wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,621 to 7,640 of 8,179 messages
11/10/2013 at 17:14

Why not just rest the ankle and let it heal properly.    All you are doing is more damage by keep running on it.

11/10/2013 at 18:24

spen: that's what I'm doing, as I said this morning at 08.43 - resting it (and doing stretching and strengthening exercises, because rest alone isn't enough, for tendons).

Yes, I know I should have rested it earlier in the year, but solutions requiring the use of a time machine are not much use! And it was 95% better before Ladybower, with no problems at all during that race, and I was intending to rest and strengthen it during October - then I had my little bicycle accident and put it back a long way, which is frustrating

11/10/2013 at 18:32

Tbh I only scan your posts.    They seem to repeat the same over and over

WiB
11/10/2013 at 21:01

A fast marathon on the run up to Comrades will work well. Stay off the ankle as it has clearly not been right for a long time which is not a good way to start training!

WiB
11/10/2013 at 21:08

WiB: yeah; like all runners I hate not running, but I know it's necessary at the moment so I can run properly next year.

12/10/2013 at 19:07

Debra: it's shit.  Sympathies.  (And rest it, you idiot!)

12/10/2013 at 19:08

I'm possibly the only one hoping that next year's SDW50 features Weather.  Thanks to BA and a perfectly timed out of court settlement, I now have all the kit.  It would be redemptive.

13/10/2013 at 12:54

Peronel: Thanks. And yes; I'm resting it. Means not running the first cross-country for my club and not taking up the chance I had for a Beach Head place.

Great that you've got the proper kit now. I wouldn't worry about using it; doing ultras in the UK you're bound to get the chance, whether on SDW or elsewhere  - although I do understand your wish to say "bring it on! Just try to make me hypothermic, just try! You'll fail!"(Cue manic laughter).

And there's obviously a Story there about BA...

14/10/2013 at 09:17

Oooooooooooo looks like im on ignore too.

14/10/2013 at 09:47

Spen, if I'd known you wanted a reply, I would have replied. However, since you were not doing me the courtesy of actually reading my posts before replying to them, and were then being apparently deliberately unpleasant and discourteous when you did reply, I didn't bother. My apologies if that hurt your feelings.

14/10/2013 at 10:30

Exactly.  I'm basically thinking, "come rain, come snow, come winds of hell.  I am ready!"

Spen:  To answer your question on my training, last year I followed a modified Furman/FIRST approach.  Every third week or so was a long weekend in the South DOwns with a long hike/run replacing the long run, and running up and down the hill at the bottom of my parents road a few times replacing the intervals.  Was working brilliantly, til I got pneumonia.

Then to the local, for refueling and in lieu of rent.

This summer, I've been mostly following the "do whatever I fancy" plan.  I've had great luck sticking to it, but, unfortunatley, what I fancy has mostly not been running.  I've done a lot of decent hiking (Peak District twice; TMB - the slow, old-fashioned way - once) which at my level of "performance" all counts as training.

That's why I'm twitchy about something like SVP100, but much more sanguine about my chances of completing Transvulcania, which I'm getting very excited about for 2015.  I'm good at hiking.  Fast.  With 10kg or more on my back.  All bloody day, or at least til a bar appears.

And in the Canaries they have this drink that's part coffee, part condensed milk and part booze.  With lemon peel on that.  You won't find that in the Stour Valley.

14/10/2013 at 16:26
Boys and girls play nicely please ... I don't want disarray and blood shed on the thread ....it's such a pain in the rear cleaning up limbs and claret ....
14/10/2013 at 16:34
Peronel , that drink sounds good ! In a little bottle in pocket of bsck pack could be helpful too...,..
GKD
14/10/2013 at 16:45

Hmm, I feel slightly cheated, someone told me there was a proper arguement breaking out on the thread so I popped in to see what was happening and I have to say I'm quite disappointed. That was the Downton Abbey version of an internet arguement, I was expecting flame wars and I got Upstairs Downstairs.

Spen: Be more diplomatic. I know that's ironic coming from me but there's only room for a couple of grumpy cusses on this forum and me and Andrew Smith were here first.

Debra: 42.6% of your posts feature your ankle.Another 34.9% the 5 x 50 challenge. Variety is the spice of life.

Now go for a run......

GKD
14/10/2013 at 17:23

about 60% were about PaRkRuN and being the ed of Croydon.

14/10/2013 at 17:52

Good evening all. I am about to enter the world of Ultra's, if I survive Snowdonia in 2 weeks time. I'm planning on entering the Thames trot in Feb as a nice introduction to it, without the major worry of navigation.

Any advice on training would be greatly appreciated.

GKD
14/10/2013 at 17:56

You definetely should train. Absolutely, I highly recommend it, I found trainng invaluable

GKD
WiB
14/10/2013 at 18:04

LE - Can't you see there is a domestic going on?

Yes, train. Train hard. A 50 doesn't require much more than marathon training. Top up on the long runs a bit, train consistently and dont neglect quality in favour of banging out pointless miles. Practice eating on the run and carrying kit.

WiB
14/10/2013 at 18:30

GKD telling folk to be diplomatic and extolling the virtues of training! Can someone let Gary know his computer's been hijacked.

GKD
14/10/2013 at 18:47

Tom you know me, my online persona IS me being diplomatic

GKD
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.