanent signs are not great; many are hidden by vegetation (or were last summer - there was one which I found only about the fourth time I'd run the route and got lost). The written instructions for the route available online could also do with some improvement.

If you want an ultra with minimal navigation required I suggest any of the Centurion events. They put up lots of extra arrows and pieces of red-and-white tape to supplement the permanent waymarks (so if you've not seen any markings for a while, you can be pretty sure you've gone wrong and need to backtrack to the previous junction).

04/08/2014 at 08:55

Thanks Debra. Will look at the Centurion races. I have booked The Pony Express for next May with XNRG. 60 miles over 2 days in the New Forest. Did their Chiltern ultra and had a great experience with them.

04/08/2014 at 09:21

There are a few alternatives, and getting the hang of map reading is also a good idea come what may, but there are courses that are on laps, which make things easier, and as Debra said some groups are a lot better than others at marking the course, but we should all at least try to learn the basics of map reading, just so we don't have to unnecessarily call for help if we get a bit lost on a course somewhere

04/08/2014 at 09:48

There seem to be quite a lot of well marked options out there Fairyclogs - I did the Weald Challenge 50km in the same area earlier this year and didn't need to get the map out once as the markings were so comprehensive.

But, if you can crack the navigation then it gives you so many more options, both for races and for your training runs. Why not go and do a one day navigation course? There are loads out there, some aimed at runners, some at walkers. A day's course plus some practice on your own would easily have you competent with a map.

04/08/2014 at 09:56

I did a recce on Saturday and at one stage the trail just disappeared. I stood, in what looked like somebody's garden, and couldn't see the trail. I checked the map and I was in the right place. Eventually, after quite a few minutes of searching, I just went through a bush, literally, and the trail appeared again. As Debra says, at this time of the year the vegetation can be overgrown, so having map reading skills is a definite bonus. I'm glad I've done a recce of the course as I can see that particular part of the trail catching a few people out this Saturday

04/08/2014 at 13:54

Is that ndw100, carter? Share the info, dude.

04/08/2014 at 14:28

Tiago - ooh no, I'm not ready for that distance yet ! This is my first foray beyond marathon distance. It's the Long Tour of Bradwell 50km fell race in the Peak District (http://runfurther.com/long-tour-of-bradwell/). A few big climbs & decents on technical trails means battered feet are going to be my main issue

04/08/2014 at 15:24

Phew, I don't need any tricky nav issues.

Good name, btw, 'impossible dream' is a good ultra tune.

04/08/2014 at 15:45

Hey Tom 

Good luck on NDW, Roni and I wont be helping that day as we have prior arrangements  so you wont get the usual food and grief from us  I'm sure you will still get through it tho! your doing the slam this year aren't you? Whats your race number?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.