wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,801 to 7,820 of 8,256 messages
19/02/2014 at 23:47

I was a weightlifter before I was a runner, so I never had any issues with core posture.

20/02/2014 at 12:50

Well bless you for trying.

No specific training, just lots of long slow miles, and way too much on roads because of the floods. Can't wait to hit the trails properly soon - I hope. Getting excited about the 100 already.

04/03/2014 at 20:09

popping by to make sure all you boys are behaving....seems ok....

04/03/2014 at 20:10

tiago are things drying out where you are? Ridgeway is v v muddy

04/03/2014 at 20:52

I'm right on the Thames, Looks, so not what I'd call dry yet, but slightly less oceanic than before. Are you training again?

04/03/2014 at 22:16

It's nice and dry in Scotland  sorry, not want you want to hear I am sure!!

I've seen some weightlifters with bl**dy awful posture when I used to work in the gym ... not saying that's you Ben, but just that it doesn't always follow!!

Slowly creeping back to some training here after six weeks of no proper training - not a good advert when a Pilates instructor has a bad back!!!! Fingers crossed I am on the road to recovery, Great Glen Way in 14 weeks time ... last long run done ... second week of January

LLB - seems very well behaved on here at the moment - no mud-slinging or 'helpful' advice/comments to newbies 

Edited: 04/03/2014 at 22:18
04/03/2014 at 22:27

Good luck cragchick. Hope you are back to speed quite quickly

In general, I am finding P&D training program for a spring marathon has really given my general running a boost. Thoroughly recommend it as a way of upping milage n fitness and then carrying on when it finishes with a ultra plan (or your own plan). 

07/03/2014 at 17:07

hello CC hows you? my training sounds much like yours im afrsid, crammed in here n there between the shuttling of  children to lessons/activities of various kinds.. ive been running to Zumba and home after when I can to add a few mles in-good practise for the dark/use of headtorch too!! how did you hurt your back??

we really need to sort out an event we can meet at Cragchick

07/03/2014 at 19:21

waving at LLB - yes, one day, a race ... together ... we will chat incessantly!!  Oh the joys of fitting in training around the lives and activities of children - it's a joke, no question! so yes, you have to be very creative ... like the post-Zumba headtorch runs . I have to get my stuff in during school hours when not working as husband still works away all week every week, keeps me focussed on what needs to be done though I guess rather than junk mileage?? I'm happy with ANY mileage

As for the bu**ered back, combination of backing off training over Christmas and then just assuming I could step straight back into long runs ... 18 mile long run first week back was not a good call ... and of course, I spend my time instructing my lovely Pilates clients on strengthening their core, but make no time to practise what I preach ... so I've had a timely reminded of exactly why I was so passionate about Pilates in the first place. Lots of hip/glute strengthening stuff seems to be doing the job though.

So what challenges await you this year?  I am hoping to do The Great Glen Way with a 30-miler (Dirty Thirty on the west coast a few weeks before as last long run).  I did have my  name on the waiting list for NDW 100 race but I wouldn't be able to do GGW AND that so will see if a place comes up for NDW and then decide. Skyrunning series 3x3000 in Lakes in October (after six weeks of little training in the school holidays - cos that's really clever isn't it!!) ... and the The Spine Race in January ... so need to be VERY creative about training for that ...

Edited: 07/03/2014 at 19:23
08/03/2014 at 12:22

cragc, ouch that's bad news on the back issue, hope it sorts soon. typical though isn't it , not practising what we preach, I do it all day at work then go home and wont touch a painkiller for love nor money even though I know very well itd go in half the time if I did- mind you that's IF you could find tablets in my house. considering my job my house is a pretty useless place to be ill !

thatd be cool if you could get in NDW100, we could chat for most of that im sure lol!

sky running is still going on in the back of my mind too, Itd be post  NDW100 so id have that training to rely on at least ( I think ) so we will see. I might see you at either

08/03/2014 at 12:23

cragc, check your inbox. you have mail

08/03/2014 at 16:41

OK!!

09/03/2014 at 16:43

So the Thames looks dry? (er)

Edited: 09/03/2014 at 16:43
GKD
09/03/2014 at 17:17

The Thames is a river. It's highly unlikely to be dry

GKD
09/03/2014 at 18:24

09/03/2014 at 19:42

who mentioned it being dry anyway?? we have had these conversations before with this one....

15/03/2014 at 18:33

Question for the not-so-newbies... If you've done a 100mile race how long did it take for your legs to get back to normal afterwards?

I guess its different for everyone so would be good to know what people's experiences are.

I've entered both the TP100 and SDW100 which are 6 weeks apart. Of the 2 I'd most like to have a good run at the SDW so I'm not sure whether to ditch the TP and give myself a few more weeks training or whether I'll still have a good chance with 6 weeks recovery... Any thoughts welcome!

15/03/2014 at 18:50

It should be pretty doable Shaz. I have done two 100s three weeks apart, which I certainly do not recommend. It is not the ideal setup for a super fast time in the SDW 100, but that pair would be a pretty sweet haul for the year. 

Edited: 15/03/2014 at 19:03
16/03/2014 at 22:26

when I did my first 100-miler (sdw race in 2012), actually, the only 100-miler I've done!! my legs took about four weeks to feel happy running again. even when the niggles abated, I just had an underlying felling of lethargy and tiredness whenever I exerted myself. six weeks and I was fully good to go. all of us are different, no guarantee and it also depends what else is going on in your life demanding your energy ... kids in my instance!!

16/03/2014 at 22:50

After my first 100 (NDW100 2011), my ankle was swolen up, so that it looked like it was threaded through a sphere!  I fell on it badly at the 60 mile mark, and I should probably have pulled out right then, but it was my first 100, so I couldn't let it go.  I had to go to the hospital afterwards for an Xray, and it messed up my running for the rest of the year. 

The buckle is still hanging on my wall though!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.