wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,681 to 7,700 of 8,329 messages
27/10/2013 at 15:59

Thank you Debra. I was chuffed to bits with it. Before hand I was looking at around a sub 4.30. But my legs felt good and so I went for it. Even at the end my legs felt good, so I feel I could maybe have gone a tad faster.

I will rest today, and go for a recovery tomorrow. I will just ease myself back into it, listen to my body and try not to do anything too soon. The last thing I want to do is cause myself any long term issues. 

27/10/2013 at 18:03

Great job, LE, you're right to be chuffed with that time. Listen to your body and you won't go far wrong. Get your entry in, and I'll see you at the start line.

27/10/2013 at 20:50

I did it! 30 miles complete and I am now an Ultra runner!

27/10/2013 at 22:39

Well done chili congrats

28/10/2013 at 13:57

Chilibean: Well done! Congratulations.

28/10/2013 at 18:11

well done LE and Chili!!

chili, how about doing country to capital with me in jan?

28/10/2013 at 20:35

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Ahhh, Loula, that sounds fun, but I've been training hard all summer and plan to drop my mileage a bit over the winter. I am also waiting to hear when I have to go into hospital for an operation so I'm not booking any more long distance events until that is over with.

Hope you enjoy the race

29/10/2013 at 18:18

Thank you to both Loulabell and Tiago, it's much appreciated. I just hope it's not beginners luck,

29/10/2013 at 19:03
LE - I doubt it was beginners luck , well done and onwards and upwards !
I was dithering between c2c and TT ,but the latter sold out so thts decision made lol
29/10/2013 at 21:04

Loulabell, I have the same issue. So I emailed the wonderful people at Gobeyond and they have added me to the wait list. They said the wait list is quite small, so there is a good possibility that i'll get a spot.

29/10/2013 at 22:53

I've been looking at some training plans for TT. All of which look pretty straight forward. Most seem to lack real speed training. Can speed training still be included into a Ultra training program? I really don't want to lose my speed and would actually like to become faster.

Any advice and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

29/10/2013 at 23:20

I'm an ultra newbie... So I'm sure I'll be corrected but from what I read the majority view seems to be it is not needed so don't worry.., BUT, if like in your case you want to keep doing speed work go for it. Most plans seem to be more hills then speed but isn 't hill/speed work similar in what it achieves?

Edited: 29/10/2013 at 23:22
GKD
29/10/2013 at 23:32
LE there's a very strong argument that speed work is the most important part of ultra training, if all you do is long slow runs then you'll become a decent runner who's good at running slowly
GKD
29/10/2013 at 23:42
My god im a good slow runner,no wonder my 40 miler is 8hr 15 & marathon is 4.17 lol. I need SPEED.
GKD
30/10/2013 at 00:05
If you can raise your average pace through speed work then that average will translate through the distances you run. You'll also get far more benefit from limited training time if you push your thresholds on your runs. Not every run of course but for the gains I'd suggest speed work is definitely worth it
GKD
WiB
30/10/2013 at 09:12
booktrunk wrote (see)

I'm an ultra newbie... So I'm sure I'll be corrected but from what I read the majority view seems to be it is not needed so don't worry.., BUT, if like in your case you want to keep doing speed work go for it. Most plans seem to be more hills then speed but isn 't hill/speed work similar in what it achieves?

Whhhatttt??!!? 

I'm firmly in the "faster running is best" camp. For the reasons GKD says plus, it builds strength, improves form, puts your legs through a much wider range of movement, adds variety to your running... and if you want to get sciency then something about lactate threshold and VO2 max... but most of all, its great fun

WiB
30/10/2013 at 12:11

Thanks for the advice. it's greatly appreciated. Sadly, it won't be the end of my questions lol.

My marathon training plan is this - Mondays cross training/recovery. Tue  Club Threshold Trg, Weds medium distance steady, Thurs - Club interval trg - Friday - Rest, Sat - Tempo run, Sun - Long run.

My plan is, to increase the distances for the Tuesday Threshold and turn the Saturday tempo into another long run. I will be doing it along the banks of the Foss as training for the TT. It's quite hilly in places -  the total ascent is 1194ft. So I'm hoping it should put me in good stead.

For my long runs and Half marathons, I've always ran with a pack on my back, and did so at SNOD this year. It pretty much includes, drink, food/gels and warm kit. It weighs I would say about 8kg in total. How much weight do you tend to carry on average ultra?

30/10/2013 at 16:42
WiB wrote (see)

but most of all, its great fun

hehe that sounds the most awesome reason.

30/10/2013 at 17:34

I loath speed work but love hills - so I try and do a hill session every week plus a tempo run - is as close as I'll get to a speed session!! Then mix my long runs up between flat disused railway and forest, hilly mountains and not-quite-so hilly fells. 

Definitely noticed a difference this year from hill work, especially the work of running hard DOWN the hills.

Not sure how much my pack usually weighs, will have to weight it and see - depends on how remote the race is.

30/10/2013 at 18:13

Ditto that cc. I'm not a fan of speed work either, but I love hills. Hills are speed work in disguise, especially if you push it on the downs rather than using them to recover.

I'm a big advocate of doing what you enjoy in training, gotta make it fun.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.