wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,681 to 7,700 of 7,961 messages
15/09/2014 at 19:45

+1 

You are called ultrajunkies you are a plural? 

19/09/2014 at 07:13

Can anyone suggest when to start training properly for Country To Capital 75km ultra in Jan 17th / 2015 - Also can anyone suggest a good training plan! I am really trying to strengthen my core, currently with 2 big 1.75km - 2.5km swims per week, currently only running around 20 miles and doing the odd half marathon, If I start training properly late November ( i am in Peru until Nov 22nd ), is that going to be enough time to get in top shape for the Ultra, I also have Tokyo marathon 4 weeks after, super excited about going to Tokyo!!!!!!

19/09/2014 at 09:13

Gives you around 10 weeks... if you think that's long enough to get you around 75km going to have a quick jump up in your mileage but you still have your fitness from your last ultra.

If you are targeting the Tokyo marathon, then maybe treat the ultra as a looooong LSR for Tokyo as you'll be able to do a 14 week plan for Tokyo so maybe do a high mileage training plan for Tokyo and semi just wing it on your Ultra as a very slow LSR for Tokyo?

19/09/2014 at 09:36
When you put it like that 10 weeks doesn't sound very long at all!!!! Should have my base fitness still from my 50km ultra in august ???

Bit worried about over doing it on the ultra then maybe having an injury for Tokyo!? For the 75km is was just hoping to complete, so really slow plodding pace, with run / walk all the way!

Strange looking back on my training, as this year was my first marathon and previously i'd only done on half marathon, this year I have completed 6 half marathons, one full marathon and one 50 km ultra! Wondering if I am not ready for a 75km yet.....?
19/09/2014 at 09:47

I think you're leaving it a bit late not starting training until near the end of November. I'd start fitting in some longer runs now, if I was you. 75K is not much less than 50 miles; if you look at http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-50m.asp that should give you an idea of training. Of course, everyone varies and schedules are a good indication rather than rules to be followed rigidly, but if you don't get some miles on your legs then I think it's unlikely you're going to come through the 75K in a fit state to run a marathon four weeks later.

An alternative would be to train for your marathon, get in some long days out walking as well and aim for a run-walk strategy with plenty of walking for Country to Capital?

19/09/2014 at 09:49

Dank If you are worried, then drop the ultra and just concentrate on Tokyo as it sounds amazing, and you wouldn't want to screw that up by over training for the ultra.  That is if Tokyo is the priority, which I am assuming it is.

19/09/2014 at 09:55

I was about to post I thought that starting training for C2C 6-7 weeks before, (and with Christmas in the middle) was a bit short - certainly to be in 'top shape'... 

Having seen booktrunk's comment, this is the way I'd go - drop C2C and concentrate on Tokyo. With all the tapering / recovery you'd miss a lot of key marathon-specific sessions - in fact, you'd probably do very little marathon-specific running from New Year to the Tokyo marathon. 

19/09/2014 at 10:18

I'm actually in the same boat, I got caught up in Ultra fever, and I have a marathon Loch Ness in a weeks time, that I've ended up doing 0 marathon specific training for and as a result i think it's going to cost me a bottle of whisky

19/09/2014 at 10:28

ah bugger, yes i kind of knew that was the sensible suggestion, Tokyo is once in a lifetime, so need to focus on that, i guess if i don't get into London Marathon I can look to doing a 75km ultra april / may, giving me plenty of training and tapering, I too got caught up in the Ultra bug, really wanted to push myself harder with the ultras, now i have had a taste of them it;s really what I want to be doing!

19/09/2014 at 10:38

Or just run the first half of C2C - to the canal as a long run, (22-miles) and drop there... You get a supported run, with company and can experience the infamous "race to the gate" 

19/09/2014 at 10:41

Hmmm, doesn't seem worth it if I am not going to complete, knowing me, i'd push on and end up with an injury....no I think it's best to leave it, does feel  abit rushed, guess my mileage will need to be 30-50 miles per week leading up to it, and i am way off that currently, around 20 miles, 

19/09/2014 at 10:42

Dank: I know what you mean.... really need to be sensible I haven't been with to much to quickly but hey we all have to learn one way or another.  I'm trying to calm down and be more selective next year.

19/09/2014 at 11:21

thanks for the advice anyway, and hopefully my one pitiful ultra this year allows me to still be part of the 'club' next year!

19/09/2014 at 14:24

Sounds a sensible decision Dank-art. Plenty of other ultras out there to choose from - but so much exciting stuff it is easy to get carried away!

19/09/2014 at 15:14

country to capital looked really good, hope there's another like that next year!

22/09/2014 at 00:05

Ladybower 50 today, hot n sweaty got round a whole 7 minutes faster than last year.

22/09/2014 at 08:12
Well done bookatrunk!
22/09/2014 at 08:35

Well done booktrunk! Congrats on the PB.

22/09/2014 at 09:22

Well done booktrunk. Hope it signals a change of fortune for you.

22/09/2014 at 09:26

Thanks everyone

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.