wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,661 to 7,680 of 8,295 messages
WiB
16/10/2013 at 09:07

Easiest way to get faster is to run faster! Banging out miles will get you so far but will be limited as to how far it can take you.

Think of running a 100 as running at say 60% of maximum pace. If your improve your max ace, the 60% is no harder to run but you are moving faster.

Tempo runs, progression runs and long intervals (1 mile - 5k).

WiB
WiB
16/10/2013 at 09:07

*max pace

WiB
16/10/2013 at 09:22

I agree with WIB.   I ran miles and miles at about 70%,   In the end the progression stopped so I have switched to tempo runs and intervals.

16/10/2013 at 23:35

The RO of the Dartmoor Discovery race once said that the best way to improve your 50-mile time is to get your 1-mile time down.

I'll sort something out along those lines.  I know that if I stick to long offroad ultras and long offroad training runs I'll only become a plodder.

Thanks guys.

WiB
17/10/2013 at 07:16

That RD was speaking sense!

Great race too. Need to go back to it!

WiB
20/10/2013 at 19:32

Hi all, I'm really new to running, May this year, but I've found that I love it and I've done my first half too, Robin Hood in 2:06. 

I have been progressing my runs and can easily run 18-20 miles now, I did a 31 mile run last week which was tough but only the last 4 miles were difficult. 

I want to get into ultra running and I could do with training advice, I've got the VLM to run in April but want to be able to run an ultra next year too!

WiB
20/10/2013 at 23:28

Michael - The training for ultras is not so different to marathon training. Especially if you are looking for an ultra in the 30-50 mile area.

Don't run too many miles that you end up injured, include plenty of quality runs, easy runs and long runs to cover all the bases. Run on relevant terrain if you can. Hills are your friend. Don't be scared to rest, its better to choose to rest 1 day than be forced to rest for a week or more. Obviously don't be a massive pansy either!

WiB
21/10/2013 at 01:17

Read this thread.  Yes, all 384 pages.  It's good endurance training.

21/10/2013 at 08:11
Hello Michael , what WiB said really ????
21/10/2013 at 08:13
And practise with the stuff you plan on eating / drinking during an ultra and any kit you plan on wearing in the day . Hmm that's it ....easy peasy
21/10/2013 at 09:02

Hi Michael, welcome. I agree with what's been said above, in general. If you want more of an idea of the volumes of training which might be useful, I suggest looking at some 50K and 50 mile training schedules - not to follow slavishly, but to see the sorts of volumes which many other people have found to work. It's also useful because you can see the variation in training programmes which have worked. I found it very useful to approximately follow various training schedules in my first year of ultras - it gave me confidence that I would be able to complete the distance on race day; some other people on here prefer to do it all by how they feel.

I actually went from HM to 50K to April marathon to 50-miler in 2012 for my first year upping the distances. Worked for me becase it encouraged me to increase the distances for the 50K then once my legs were used to that I put the speed work back in for the marathon.

Oh, and if you've already run a 31-mile run: congratulations, you've already DONE an ultra!

21/10/2013 at 09:39

I know there are lots of ultras in the uk that i need to look at and there are lots of seriously hard ones, but I must admit after taking a peek at the site something like The Ocean Floor Race looks fun

25/10/2013 at 20:35

Hi Everyone

I joined this thread when it began two years ago before I had even run my first marathon. Was planning to do a 50miler in 2012 but realised I simply wasn't up to it. I'm very slow and trying to fit in so many hours of training with 4 kids, two jobs and studying for a degree, didn't work.

However, I'm delighted to anounce that five marathons later I am finally ready to do my first Ultra It's a very easy one. The Stort 30 on Sunday and I am sooooo excited.

To be honest I am most worried about the lack of company. Have done all my training accompanied by my 10yr daughter on her bike who has talked and sang to me for hours. But I don't have a running partner for Sunday and hope I can mentally handle the 6hrs of running without a chatabox to keep me going. Loula wish you were running it with me

26/10/2013 at 00:17
Chili !!! Wish I could have too but miss llb at dance rehearsal , so have to be here for that . Otherwise I would have gladly run it !
26/10/2013 at 13:19

Chilibean: Good luck and enjoy it. I'm sure you'll find someone to run and chat with, even without Loulabell!

26/10/2013 at 20:26

Chilibean - Like Debra says, I'm sure you will end up with folk to chat to along the way, I always do on long runs....

26/10/2013 at 21:10

Thank you

26/10/2013 at 23:03
Good luck sweetie!! I will b thinking of you
27/10/2013 at 13:06

Yesterday I completed my first marathon, Snowdonia. I was more than happy with my time of 3.49 and don't actually feel to bad today.  And most importantly loved almost every minute of it ( miles 22-24 were a bit cheeky mind)

I am planning on running the Thames Trot in February as an introduction to Ultras. My plan is to do spend this week doing a few recovery runs and then step it up for TT.

27/10/2013 at 15:14

LE: congratulations; that's a decent time and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, do take it easy for a few runs - you may find it's a couple of weeks before you're really feeling rested. Then onwards to TT!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.