wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,881 to 7,890 of 7,890 messages
17/06/2015 at 14:32

BT - yes, the FB group are currently discussing where to get food during the HM60. Fish and chips at whitby, ice cream at the top of whitby abbey steps (all 1999 of them) etc.

LNandB - St Cuthbert's Way is on 11 July, so 3 weeks on Saturday. It's the first rime it is being run but looks a lovely route from what I've seen when Googleing ! I've got my eye on the UTPD, but just the 30 miler as it fits in nicely between SCW and HM60. I do all of my long training runs on that route, you will get some great views if it's a clear day but the terrain can be rather technical in places. Is that your next race ?

17/06/2015 at 14:39

Hardmoors 60 looks a great distance, but it's the same weekend that I always do Ladybower 50 my first ultra and this year will be the third time i've done it it;s one 5 and 3 15m loops, and i kept forgetting to put any money in my waistbag for an ice cream, and each time i went past the ice cream van i was nearly in tears I contemplated begging or seeing if he had a paypal account so i could pay him some money via my phone, but had no signal

17/06/2015 at 15:05

I ran around Ladybower last Friday at 5am. I didn't see another person at all. Loads of wildlife, rabbits, pheasants, hares, herons, stoats, deer. It was a clear day and the reservoirs were as still as anything, apart from Howden at the far end. It was absolutely stunning. I keep meaning to enter the LB50 and one day I will. It's a great route but no ice cream van at 5:00am !

17/06/2015 at 16:33

Last year it was amazing as it was the date of the dambusters flyover, so we had old lancs, a spitfire, modern helicopters going over.  The last time the Lancs were together.

The crowds were amazing, and watching and hearing the planes overhead it was just fantastic.

18/06/2015 at 13:00

Yes, UTPD is my next race (other than a couple of marathons in the next month which I am using as training runs).

I'll be interested to hear how you find the HM60 carterusm. I am keen to do some of the Hardmoors events - I love the North York Moors and the events sound great!

22/06/2015 at 18:32

I am running my first Ultra at Endure 50 mile race (7pm till 7am) at Beale Park, Reading on 18th July. I completed my first marathon in Edinburgh in May but also recently ran 35 miles during the Endure 24 weekend, so looking forward to it.

It is a 5 mile loop so I will be able to stop for drinks/ food.

Would it be recommended to get an hydration backpack for the Ultra or rely on the drinks provided and interval stops ?

22/06/2015 at 18:58

I'd not bother on 5m laps, maybe a small waist pack or handheld bottle. Or is there a drink point at the far end Of each lap? 

22/06/2015 at 20:47

Thanks, yep I think there is drink stations and I can store drink/food at the changeover point.

23/06/2015 at 09:51

Yeah so store stuff at the start and in the later laps if there is no drinks point at half way around you might just need to carry a hand water bottle, can even just even buy a couple of 330/500 ml bottles of waters from tesco's or similar and if in the slow laps at the end you need some water just carry one of them around with you. It doesn't have to be something high tech

23/06/2015 at 13:45

Hi guys, thought I'd drop in here as a wannabe Ultra runners to get some tips! I've signed up as a solo runner for the Equinox 24 which is a 24 hour race in September. The idea being you try and run as many 6 mile laps in 24 hours. I did this as part of a small team last year and did 7 laps.

Bit of background, I've done 8 marathons, plus the above race last year. I've been averaging mid 40's for the past few weeks, with 50 miles last week so starting to increase the mileage. I did my first back to back weekend runs this weekend with 11 on Saturday & 16 on Sunday. Any tips or training programs that are good to follow? I'm looking to follow the P&D for my next marathon in April and wondered if there were parts of that which might be relevant - do you keep up speed work/tempo runs? Thanks.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7,881 to 7,890 of 7,890 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.