wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,621 to 7,640 of 7,960 messages
04/08/2014 at 16:41

Hey man, yeah I can't believe I'm going to have to do this one without you guys, it's not on really, but I'll let you off this once. I'm number 40 I believe.

How's your running going?

04/08/2014 at 17:45

Dont worry, we'll shout loudly, but from a distance 

Tapering for the SVP100k on the 16th, so its a case of either I have trained enough, or it'll be a death march! I've done a lot of 30+ and one 40 plus 12 b2b over the south downs, so fingers crossed  Also added 10 mile hill route once a week and long tempos or mile intervals so dont think I can do much more really 

How your little'un and wife getting on? (sorry forgotten names, I've had beer since we spoke)

04/08/2014 at 18:03

Woah, that sounds like textbook training, buddy, the way only 30+ stuff I've done is races. Stick to your pacing plan, and you'll crush it.

Don't worry, I'm awful at names! James (Jimmy) and Liz are great, I'm a lucky fella.

04/08/2014 at 18:16

Pacing plan? Am I supposed to have one of those too?  Oops ...

Actually, I intend to start slow, slow down, then see whats left and how far I have to go. Does that pass as a plan? Seriously tho, I would like to do 12.30 hrs, but will be happy with the more likely 14. Its a new distance for me so an unknown. To be honest, I would still be happy with 15:29 !!

Yep your a lucky guy. Glad to hear Jimmy and Liz are good 

04/08/2014 at 21:15

That plan sounds spot on. You know your stuff. I'm looking forward to hearing how you go.

05/08/2014 at 10:07

So the Salisbury 54321 50km Ultra is this Sunday, a week or so ago I resigned myself to the idea I wasn't going to do it, so last week when I should in theory have been tapering, my running was 18 miles in the week, and 4500m swimming and then decided to do the RIchmond Park Half Marathon on sunday, so quite a full on week...so now I have decided I WILL do the ultra, but certainly haven't been tapering last week!!! So this week what should my running / training schedule be, did 75 length swim yesterday and today did an hour run....should i be taking it easy and not running any more, i though of doing another 75 swim and maybe a 6 mile run and thats it.....any advice....?

05/08/2014 at 10:19

Do whatever you want, the least you can get away with that makes you feel good about your running

Stay injury free and fresh, so do as little as you can a couple of very gentle jogs, or as you say 1 six miler if that is what you think will get you in the right mindset.  Just chill and stay fresh.

05/08/2014 at 10:24

Thanks Booktrunk, kind of ost my mindset for the Ultra, but then ran a really strong half marathon on sunday and it gave me the push mentally i needed, also really want to get my first Ultra under my belt, and this one looks like having beautiful scenery...so can't really miss it! Bit of swimming, then a 6 miler on Thu, then rest until Sunday... I am also definitely going to do 2/1 Run/walk from the start....time is not important, finishing is!

05/08/2014 at 10:30

Sounds good to me well done on giving yourself a kick up the backside and going for it

05/08/2014 at 10:34

Thanks!

Weather looks good too... 19 degrees / light rain, so not scorching hot too!

05/08/2014 at 10:39

Get back to us next week telling us how it went the good an if there was any the bad, so we can all learn a little more.

05/08/2014 at 11:13

will do!

08/08/2014 at 00:54

The weather may prove to be interesting for us Dank-art. I'm packing my jacket just in case...

08/08/2014 at 06:43

I am used to training in pouring rain, so not that bothered, just slipping over and mud might be a challenge, oh yeh and the 50km! Really looking forward to my first trail / ultra

08/08/2014 at 10:25
I wonder if the camel will be there this year. I somehow feel ill be disappointed this time around.
08/08/2014 at 10:30

whats the camel?

08/08/2014 at 11:26
An actual camel. Its in one of the first private estates you run through.
11/08/2014 at 08:09
So I completed my first ultra!!!!! so so so pleased I did it. I have to say it was a fantastic experience and enjoyed the whole run much more that the road races I have done this year including London marathon! Great atmosphere and scenery was incredible, but for me the best thing was the runners, the whole race was spent running from one group or person to the next and chatting, swopping running tales and getting some tips from some serious ultra veterans, an incredible way to spend the race, and really helped the miles fly by. I was speaking to one gentleman in the 100 marathon club who had completed over 500 marathons and also a wonderful lady who was competing 52 marathons in 52 weeks, who I ran the last mile with over the line! Awesome event and so proud of myself for completing. All strategies I had wee irrelevant, I had to kind of adapt to terrain and weather conditions, walking up the long steep hills was a must! And I did see the camel I have definitely turned to the dark side....what next, 50 miles !?
Edited: 11/08/2014 at 08:11
11/08/2014 at 08:39

Well done Dank-art, sounds like a great day out.

I too completed my first ultra on Saturday, the Long Tour of Bradwell. 35 miles with over 6000ft of climbing in the Peak District. It hurt, a lot, and I really had to battle the last 5 miles or so when the body had just about given up. For the first 5 hours I ran on my own (there were 80 runners and the field was spread out so didn't see other runners for ages) but for the last few miles I ran with a couple of other chaps. This really helped and it was the first ultra for all 3 of us so we all knew the pain the others were going through and kept on pushing each other. This was a very, very tough first ultra but it was a great and emotional feeling to finish. Next up for me Ladybower 50 in 6 weeks

11/08/2014 at 08:50
Well done! It's a great feeling finishing an ultra, very addictive, I took it very easy yesterday and surprised I don't ache that much at all today, it also didn't feel too painful whilst running it, which is odd as the London marathon hurt a lot, I am thinking the softer terrain of the trial is much kinder to the joints.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.