wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,641 to 7,660 of 8,270 messages
14/10/2013 at 19:22
We do indeed have a slight breach of calm amongst our little clan here but domestic over
Lirish has spoken in his " nice " manner so all is well .
14/10/2013 at 19:59

I am looking at doing ultras . LDWA events are meant to be a good build up. I am going to do That's Lyth in jan At Kendal 25 miles over fells

14/10/2013 at 20:15

Training always sounds like a good idea.  But it's so easy to be distracted by facebook and cake. 

(Seriously, LDWA events are superb.  Nice people.  Eccentric as fuck, and you'll have the demoralising experience of being overtaken by old men in sensible trousers.  But recommended.)

14/10/2013 at 20:54

GKD - Nice one, That was as good a joke as the Rugby club you support.

WiB, Peronel, thank you for some sensible advice.

14/10/2013 at 21:12
Hello posty and LE , welcome .
We do dispense helpful advice on various aspects of ultras here and there's also a pretty good kit/ gear thread too
GKD
14/10/2013 at 21:41

Ah a man with a sense of humour. Welcome.

You know that old saying ' if you ask a stupid question......' well there you go.

GKD
14/10/2013 at 22:29

Balls  everyone talks crap

14/10/2013 at 23:07

Newbie question here, when running 50 miles and above do most people go out quick and then 'hold on' to whatever pace they can towards the end or pace themselves steadily from the start?

I am looking at getting into Ultras and have run reasonable pace for marathons 3:15 ish but recently paced a friend to a 4:17 marathon finish and struggled towards the end.  

I seem to find running slowly quite painful especially on my hips and knees, I know the obvious answer is "run quicker then"!!! but that won't help over 50 miles if I run 3:15 for the first half and then can't complete the distance..

I know I'm opening myself up to "stupid newbie quesion" responses but just thought I would ask if anyone had any advice

Cheers

14/10/2013 at 23:18

LE: Welcome. Good luck with Snowdonia. As WiB said, practice eating on the run and carrying the kit. Oh, and don't assume Thames Trot will be navigation-free - it wasn't this year!

Matt: Maybe alternating running at a pace you find comfortable with fast walking would work for you? I've seen people using e.g. run 10, walk one, or run 25, walk five. Seems to work reasonably well - I've spent much of more than one race "leapfrogging" with people using those strategies.

GKD
14/10/2013 at 23:19

How long ago was the 3.15 marathon Matt? Have a google for Stuart Mills's blog, he's a proponent of the go out hard and hold on style of running and he's quite technical in his approach. But then again he's a very experienced runner who's always at the sharp end. There's very little point in doing a sub 35 first 10k if the next 40 takes six hours

GKD
15/10/2013 at 07:28

Matt, the terrain will take care of a lot of it for you.  Unless your experience is of trail running or hilly road marathons, on the typical ultra you'll come across hills where you'll have to drop your pace.  Indeed, you may find it more efficient to walk, either because of steepness or because the going is gnarly.

So tip one: learn to hike.

My second though is that mileage is one issue, but time on your feet is another.  Is it possible that some of the aches weren't pace related, but simply that you were up and  mobile longer than you were used to.

Tip two: train to keep going all day.  That in itself will answer your pace question.

Next, you're going to have to learn to eat on the move.  Cheese sandwich then run at 3.15 pace?  

15/10/2013 at 16:48
" gnarly "?....????
15/10/2013 at 16:50
Hike ??
GKD
15/10/2013 at 17:27

I have no words......

GKD
15/10/2013 at 20:00

Hike: make forward progress without overspraining the sports bra elastic.

Gnarly: do not attempt traverse whilst drunk.

15/10/2013 at 21:13

GKD .....I also know the saying that the only stupid question is one that hasn't been asked.

Loulabell....Thank you for that, I shall a butchers at that.

Debra ....... Thank you. I'm really looking forward to SNOD, I'm a tad nervous, but my theory is, if I can conquer this as a first marathon, then I can go into all other marathons with confidence,

In terms of the Thames Trot, I will start to include eating on the move into my long runs after SNOD.  I in no way underestimate the navigation side of it, but looking at the course route, it seems far easier to navigate than some and as an exiled Royal, I can pop home occasionally for a few recce runs. Thames Trot, for me is a localish run which seems a good race to test my feet in the world of ultras and a confidence booster as well.

15/10/2013 at 22:06

Any one ever done rings of shap?

15/10/2013 at 22:33
Omg. I'm not sure I want details ....
GKD
15/10/2013 at 23:18
Excellent. Now we've both proven we know sayings.

And so onto your question. If you're so vague with your request for information that the whole post basically boils down to ' I want to run an ultra tell me everything' then you could just read the thread. Actually you could just read and ten page section, that question is asked in that form approximately every 3.7 days.

However if you do have a look you will get answers like ' you should eat' and ' run with a pack ' or do lots of walking. And if that answers your question then brilliant, I can also confirm that the pope has been baptised and bears have no need of Charmin.

So there you go, if you have a specific question ask away, welcome to the forum, there's a big bin of senses of humour by the door, grab what you need
GKD
16/10/2013 at 00:05

spen71 - The 'SNOD ultra runnig thread' is a good repository of info about 'gnarly' events, and of people who run them.

My ultra season is over for this year.  I don't race between Nov-Mar because breathing in cold air wreaks havoc with my asthma which I seem to have developed over the last 5 years or so.  A pity but is something I'm having to live with.

Only 4 this year to bring my total to 44.  I need to get a bit quicker but not sure how to go about it.  I'm slightly worried about the 28-hour cutoff for TP100 which I've entered.  Just get out there and do the miles I suppose.

If I've got anything intelligent to say I'll join in the chat ...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.