wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,701 to 7,720 of 7,872 messages
22/09/2014 at 09:54

Well done BT  look forward to the report 

23/09/2014 at 12:45
Interesting read about the mental side of uktra running if you're interested.

http://www.ultrajunkies.com/lakeland-100-2014/
06/10/2014 at 17:47

Hello everyone! I've been stalking this thread on and off for a while,and have finally committed to 2015 being the year I do an ultra. No doubt I could find all the answers in this thread, but its really very long, so wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction!

I've done a marathon and a few halves, and next year really want to do London (no ballot place for the third year), but as lots of close family have struggled with cancer this year, I am dedicated to doing it for charity. I also want to do an ultra next year and raise money for both together. 

I have been tempted by the Thames 100km in September - a long way for a first but it seems so iconic. Would it be possible to do marathon specific training for London in April, and then train for the 100km (I would simply be looking to finish in the 15hr cut off time). Or would it make more sense to do a shorter ultra of around 50miles? I have just done Bournemouth marathon this weekend, (4.09 with a stitch, so aiming for sub 4 for next one) and feeling ok (no injuries or pain), so after a few weeks of rest I'm quite ready to get back onto training fro something - would it be wise to target London and then look for a shorter summer ultra (any suggestions!?), or to possibly even do C2C in Jan and then target London?

Sorry for many confused questions! I want to get an idea asap of what I want to do so I can plan and start thinking of charities, but just can't figure out what is a good idea! Any advice would be really appreciated!

GKD
06/10/2014 at 18:06

What was the question again?

GKD
06/10/2014 at 18:41

Thames Path 100km as first ultra after London mara, or do a shorter summer ultra? Can you train specifically for London and then do a 100km in Sept?

06/10/2014 at 18:55

Yep.

Although be careful with the L word around here, it can be quite divisive.

06/10/2014 at 18:59

Oh, thank you! Ok, "Non-specific April Marathon".

Do you know any good 100km plans? Googling it is a minefield!

GKD
06/10/2014 at 19:15

Short answer s yes. Easily. Long answer is still yes but contains some technical stuff. 

GKD
06/10/2014 at 19:17

Brilliant, thank you! I needed to know it wasn't completely stupid, as I've so caught the bug and it's now all I can think about!

GKD
06/10/2014 at 19:31

Then do it. No one in the world knows you better than you. Best of luck.

GKD
06/10/2014 at 19:48

I would say forget the specific plans, and just do more of what you enjoy, you're more likely to stick to it that way. I think ultras are more about lifestyle than schedules. But that might just be me. Enjoy trotting along in the countryside and don't think of it as a chore, and you'll be right.

06/10/2014 at 20:10

runwiththewind: Everyone is different and will take a route that suits them. For me what worked (when increasing distances from HM for the first time) was training from October HM towards a 50K in January (increasing distance and starting back-to-back long runs) then training for a marathon in April (reducing distance on the long runs but increasing speed work compared to training for the 50K), then increasing distance and back-to-backs again for a 50-miler in August. Training schedules available online can be useful to give you an indication of the sort of mileage you might want to aim for.

And like Tiago said, enjoy the running!

07/10/2014 at 07:44

runwiththewind: I did an ultra last year of 50K which was labelled "beginners" - although a lot of people use it as just a nice summer ultra. It's 50K/30 miles-ish, no cut off time, so no pressure, and pretty nice scenery and should be a good gauge for how your training is going:

http://www.xnrg.co.uk/events/details/chiltern-challenge-ultra2015.aspx

I'm sure there will be plenty more recommendations, but this sounds ideal from what you've written.  And no,  I'm not associated with the company at all!

But as GKD has pointed out, do it!  

07/10/2014 at 13:38

Thanks everyone, and sorry - I know you get a lot of these questions so it's quite annoying to see another one!

Its definitely confirmed my decision! Think I will focus on Spring marathon but up the mileage in the lead up, then look for back to backs and longer weekend runs. Thanks for all the advice!

08/10/2014 at 20:13

My 2p worth: Commit to the ultra and start training for it now then use the April "Non specific marathon" as part of the build up. Then from April "After the over rated non specific marathon" ramp up the mileage on your Sunday long run and job done.

10/10/2014 at 08:30

Aiming for an Ultra at the tail end of 2015 or into 2016. Can anyone recommend an event in Scotland to start with for newbie?

seren nos    pirate
10/10/2014 at 08:35

sorry Nyquist... haven't done any up there yet.in a few years time would love to do some

10/10/2014 at 09:05

runwiththewind: I can also recommend the XNRG events. I did the Chiltern Ultra this July and loved it so much I signed up for the Pony Express in May. It's 60 miles over 2 days sleeping in a school hall in the middle. 30 miles a day in the beautiful New Forest 2nd/3rd May sounds lovely. It is however the week after the L run which I have GFA entry for. Also running Brighton Marathon on 12th April because that is my PB course so far. Hubby just doesn't understand how addictive running is!!

10/10/2014 at 10:27

Hi Nyquist...

Try these two :-

http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/races/uk.html#scotland

https://www.sientries.co.uk/

On the SI Entries site you can look via the "Events Map" tab.

Edited: 10/10/2014 at 10:31
19/10/2014 at 20:49

Good evening all,

I have just entered next years Thames Trot, which will be my first Ultra. I had planned on running this last year, but due to an operational deployment to Afghanistan, was unable to run it. 

At the moment, i am running approximately 50 miles a week and have recently ran my 2nd marathon, the Yorkshire marathon in 3.18, a week after returning from Afghanistan. Of which,i was more than happy with. I have taken the past week of, purely as a bit on RnR and to spend some quality time with the family.

Tomorrow, my Thames Trot training begins in earnest. I was wondering if any of you more experienced Ultra runners could advise me on what realistic finishing time i should aim for.

I have looked at the Trail event link on here, and the weekly mileage is lower than what i am running at the moment. I'm thinking of continuing my marathon training program, with just increasing the distance of my long run's and introducing back to back long runs. Does this seem like a good plan? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.