wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,741 to 7,760 of 7,872 messages
27/11/2014 at 08:47

Enjoying the cooler weather and running in the dark and loving running up the hills, not so much down. Living in Sheffield it is hard not to have to go up/down a hill during any run. Just started my Manchester marathon training plan which is my focus for the early part of the year in an attempt to get under 3:30. It's an extended plan (22 weeks I think) as I will be doing one week hard and one week easy; this is to protect my dodgy ITB which hasn't totally gone away in the last 2 years.

Then, my plan is to run the St Cuthberts Way ultra in July (46 miles), Ultra Tour of the Peak District (50k) in August and Harmoors 60 (60 miles) in August.

27/11/2014 at 09:38

That's a fun looking summer carterusm.

Know what you mean about the IT Band, mine doesn't cause any problems, but it's always just there .... slightly tight occasionally, never enough to stop me doing anything, just occasionally makes me pause to think.

27/11/2014 at 13:03

I'm not enjoying the mud already! Do most of my runs on footpaths and everywhere is so slippery and slidey now! Makes it difficult to get above a plod for most of my runs. I'm going to have to incorporate a bit more road into some runs, but I get really bored on the road. Next main aim for me is Winter Tanners in January as build up to the Fellsman in April (plus a few LDWA type marathons along the way).

27/11/2014 at 13:14

I lost. All of October due to a bad cold. Done far less than I should have in November I'm averaging low 30s this month and I should be peaking. so will have to try to up my game over the next couple of weeks, going to also be getting as much walking as possible in as well. 

28/11/2014 at 09:22

Hi all. I occasionally lurk on this thread as I keep considering moving up to ultras. For those other than Booktrunk, that may not know about the Galloway stuff mentioned below, it is an approach to running that strategically uses run/walk/run at the core of its training. Look up Jeff Galloway's official site for details. It is great for marathon and ultra running.

Booktrunk

Just saw your comment about doing lots of walking and I know you have shown a passing interest in the Jeff Galloway stuff. I am in very preliminary discussions about starting a group up in Yorkshire. In my explorations for this I came across the U.S. National Programme Manager Chris Twiggs. If anyone thought the Galloway stuff was for whimps, take a look at him on the Internet, especially his Facebook page. Impressive stuff- Ironman, Hardrock 100, loads of marathons. Thought you might be interested.

Edited: 28/11/2014 at 09:46
28/11/2014 at 10:05

Thanks

06/12/2014 at 17:20
Due the new forest running festival 50k (birthday present present) be interested to hear any good first timer advice or mistake people make
06/12/2014 at 17:31
Should say I have completed a marathon once and am a regular runner but over short distances and don't currently do anything longer than 6 to 10 miles
06/12/2014 at 20:06

When is the race Si48? I'd suggest following a marathon plan for a 50k. Make sure you are able to fuel well during the run- geks are a bit sickly for longer than marathon distance, and you are probably better to try to get used to "proper" food - I used Clif bars, flap jacks, and percy piglets- everyone varies, but because you are going just that little bit slower, you ca generally absorb food better.

07/12/2014 at 17:12
Thanks for the advice it's March 21st. So a little away yet
Got brooks hellrunner in Jan to prepare for first and then it'll be fully focused on the 50
07/12/2014 at 18:58

So.. You are concentrating on a 10-12m race and will then spend 2 months -  taper - recovery from your Jan race to prepare for your first 50k 

..... So umm errr you aren't going to fit many long slow runs in are you?  

Good Luck... Personally I'd treat the January thing as just a training run as part of a longer plan and get going with some reasonable length runs now. 

08/12/2014 at 06:48
Good point - in a way some of the training is similar to other stuff I've seen for the long runs with a lot of hill practice and there are good hills on my lunchtime runs. Main aim for that the brooks run is to do better than this year which was poor
08/12/2014 at 06:48
Good point - in a way some of the training is similar to other stuff I've seen for the long runs with a lot of hill practice and there are good hills on my lunchtime runs. Main aim for that the brooks run is to do better than this year which was poor
08/12/2014 at 08:07

Don't kill yourself for a pb, beat last years time slightly save some energy, because your gonna need it

21/12/2014 at 14:16

Trying to decide what to do about shoes- I've bought a pair of Brooks Cascadia without realising they were a lower heel drop than my Brooks adrenaline ASR's- I suspect that I'm now going to end up having to change shoes half way through the fling, as I think I will need the adrenaline's for the long flattish bit in the middle, but grip- wise the Cascadia are much better for the steeper bits nearer the end.

Wish I could find something that has the grippy soles of the Cascadia, but with the fit and heel drop of the Adrenalines.................GRrrrrrrrrr.

Any suggestions?

WiB
21/12/2014 at 15:48
Run as hard as you can at the Brooks race... It's 2 months apart!

Then pepare for the 50k the same way you would for a marathon as they are very similar races.

My training would be very similar for marathon, 50k or 50 miles.
WiB
29/12/2014 at 03:00

tricialitt - thinking about your 'long flattish bit' ...  Although it might look flat on the map the middle section of the Fling is technical terrain with lots of small climbs, steps, rocks, and tree roots.  You'd do well to have something grippy throughout.  Miles 6-12 are about the only ones where you wish you were in road shoes.

Great event - I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I've got a few ideas lined up for ultras in 2015, including my first one in the US.  I will post what they are once I have satisfactorily entered them which I haven't yet.

30/12/2014 at 19:56

Thanks TRex- I'm planning to get out there more to see it's like underfoot, and trying out the Cascadias on some of my long runs. I'm not good on slippy surfaces if I don't feel secure, so I suspect I will use the Cascadias for as much of it as I can. They make a huge difference to how runnable the local steeper hilly paths are.

My other half will be comnig up in the car- I could always phone him and ask him to meet me with a different pair of shoes if I'm not coping. (I've paid my extra tenner to be allowed to have a car along, so may as well fill the car up with spare shoes/ socks/ etc).

IGIT    pirate
02/01/2015 at 09:14

Hi all,

Just thought I'd pop on and introduce myself here - I've been hanging around the triathlon part of the forum for the last year as I did my first iron-distance event in August! I have set myself the challenge for 2015 of completing a 100km event - so yesterday I signed up for the Roseland August Trail (R.A.T.) event.

Looking forward to getting stuck back into training after a few months of being quite lazy!

02/01/2015 at 15:08

Spent 4 very wet hours recce'ing the middle section of the Fling course- involved a lot of wading through ice- cold streams, and at one point, wading on the edge of the Loch!

Lots of steps, tree roots, rocks, etc- great fun, cold and wet afterwards, but enjoyable!

Has anyone else been out much?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.