wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,841 to 7,860 of 7,862 messages
08/03/2015 at 09:39

I swore that I would never do a 100 once, and now I am signed up for my eighth.  

People have a way of coming round to the idea eventually.  

What I would say to you is don't force the issue.

Wait until you have made up your mind in yourself, that you really want to do it.  

08/03/2015 at 13:46

TRex- do you think you might have been dehydrated or hyponatraemic before you developed the rhabdo? (I belive both are risk factors). Did any of the other knwn risk factors apply to you?- recent viral illness? low mileage in training? I don't know to what extent some folk are constitutionally inclined towards developing the condition, but obviously some folk who have suffered more than 1 episode have manged to return to long ultras, - It would be reassuring to identify a specific trigger that you could reverse for future races- even if you didn't feel like putting yourself through another 100 miler, it would surely be good to apply the same ideas to 50/ 60 milers, as even a mild dose of Rhabdo can't be good for you if it keeps happening.

Interesting to hear how difficult it is to think logically once you are into the middle of these races!

I am trying not to take any notice of Ben's post above, and persuade myself that I will never go beyond the 50/60 mile races that I'm now doing!

08/03/2015 at 14:25

Just a heads up guys, but some additional places have become available in this years Thames Path 100!

09/03/2015 at 00:42

Sorry - not even slightly tempted!!!

tricialitt - there's The Oner (Dorset) now organised by Brutal Events.  That's 78 miles. The Ridgeway Challenge is a superb event (86 miles).

Thanks for those thoughts.  I probably was dehydrated - hard not to be in events as long as that, especially as it was warm during the day.  I think by the time I quit I had taken on about 10L of water and own energy drink.

In the Badwater Ultra it is recommended to drink 70L!!  But that is Death Valley in July, not Old Father Thames in May.

WiB
09/03/2015 at 11:48

Any other factors likely to have had an effect such as NSAIDs?

WiB
09/03/2015 at 13:24

Don't take NSAIDs, WiB.  I'm allergic to them.

I put it down to lack of conditioning, I think.  I'm unable to do massive mileage in training and probably tells on race day.  In 2012, when I had a bad case of rhabdo in the Ridgeway 86, I had done the NDW100 only two weeks before, so that probably had a lot to do with it!

In 2014 I felt I was well prepared for TP100 to be honest, but it caught me out.

12/03/2015 at 21:19

Interesting- and worrying for the likes of me-I've got away with very low mileagre  training for my  50 milers so far, but obviously this wil lincrease the risk if I try to go any longer.I suspect that anything longer may be impractical in terms of getting in enough training miles.

15/03/2015 at 20:03

The main thing is the long run. Either consecutive days medium length (20-30 miles each) or a very long slow run of probably 40 miles max.  

Anything over 40 doesn't really have any extra training value although I've been up to 60 (offroad).  That took about 19 hours!  Got lost several times and ended up still a long way from home after nightfall and didn't have a torch so it all got a bit tricky.

15/03/2015 at 21:29

I have never really done much more than 30 miles in training.  

To be honest, I consider a good 20 mile hill session, to be better than 30 miles on the canal.  

WiB
16/03/2015 at 21:22
I agree Ben, you are a wise man! I go up to about 25 for a long run, rarely more.
WiB
17/03/2015 at 19:51

This forum needs a "Like" button, WiB!

18/03/2015 at 20:55

You are making me feel better about my rather pathetically short "long runs".I've never done more than marathon distance in training. Will try to do this weekend's as part of a back to back, which will be a first.

18/03/2015 at 21:18

run 13 slow miles, have a nice walk for an hour having a bit of a drink and munch on some lunch, then run another 13 miles slowly,. Hey presto you've got a long training run and will be pretty close to having a 50km run under your belt. 

29/03/2015 at 23:30

Going to test out Ben's theory .

Did a 30-mile canal run today.   Quite a number of locks uphill in the first couple of miles, then flat.  Very scenic since my local canal borders the Brecon Beacons National Park.

Out to mile 15 then return.  Negative split of 9m04.  Training value 9/10 I would say - keeping a faster pace on the return leg with the last two miles in particular quite a struggle.  Not helped by dropping my tube of Shot Blocks about mile 22 so had to finish without fuel supplies.

I'll do a 20-mile hill run at some point soon..  But first it's the American River 50 on 4 April.  Flying out on Wednesday.

30/03/2015 at 07:48

T Rex you must live in the Newport ish area that's the only uphill with locks that I know along any canal.

All the best for your 50 mile river race, let us know the full story when you get back home.

30/03/2015 at 11:40

Hope you all don't mind me jumping in here - been re-reading this thread after thinking about running an ultra. I've only run up to half mara distance but was considering the Thames Path Challenge (50k) as it seems mainly geared towards walkers so could enter as a walker and put in a strong run/walk strategy without feeling like I'm last! Also not till September so gives me plenty of time to train.

1 - Am I mad having not done anything over 13 miles (even then not fast)

2 - What would be the best way to train for this?

30/03/2015 at 17:11
Edited: 30/03/2015 at 17:11
30/03/2015 at 20:17

I'm guessing that's the Mon&Brec T-Rex? A nice route if a bit flat for me - get a BW Key if you haven't already, (search eBay) - gives you access to all the water points and toilet blocks on the waterways...

have fun in the USA, those yanks know how to put on a good ultra - I've really enjoyed racing across the pond. Get used to hearing "Good Jawb" and "Awesome", I find I develop a fake US accent after a few hours

30/03/2015 at 22:47
Geem do I need to adopt a Spanish one for tenerife :0!
30/03/2015 at 23:54

BecksF - don't know anything about the event you mention but your strategy sounds like it would work.  If you wanted to run it all you are asking a lot - a big jump from 21K-50K.  I expect it's been done though!

I'd concentrate on time on your feet for multiple hours, practising a pace you can maintain.

7,841 to 7,860 of 7,862 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.