wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,761 to 7,780 of 7,872 messages
03/01/2015 at 03:54

Had the footbridges washed away, then??

See what I mean about the terrain - not too easy ...

Hopefully less wet for you in April.

03/01/2015 at 15:11

The bridges were there on the bigger streams, but the tiny little streams that don't warrant bridges had swollen enough to make them too big to just rock- hop across, and at least a few miles of the path had turned into an icy stream about 2-3 inches deep. ( Very cold on the feet!). THe wading in th eLoch occured where you are on the beach, and a little stream that feeds into the beach was just too fast and deep to cross, so we paddled into the loch to avoid the faster water!

I'm pretty clear now that my sole aim is to finish, and if I can move well enough ove rthe earlier sections to give me 30mins or so cushion for the cut off at Bein Glas, that would be lovely.

Felt a bit sorry for another lady who joined us , who was talking about a 12 hour target, as wanting to use it for comrades qualy- I didn't get the impression she'd appreciated how tough the terrain would be, and looks like she needs to re- think her target.

Looking forwards to my nexy day out on the route- might tackle Conic hill next.

18/01/2015 at 20:01

Hi Guys and Girls 

Had physio today and found out that I have low arches on both feet any suggestion on trail running shoes/running shoes for this would be greatly appreciated, as it seems to be affecting my knees (patella tracking). I've been given a few exercises to assist with this and just want to get back out running ASAP.

Thanks

AL  

19/01/2015 at 10:14

Alcow - not an expert in this sort of thing at all, but surely a pair of custom orthotics would be your best bet? Most trail shoes are neutral, so having your own orthotics to insert would give you a lot more options. I'm surprised that your physio didn't suggest making you a pair (although I believe they are fairly pricey).

23/01/2015 at 12:29

Hey all,

so last year I completed the London Marathon ( 5 hours) and I am doing Manchester this year ( hoping for 4:30/45 ish). I am training for Manchester currently and on my build up phase. 

However, I would love to try an Ultra. I know some people doing the Brecon Ultra in November, but that looks tough, can anyone recommend an Ultra from June/july onwards that is good for beginners? 

23/01/2015 at 12:44

Big fan of Ladybower 50m

it's a small 5m and then 3 x 15m loop. So only need to carry stuff for 15m not 50. Can stop at your car at the end of each lap to stock up. 13 hour cut off, some grass, a few km of rough track and some roads on each lap, and a small set of steps to go up and down 4 times, takes place in Sept around 21/22nd love it. Going back for my 3rd year probably this year. 

23/01/2015 at 20:46

Gritstone Grind by Beyond Marathon is in  September and is specifically aimed at beginners.  Never done one of their events, but their reputation is good.  

XNRG events have no cut off so are very beginner friendly.

26/01/2015 at 14:02

Hi All been lurking around for a while now but have finally bitten the bullet and entered my first Ultra yikes.

It's the Run to the Castle by How Hard Can It Be events in August 42 miles on coastal path from Aberdovey to Harlech my welcome e-mail say's it's ideal for a first ultra. 

I'm doing Trail Marathon Wales at the end of June (and will hopefully get up to a 24 mile training run before this) so that's 2 months before then thinking of another marathon length run and one of 28-30 and probably 1 or 2 x 20ish runs does this sound like enough ?

26/01/2015 at 20:25

Would twenty 5km races in twenty hours be considered an Ultra?

http://merseyraces.co.uk/summerfestival.html

Details still a bit vague at the moment;
  "There will be 20 5k races Jemma over the 24 hrs, it's a team event so a team of 5 will complete all 20 races (4 each). Hope that helps." .
I have contacted the organiser asked about single person teams and they've said maybe, if there is enough interest.

28/01/2015 at 21:08

Ohh signed up for the dukeries 40m in May, and nomad 50m in June both quite local  

29/01/2015 at 20:52

Hi all

good to see you  are all putting the miles in. Hope you don't mind me butting in.

alco

Orthotics from Boots in neutral trainers will do you fine. I had my feet assessed and custom made orthotics, not a patch on the off the shelf ones I bought from boots. Keep doing foot/toe scrunches though or your feet will just get weaker because they are being heavily supported. 

03/02/2015 at 20:42
Evening all, I've not popped in for a while . Wondered If anyone doing TT on Saturday
03/02/2015 at 20:42
Booktrunk , did you do Spine challenger this time ?..
04/02/2015 at 09:06

Yes, failed miserably the wind destroyed me, bashed my knee up and hardly got anywhere.  Loved the whole experience it was amazing.  But the Winds just blew me away. Lots of fun and the other competitors were awesome.

17/02/2015 at 23:01

Thought I'd post my ultras for 2015.  Anyone doing any of these?

4 Apr  American River 50, California

22 Aug  Race to the Castle 42 (mid-Wales)

5 Sep  10Peaks Brecon Beacons 55

12 Sep  Black Mountains 40-ish (MCN)

18/02/2015 at 07:59

T Rex, I'm not doing any of those, here are mine.

17 May - Dukeries 40m 

11 July St Cuthberts Way 46m

15 August Ultra Tour of the Peak District 30m

19 September Hardmoors 60

18/02/2015 at 08:03

I think I've signed up for the Dukeries  

18/02/2015 at 08:18

You think ???!!

18/02/2015 at 08:34

Need to look on sientries, pretty sure I have

Edit: Yep, looked and I am.

Edited: 18/02/2015 at 08:58
18/02/2015 at 14:14

For me:

25th April Fellsman

15th August Ultra Tour of the Peak District 60m

Really excited about both of them!

What drew you to that US one T-Rex?

Dukeries and the Hardmoors series are both on my radar for future years, so will be interested to hear how you all get on.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.