wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,861 to 7,880 of 8,063 messages
31/03/2015 at 08:45

Thanks T Rex - not planning to run the whole thing, the event seems more geared towards walkers so will be confident implementing a run/walk strategy.

That was my plan for training, essentially a marathon training plan (and a bit) but with walk breaks.

02/04/2015 at 13:10

Did 30 miles on Sunday split as a half marathon in the morning and a 16 mile trail race in the afternoon (the extra mile was back to the car after the half)

Had to run rather faster in half than I wanted to, so I could make the 2nd race. Ran that relatively hard too as when my legs are knackered I just want to get it over with.

Overall 30 miles in about 4:10.

Compton 40 on Saturday which will be a very steady plod aiming for about 7:15

01/05/2015 at 21:03
Newbie checking in.

I expect to have a little less working time (working notice then maybe no work after redundancy).

Looking to take advantage and entering SBU35. I'm not totally sure whether my body can take the training yet as had fractured shoulder in Dec last year and slipped disk in Dec previous year.

Will be doing some research and following this thread for ideas now such as decent beginners training plans.
02/05/2015 at 14:27

Hi Ed68.  Sorry about your job.  That ultra looks a great event with a lot of good support for newcomers as well as a tough course.

My only experience of the area is the Lakeland 50 where I found many of the tracks were covered in large splintered rocks.  You'll need to strengthen your anlkles with plenty of offroad hillwork.  It'll be time on your feet you'll need with a small rucksack if you're going to be out for the average 8 hours.

02/05/2015 at 14:36

Enjoyed my trail race in California last month, the American River 50.  The first half was extremely mundane following tarmac or concrete cycle paths mostly, but in the second half it got very serious in the heat of the day, with CPs further apart.  It was then following an old gold prospector's trail to Aubern in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada.

The terrain was nothing like as severe as the Western States 100 which ends in Aubern coming from the other direction.

The second half was hot, dusty, rocky, and hilly, with vultures circling overhead. Fortunately no mountain lions or bears in those parts though!  Reminded me of the Loch Lomond section of the WHW but with no rain or likelihood of it!!

Finished in 11:05 which was disappointing but the last three miles were all uphill at a gradient just a bit too steep to run in my tired state by then.

02/05/2015 at 14:40

Welcome Ed68- I've never followed a plan, for any ultra-I just do as much running as I can given other commitments/ my bodies' tendency to implode with anything approaching the sorts of mileage in all thoe fancy plans. Getting out on the course for a good few recce runs has a lot to reccomend it!

Well, I survived my longest ( in terms of time, anyway) ultra so far- Highland Fling, 53 miles. Slighly scrambly technical section in the middle, plus a few hills. Took me 14 hr 26 mins, whereas the longer canal path G2E 57miler waas done in less than 12 hrs a year ago. I wasn't last!

I really enjoyed the whole thing- the build up of excitement on FB, the recce runs, and (almost all) of the day itsefl.

I had all sorts of worrying niggles before, and none at all during the race. I did get a bit nauseous / dehydrated about 10 hrs in, as it was asunny day.

Post - race , I've just been sleepy and a bit headachy all week- felt quite out of sorts until yesterday, - not able to eat properly, which was odd.

Looking for my next one to sign up to now!

Edited: 02/05/2015 at 14:41
02/05/2015 at 15:01
Thanks for the welcome Trish and T-Rex.

I generally run very easy trails, which this looks like it will be mainly. I've been carrying an inov-8 16l backpack on numerous runs carrying stuff to change into so a bit of experience, in fact almost an ultra runner already

I think I will get very excited if (when) I finally make my mind up.
03/05/2015 at 01:21

Ed68 - enter today and be excited.  That race looks awesome.

tricialitt - glad you enjoyed your day out on the WHW.  It's the section after Beinglas Farm that goes on and on (including cowmuck corner).  Difficult to believe it's only 12 miles.  I've got many happy memories of my four completions, two of which I continued on my own to Fort William.

03/05/2015 at 09:47

The SBU is a pretty straight forward route, with only 2 major climbs, Honister and Dent towards the end, with the remainder being mainly flat. By far the hardest bit of the course is the descent from Honister to Buttermere (I think).

When I ran it a few years back, the course was not marked - something to be aware of, if your nav. isn't that great - and you can spend a fair amount of time puzzling the roadbook instructions.

There are only a few sections which are tough underfoot as TRex describes, the remainder is a mix of fire road, footpath and some road.

Nice finish location at the School in St Bees and a free beer to top the day off, what more could you want? 

04/05/2015 at 14:53

I had my first foray into double day ultras this weekend at the fabulous Pony Express 60 mile race in the New Forest. Having run both Brighton and London marathon in the last 3 weeks I was unsure how my legs would cope but felt surprisingly good starting day 2. The whole experience was amazing and the XNRG team looked after us really well. Sleeping on the floor in a school hall with 100 other competitors was definitely interesting. Despite getting lost on day one I won a trophy for being 1st lady over 50. Day 1, 5:05:35 and day 2, 5:09:00. Really thankful it's a Bank Holiday today. Feeling a little fragile!!

04/05/2015 at 20:14
Ha ha - not surprised you're feeling fragile...good luck with the recovery.

I've decided not to do the SBU as my wife is working that weekend. I've changed my target to Gritstone Grind, which is slightly shorter but seems to be hillier. Ending in Disley is good though as may be easier to get friends over to see the finish and celebrate with me.
11/05/2015 at 19:44
Anyone doing the Oxford ultra (65 miles ) or the Cotswold ultra (44miles) in August through Ultra running limited ?
15/06/2015 at 21:18

Just nudging this back near the top of the page  

how's everyone doing? 

I've got NoMad 50m Ultra in just under two weeks. anyone else got a race soon.

15/06/2015 at 21:59

I'm doing St Cuthberts Way ultra, 46 miles from Wooler in Northumberland to Melrose in Scotland. Done a couple of back to back weekends and increased my mileage and everything feels surprisingly ok. Never done a race this far before so looking to come in under 12 hours with a sneaky eye on 11 hours if I have a good day

15/06/2015 at 22:19

You will do great  

i've managed to plod a couple of sub 12h 50m's, and got a bit further in a DNF. all about not starting off to fast, just take it slower than you think is right  

16/06/2015 at 08:03

I'm learning the art of walking up anything really steep and walking/gentle plodding up the gentle inclines. Running down the descents steadily rather than like a bat out of hell. That, plus I'm getting stronger with each year that I run, means that I have been finishing my long runs feeling not to bad at all. It should be good practice for me for my main race which is Hardmoors 60 in September 

16/06/2015 at 09:06

Ohh goodluck.  I keep looking at signing up for one of those hardmoors races, they look rather cool, and have a fun facebook group.

17/06/2015 at 14:10

Good luck for the Nomad 50 booktrunk. Are you feeling ready for the L100?

I finished the Fellsman in April and after a quiet May have now ramped the training up again ready for the UTPD 60 in August. I'm trying to add more structured speedwork into my training at the moment as I would like to get a bit quicker and hoping that speeding up generally will also improve my ultra plod pace!

Good luck for the St Cuthberts Way carterusm. When is it?

17/06/2015 at 14:25

No, as I screwed my knee in Jan, my training has just been whatever i can run before my knee says no-more.  The last two weeks were the first time i've really started to feel good.  The knee still aches a bit but I managed a hilly 60km in May, and have managed 40, and 42m in the last two weeks.

So if I was where I am now at the beginning of April i'd be over the moon, as it is i've managed 400m all year including 82 of them in the last two weeks.  So at least i'm now able to get into it and just see how it goes, they always say better underdone, then burnt out So i've got that going for me. 

I hope to do another 40m between now and Sunday, and then next week i'll hardly do anything and have it as a nice 5 day taper then NoMad Then it's a month to LL100 so, hope to be out running again the day after Nomad, and then keep going for two weeks and have a gentle two weeks leading up to LL100 and see how that works out.

17/06/2015 at 14:28

Sorry to hear that booktrunk. Fingers crossed for you that you have a good patch of training for a few weeks now!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.