wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,741 to 7,760 of 7,863 messages
08/12/2013 at 07:56

I also focus on just heading out the door - no watch, no plan, no time limit; perhaps a different location. usually does the trick, but definitely need time out sometimes ... the summer is lawsuits that time for me, the school holidays provide a perfect time to kick back a bit as I have no choice!

09/12/2013 at 01:34

So when you are planning on running a distance for a 1st time how do you work out your timing just wing it or is McMillan still reasonably accurate / worth a peek at 100k sort of distances?

i did 50m in just under 12h but was sick on the day and think If i had different food plans and was feeling well that I could have cracked 11h did a 4:36 marathon 3 weeks later, so looking at the wall next summer at 69m 

trying to come up with a ballpark target, as it gives me something to aim at / gives me a clue for timings. Does 17-18 hours sound a sensible sort of target to try to aim for? 

So thinking for my 50 was suggested I go through halfway in marathon plus half hour sort of time? for 69 m is it much slower than a 50 or similar sort of speed and just wing it

EDIT: McMillan seems to think around 15:30-16:00 seems a target.  Which is actually only around 7km per hour which seems ridiculously slow, as i've been doing heart rate training recently where 8km in an hour with an average heart rate of 122 is something i've been doing which I find really interesting as i feel so fresh  So I guess I really should be looking closer to 16 then 18 hours as an A goal.

Edited: 09/12/2013 at 10:45
09/12/2013 at 10:56

hehe, it's depressing how slow I am, some people could walk it faster than i'm going to do it.  But, in fairness my normal leisurely walk is actually borderline 3 MPH so it would take me 23 hours just walking it, and eating on the go.

09/12/2013 at 12:02

OK.... Plan sorted. Might be wrong but I have it now.  7:30 per km / 12 minute miles with 60 minutes of breaks spread over the 6 rest points, and an A target of sub 15 hours, my B target is 17:30 and C Target is 23:59:59

09/12/2013 at 21:31

I think 15 hrs is a goodplan booktrunk, good to have the back up plan as well. It can really help mentally to have that in place so if you do look like missing plan A you don't get too despondent which can wreck the last part of the race. Also you have a bit more experience and should hopefully be able to fine tune the food/nutrition strategy to avoid stomach issues.
And like your plan C it's all about finishing!

09/12/2013 at 22:05

Thanks Jeremy

it sounds daft as it's so far away but it is a little load off my mind. I now know what I'm aiming for. 

Now have next year up to the end of summer sorted.

May sub 4:30 Marathon.

June The Wall with targets.

August Ridgeway challenge, only target to complete it.

Sept 21, Ladybower 50m ran to heart rate

Sept 28, Loch Ness marathon, giving it everything (100%) to beat Andi. 

10/12/2013 at 22:02

You seem to be missing January - May but some good races there - quite fancy Loch Ness but it is a long way from me.
I have Thames Trot Feb, The Grizzly March, London (sub 3?), May - Imrys Mara, June Dartmoor Discovery and Endure24.
Need to find a nice ultra for the Autumn as the good ones are filling fast!

10/12/2013 at 22:20

Loch Ness mara is easy to get to if you fly - flights to Inverness from most Southern locations ... I only say this because I have to travel FROM Inverness to get to races!!! That said, I haven't done the Loch Ness marathon yet ...

10/12/2013 at 22:49

I'm in East Midlands miles away and cannot afford to fly at least I don't think I can, but it's a challenge..... It's a proper race him against me... Winner takes all, well a bottle of single malt will never have met until the start line love getting to know people on these forums

10/12/2013 at 22:53

I've done 3 marathons 5:30 4:57 and 4:36 he did 4:56 in his first, and he will run his second in April with his third and my 5th being Loch Ness

11/12/2013 at 00:54

I'm in Devon so I'd still have to drive to London, pay car park etc so it's not cheap. Drove up that way last year with family but we stopped a few days in the Lake District each way. Sadly poor planning as wrong date to do Loch Ness
My first was 4:43 - so painful I swore I'd not do another.......

11/12/2013 at 17:54
Hello Jeremy !! Nice too see you back * does a jingly wave * ????
11/12/2013 at 17:57
Book trunk , you have a nice list of events there , remember that amongst all the angst of kit , pace , cut offs and fuel - enjoy it !! Or what's the point
11/12/2013 at 18:14

Thanks loulabell very good point.

i have been doing some slower heart rate based trainjng and will until the new year loving it, as it's very slow and different a refreshing change  

eill have fun in early months sorting out equipment etc... basically nice wet gear 

12/12/2013 at 20:20

When I do a longer event, I break my plan down into segments. 

Lets take a 100 as an example. 

You might be able to run the first 25 miles at a pace close to your marathon pace, and you will be able to constrain when you hit this point pretty accurately. 

You would have to reduce your pace from miles 25-50,but you will still be able to constrain the time when you hit the 50 mile mark fairly accurately. 

From miles 50-100 you try to maintain whatever pace you can, but you cannot constrain when you will hit the 70, 80, or 90 mile mark.  You might have a good race and maintain a steady pace to the finish, or the wheels might come off the wagon to a greater or lesser extent.  Something going wrong at mile 70, or 80 can equate to an additional four hours on your finishing time. 

For the Wall I would break it down approximately into the following segments, and have a plan for each:

Miles 1-25 (obviously if there is a checkpoint at 24 miles it will be 1-24)

Miles 25-50

Miles 50-69 (might change dramatically if the wheels come off the wagon)

For the Ridgeway it would be:

Miles 1-25

Miles 25-50

Miles 50-87 (might change dramatically if the wheels come off the wagon)

I would suggest that you wait until after the May marathon and possible PB, before you draw up the plan. 

13/12/2013 at 08:46

Ben does it again cheers Ben.

50-87 I think i'm always thinking of splitting that into two halves haha i know it's only 36/37 miles   but i'm a bit of a wimp.

Ghod sat at my desk still drunk from last nights party.... it's going to be a looooong day.  I'm trying to think of it as mental practise

13/12/2013 at 10:41

You lot are soft! 

I only did my first 5km last year (2012) in nearly 28 mins. Worked hard over winter and did my first marathon in May 2013 (Edinburgh in 3h51). 

Did my first ultra at Equinox 24 running 160km in 22h52m. Less than one week later I was on the 15 hour coach from Leicester (I'm from East Mids too Booktrunk) to the Loch Ness marathon as I could not afford to fly either (sat next to the winner Tarus Elly as it happens-he got on at Manchester).

Even though I had ran 160km the previous weekend (and could barely walk Mon/Tues) I managed to finish in a 3h52 just 51 seconds off my only previous marathon up at Edinburgh, which is a much flatter course.

All that being said, it would have been more comfortable to run to Loch Ness than take the National Express again!

I have got the Country2Capital, West Highland Way and Equinox24 all entered already and hope to see some of you there!

13/12/2013 at 11:04

Steve: i'm doing lazy only doing 82km the weekend before.  That has cheered me up. but in all fairness I am a slow wuss

13/12/2013 at 15:46

Sorry Booktrunk, I really didn't mean it!! I like to see all runners (and walkers) regardless of standard out on the roads and trails I know I am far, far away from being a good runner yet!

Maybe I'll see you at an event soon?

Apologies if I have missed anything (there are 7000+ posts in this thread) but if you haven't looked at the Equinox24 yet I would HIGHLY recommend it, either solo or in a team of 4-8. Personally I think pairs would be almost too hard, but what do I know?It's on the Notts/Leics border 20/21st September 2014

13/12/2013 at 16:42

Love to but already doing another ultra that Sunday

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.