wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,601 to 7,620 of 8,256 messages
10/10/2013 at 16:16

Forgot the Dursley Dozen in February, my hometown race, which I've meant to do the last couple of years but haven't been able to. It's a muddy, hilly slogfest over quite a lot of the ground I cover on training runs so should be good.

10/10/2013 at 16:54

the Cotswold 100 looks good CR , I wouldn't mind doing that myself but it clashes with something else .

WiB, hope your wee legs are ok now, well done on Sunday. im sure 2014 will be the year for your CCC

Tigs, my legs would have dropped off anyway.the trail marafun...oh yeah!!,,oo er, *hangs head in shame*

WiB
10/10/2013 at 17:36

Will have to change your name to DNSabell!

WiB
10/10/2013 at 21:48

I love the planning

10/10/2013 at 21:52

My overwhelming goal for next year is to finish the SDW50.  Beyond that, I'm not really sure how the year plans out.  Am at least flirtin with the idea of the SVP100 if I can coax the legs into going that fast!

11/10/2013 at 07:44

What sort of training do you do pernod?

11/10/2013 at 08:43

My present goal is to get my ankle (particularly, posterior tibial) working again - it was nearly better until I came of my bicycle two weeks ago... So, lots of stretching and strengthening exercises (and no running, to rest the ankle and the probably-cracked ribs). Primary goals for next year: VLM at a decent pace hopefully, to prep for my real goal of Comrades, but I need some trail as well. Was thinking about Pilgrim 2-day in Feb, but now not sure I'll be able to both be working on speed for London AND be working on stamina for 33+33. Considering Lakeland Trails 100k or Ridgeway 85 for the autumn.

11/10/2013 at 08:43

Peronel, I'm sure you'll be okay for SDW50 next year - it was only hypothermia due to that awful weather that stopped you.

11/10/2013 at 09:30

hehe am I hooked.... I'm trying to see what I sign up for as my big 2015 run.... I think i'm a bit early.....

Humm Marathon Des Sables.... eeek that's a lot of pennies... that makes the £119 or whatever I paid for The Wall next year look cheap

11/10/2013 at 09:51

how dyu know the weather wont be bloody awful for SDW50 next year as well? ...just be prepared this time is the only helpful answer I can give- and take a brolly

11/10/2013 at 09:54

booktrunk, I guess this goes back to a discussion on another thread(its not coming on here !!) about * whispers* ..prices of entry/events.

if you like it n wanna do it , pay, if not , source another.  cant say MDS is on my 'wanna do' list really...theres plenty of  others I can think of id like to do more as dream ultras

WiB
11/10/2013 at 10:01

Lou - As so accurately predicted by GKD on a previous thread. We will have weather. SDW50 next year is going to be an awesome race!

Debra - I don't think you would have any issues with training for Pilgrim 2 day and VLM. I managed to run a 50 mile PB followed by a 5k PB a week later. It's a myth that ultra running doesnt require fast running

Just train smart and its more than possible to run well at both. They are very close in distance anyway, VLM will just require you to be running harder. A couple of qaulity sessions a week, get some long reps in. I love a session of 5k reps!

WiB
11/10/2013 at 10:04

Loulabell: sorry it wa meant to be a jokey comment, not cause a row

11/10/2013 at 10:06

I mentioned that as it, and some run in Kenya seem to be the only two for 2015 that I could find I know there are lots that have 2013/2014 to get through first

11/10/2013 at 10:12
BT , it's ok ! I know you wernt
11/10/2013 at 10:13
BT, stay on here long enough and we will have you entering all sorts of things - just you wait and see !;)
11/10/2013 at 10:46

........ I'm scared now.... 

Actually, I'm not I'm excited brIng it on.

11/10/2013 at 12:38

WiB: if it wasn't for the re-injured ankle, I'd go for both okay, but at the moment I'm worrying how much time off I'm going to need to get this sorted, how much fitness I'll have lost and how quickly I'll be able to get back up the mileage as well as doing speed work. My speed suffered a lot this year while coaxing the ankle to hold out for my 5 x 50-miler challenge, so I'm going to need to do a fair amount of work on that if I'm to get decent times at London and Comrades, and my previous experience is that I'm more likely to injure myself if I work on increasing both mileage and speed at the same time.

11/10/2013 at 17:14

Why not just rest the ankle and let it heal properly.    All you are doing is more damage by keep running on it.

11/10/2013 at 18:24

spen: that's what I'm doing, as I said this morning at 08.43 - resting it (and doing stretching and strengthening exercises, because rest alone isn't enough, for tendons).

Yes, I know I should have rested it earlier in the year, but solutions requiring the use of a time machine are not much use! And it was 95% better before Ladybower, with no problems at all during that race, and I was intending to rest and strengthen it during October - then I had my little bicycle accident and put it back a long way, which is frustrating

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.