wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,881 to 7,900 of 7,925 messages
17/06/2015 at 14:32

BT - yes, the FB group are currently discussing where to get food during the HM60. Fish and chips at whitby, ice cream at the top of whitby abbey steps (all 1999 of them) etc.

LNandB - St Cuthbert's Way is on 11 July, so 3 weeks on Saturday. It's the first rime it is being run but looks a lovely route from what I've seen when Googleing ! I've got my eye on the UTPD, but just the 30 miler as it fits in nicely between SCW and HM60. I do all of my long training runs on that route, you will get some great views if it's a clear day but the terrain can be rather technical in places. Is that your next race ?

17/06/2015 at 14:39

Hardmoors 60 looks a great distance, but it's the same weekend that I always do Ladybower 50 my first ultra and this year will be the third time i've done it it;s one 5 and 3 15m loops, and i kept forgetting to put any money in my waistbag for an ice cream, and each time i went past the ice cream van i was nearly in tears I contemplated begging or seeing if he had a paypal account so i could pay him some money via my phone, but had no signal

17/06/2015 at 15:05

I ran around Ladybower last Friday at 5am. I didn't see another person at all. Loads of wildlife, rabbits, pheasants, hares, herons, stoats, deer. It was a clear day and the reservoirs were as still as anything, apart from Howden at the far end. It was absolutely stunning. I keep meaning to enter the LB50 and one day I will. It's a great route but no ice cream van at 5:00am !

17/06/2015 at 16:33

Last year it was amazing as it was the date of the dambusters flyover, so we had old lancs, a spitfire, modern helicopters going over.  The last time the Lancs were together.

The crowds were amazing, and watching and hearing the planes overhead it was just fantastic.

18/06/2015 at 13:00

Yes, UTPD is my next race (other than a couple of marathons in the next month which I am using as training runs).

I'll be interested to hear how you find the HM60 carterusm. I am keen to do some of the Hardmoors events - I love the North York Moors and the events sound great!

22/06/2015 at 18:32

I am running my first Ultra at Endure 50 mile race (7pm till 7am) at Beale Park, Reading on 18th July. I completed my first marathon in Edinburgh in May but also recently ran 35 miles during the Endure 24 weekend, so looking forward to it.

It is a 5 mile loop so I will be able to stop for drinks/ food.

Would it be recommended to get an hydration backpack for the Ultra or rely on the drinks provided and interval stops ?

22/06/2015 at 18:58

I'd not bother on 5m laps, maybe a small waist pack or handheld bottle. Or is there a drink point at the far end Of each lap? 

22/06/2015 at 20:47

Thanks, yep I think there is drink stations and I can store drink/food at the changeover point.

23/06/2015 at 09:51

Yeah so store stuff at the start and in the later laps if there is no drinks point at half way around you might just need to carry a hand water bottle, can even just even buy a couple of 330/500 ml bottles of waters from tesco's or similar and if in the slow laps at the end you need some water just carry one of them around with you. It doesn't have to be something high tech

23/06/2015 at 13:45

Hi guys, thought I'd drop in here as a wannabe Ultra runners to get some tips! I've signed up as a solo runner for the Equinox 24 which is a 24 hour race in September. The idea being you try and run as many 6 mile laps in 24 hours. I did this as part of a small team last year and did 7 laps.

Bit of background, I've done 8 marathons, plus the above race last year. I've been averaging mid 40's for the past few weeks, with 50 miles last week so starting to increase the mileage. I did my first back to back weekend runs this weekend with 11 on Saturday & 16 on Sunday. Any tips or training programs that are good to follow? I'm looking to follow the P&D for my next marathon in April and wondered if there were parts of that which might be relevant - do you keep up speed work/tempo runs? Thanks.

02/07/2015 at 13:47

Knight rider - my main focus in training at the moment us the longer runs including some back to back weekends. I managed a 15/21 mile back to back about 3 weeks ago and last week I did a 24 mile very hill run around the Hope Valley. I will do the occasional tempo run but only one every couple of weeks maybe, I'm sure others do them more regularly but too much speed work tends to start my ITB complaining. And anyway, I'm training to run slow and long so I believe that that should be my focus for training. 

9 days until I race the St Cuthberts Way ultra; 47 miles and it will be the first time I, hopefully, achieve this distance. I've been my normal anal self and have been pouring over the route map (and Google street level) so I recognize certain parts of the route to make sure I'm on track. I've also plotted where there are some shops to buy emergency rations should I run of liquids in between aid stations because of the heat. I'm also looking to see where there are any streams close by so I can dip my feet in if it gets very warm. Am I over-thinking this and would I be better just to turn up and run ??

02/07/2015 at 13:52

No. Prep is good.  I've done the opposite and really regretted it, you get a couple of stiles next to each other and is it over the first and left at the second etc.... it's really disheartening very early on having to stop and sort out where the heck you are going. Later on you aren't going as quick etc.. but i really think get the early stuff down pat, and that makes your day less stressful.

07/07/2015 at 23:24

Thanks for the tips Carterusm, I've heard time on feet s more important than speed. Good luck with your Ultra, sounds like the planning will pay off if you are forward thinking.

08/07/2015 at 10:56

Good luck for St Cuthbert's Way carterusm.

Knight Rider - sounds as though you are well on track to where you need to be. I think that it is good to have speedwork in your programme - it is very easy to get into the habit of a lot of slow plodding which gradually gets slower and slower! However, as someone who is still relatively inexperienced (a couple of years doing marathons and ultras now), I do approach the speedwork with caution. If I feel I am getting a bit niggly then I will drop the speedwork for a bit to make sure that I can keep the high (ish) mileage up.

At the moment I am actually doing some P&D type sessions (both VO2 max and lactate threshold) as part of my training plan for my next ultra, as I am hoping that these will help to increase my basic cruising speed a bit - we shall see!

08/07/2015 at 12:05

Hi Carterusm- I'm currently staying in the borders- Selkirk, so just a short distance from your race finish. If I didn't have to go back to work tomorrow, I'd have been seriously tempted to enter the race!

It's been a wee bit damp here, so the trails are wet in places- I was out over the southern uplands path yesterday, and there are bits where you might well get very soggy feet.

Spare socks, and wear gaiters if you have them, would be my advice.

I'm jealous!

KR- I agree with LN&B- the very occaisional tempo run , or 800m interval session does break up the inexorable ploddage, but I only do 1 per week max, and the rest of the time is slow running to try to get the mileage/ time on feet to the max.

Not that I'm an expert!

08/07/2015 at 12:12

KR/ LNandB - thanks.

Tricialitt - thanks for the heads up. Would you recommend insect repellent ? I hear that Scotland has it's fair share of midges !

08/07/2015 at 13:15

If you are running fast enough to leave them behind, you might be OK, but yes, otherwise it can be nasty if it's a still, muggy day.

The forecast for midgies in that area is not bad at all for the weekend, it's mostly on the west coast/ glenncoe area that it gets bad.

If you have some stuff, I'd certainly take it along, but despite being a total magnet to these beasties, I've no bites from my 2 days running ( and only 1 tick on my leg, which I found before it did any harm!).

08/07/2015 at 15:23

Nice one. Something else to buy and carry them !

08/07/2015 at 23:23

LNandB & tricialitt, I like the idea of keeping the speed up and at least 1 tempo run a week should be good for that, thanks.

10/07/2015 at 14:04

Hi All,

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, picking up valuable tips for my first Ultra - the Ultimate Trails 110K in the Lakes a couple of weekends ago.  So firstly thanks for all the good advice that is on here.

Secondly I really thought that my foray into Ultra running was going to be a one-off - but I enjoyed it so much I'm already looking for the next one.  Having stepped up from marathons I already feel like I'm breaking all the "rules" about mileage and recovery, so I'm struggling to work out what is sensible and what isn't.

I've got my eye on the Grand Tour of Skiddaw at the end of August:

http://www.pureoutdoorsevents.co.uk/index.php/the-grand-tour-of-skiddaw

Is this too soon for another long race or is 2 months suffient recovery time?  I've recovered pretty quickly from the Ultimate Trails, so feel OK to carry on, but don't know if there might be some hidden damage that I should be careful of.

7,881 to 7,900 of 7,925 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.