wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,901 to 7,920 of 8,295 messages
26/04/2014 at 08:02

Worth looking at the Gritstone Grind?  It's marketing itself as an ideal beginners event.

26/04/2014 at 08:41

A 30m sounds a good start and you can use your marathon training DA. 

IT's only another 6k on the end of a marathon, and if you take a minute or so a mile of your marathon pace, and walk the hills it will feel totally different  

oh and if you feel tired just stick a quick marched km or half a km in every few miles,breaks things up, and gets you a bit of life back in the legs so much more relaxed than 'running'  a marathon

Edited: 26/04/2014 at 08:55
26/04/2014 at 09:53

thanks Booktrunk, I think thats the best plan, start with the 30 miler, and work up to the 45!

I'll investigate the Gritsone Grind as suggested ( just checked it out, looks good, although NO MEDAL!!!! (  )

Strangely the idea of running cross country alone, in solitude ( as i'll be at the back of the pack ) is more appealing than the hugely crowded / screaming spectator filled marathons.... is it just me who actually isn't that keen on deafening shouting from the crowds for 26 miles....? Or am i just a grumpy old git?

My injury was a strained calf muscle so nothing major, although it hadn't healed properly and on the marathon, i was over compensating which led to muscles in the thigh, foot all being overused and very very stiff, this actually happened on mile 15 and made the remainder very painful, even with me stretching out every 3 or 4 miles after.....

Just went out for my first run after the marathon, and managed an 6 mile, 54 mins, so not hugely quick, but felt good to be out again!

Edited: 26/04/2014 at 09:57
26/04/2014 at 10:43

"Strangely the idea of running cross country alone, in solitude ( as i'll be at the back of the pack ) is more appealing than the hugely crowded / screaming spectator filled marathons...."

Your in very good company with that

I would suggest spending as much time off road as you can manage. One thing you will notice is that unlike 'most' road running, you will use ALL your lower leg muscles, and the ones that help your foot move side to side on rough ground are not that big, probably havent been used much, and will take a while to get used to rough ground running. This is all about time on your feet, adapting all your muscles to working a little differently and keeping going for many hours at a time, running , walking, climbing hills,  descending them, this time on your feet thing will gradually pay off.

Try not to worry about speed now, it is no where near as important as getting the distance done. Believe me, if you finish a 50 miler inside the cut off time, you will have a smile on your face that will last a long time and you wont care if you 'only did 12mm' when you feel you should/could have done 10mm.

26/04/2014 at 10:53

Dank-art: theres a 50km run in Salisbury on 10th August you might consider doing? Its called Salisbury 54321

26/04/2014 at 11:58

Scott I was just about to suggest that one as well. I did it last year and really enjoyed it and was a fantastic first ultra for me. Lovely route, so much to see and it feels a bit like a scavenger hunt as you tick off each of the items that make up the name. 

That would give you 3 months to get comfortable with the terrain and be recovered and ready.

26/04/2014 at 12:08

Yeah from some blogs I have read all of them seem to say its a nice route and also support along the way is good with regular markers making it very hard to get lost. Considering doing this as my first ultra before the Thames Path Challenge in September

26/04/2014 at 13:45

that sounds and looks quite good, only worry is I am in Ibiza on the 7th doing some live art for a club, so potential loss of some trianing time and then returning from Ibiza and straight into an ultra....may be achievable.... does look interesting though and possibly an ideal first ultra, and there's a nice medal!!!

26/04/2014 at 13:57

Might see you there if you decide to do it

26/04/2014 at 18:10

Actually, that's perfect.  You'd be tapering by then, and at least you'll have something to distract you!

26/04/2014 at 19:56

Sorry to dominate this thread!

so, I have three months, so 12 weeks , Could so could someone suggest a suitable training plan in order to do this ultra in August, 

how many weeks tapering would I need, 3 as per my marathon plan? The last week I'd be away but could do some light runs in Ibiza, heat maybe an issue though!

Thanks for everyone's help and advice

26/04/2014 at 20:07

As its only a few miles more than a marathon you would get away with just following a marathon plan maybe just add in an extra 20miler+, maybe follow the P&D 12 week plan? 

26/04/2014 at 20:18

Yeah and if you are worried make the LSR 20Milers into LSR23

Edited: 26/04/2014 at 20:19
26/04/2014 at 20:38

Well, as you have now moved towards the dark side, here is some good reading for you http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/training/index.html

As for a training schedule, I used a modified version of this http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-50m.asp for the SDW50, altered to suit my training days, which are 5 days a week. If that doesn't suit you, take the general idea and adapt it to your own time/training schedule. Do try and work in the back to back long runs, but maybe start with a shorter one, say 15/10 and see how you get on.

26/04/2014 at 20:40

People usually over think their first ultra. 

The easier ultras are not actually that hard, if your only objective is to finish inside the cut-offs. 

Just get yourself into the best condition you can, then turn up and have a go. 

26/04/2014 at 20:48

Ben is right.

my first was a 50m and hadn't ever been over a marathon, and managed to get around with an hour to spare just don't go to fast to early. 

26/04/2014 at 21:08

Great advice, and yes I am turning to the dark side

26/04/2014 at 21:11

Come to the dark side.  We have cookies.

26/04/2014 at 21:21

....and cake

26/04/2014 at 21:22

Sounds great, although I hear the dark side also has hills, trails and pain in abundance

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.