wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,901 to 7,920 of 8,063 messages
10/07/2015 at 23:01

You should probably take a week off completely, then another couple very easy, after that, you'll find that you residual fitness allows you to pick up fairly fast to longer runs- but watch for niggles, which might mean more rest needed.

Good luck, Enjoy!

11/07/2015 at 16:48

Joanna, length of time for recovery is really variable between individuals at ultra lengths. See how you feel, is my advice - your body will let you know what it can and can't cope with. Once you start running marathon distance and longer on training runs, and start finding out about people who run a marathon every weekend, the advice about length of time needed to recover from a marathon begins to look a bit silly - except that it's designed for people who have trained for that one race and put their all into it.

Really envious of you all at the moment as I sit on the sofa with my broken ankle up on pillows, frustrated that I couldn't run the Croydon Ultra last weekend (was going to be my first one back after my tendon injury) and of course I won't be doing Ladybower 50 in September, which I'd planned to do. ARGGH!

13/07/2015 at 19:35

thanks Tricialitt and Debra - and hope your ankle heals swiftly Debra.

13/07/2015 at 21:34

Joanna - well done on your first ultra and enjoy any future races. 

Debra - sorry to hear about your latest injury, very frustrating. 

Tricialatt - thanks for the advice about the insect repellent, it worked a treat. 

St Cuthberts Way ultra for me on Saturday. A stunning route with a great friendly feel to the race. The marshals were fantastic and without them telling me how good I looked, even though I felt like dog shit, I doubt if I would have finished. I felt pretty good for the first 30 miles then the old ITB issues reappeared forcing me to walk in the last 5 miles. Finished in 12 hours 11 mins so chuffed just to finish, a bit disappointed not to get under 12 and wondering what might have been if my knee was ok. Finished 5th overall and 3rd male so my first bit of bling. Would definitely recommend this race

13/07/2015 at 21:47

carterusm, well done! Sympathies for the ITB problem.

13/07/2015 at 22:27

Wow, Carterusm- a gong! That's great going.

Weird how a bunch of complete strangers at a check point can transform you from imminent collapse to "raring to go", just by being incesantly positive, and telling you how great you look ( even when it's blatantly untrue).

16/07/2015 at 14:18

Well done Carterusm - great going.

Debra - sorry to hear you have another injury. You are not being very lucky.

I've had some great training in the last few days - been up to recce some of the Ultra Tour of the Peak District. I covered about 35 of the 60 miles and had a brilliant time. It is a lovely course and I'm really looking forward to doing it. A last training marathon for me this weekend and then I will be starting to wind down.

How is everyone else's training going?

17/07/2015 at 19:36
Evening all .. Just checking the thread is still alive
Training been going ok for me , did Cheltenham challenge marathon 3 weeks ago & race to the stones 100k on Saturday ????
Great event with good atmosphere
17/07/2015 at 19:37
Well done carterusm ! Hope the niggles sort themselves out
17/07/2015 at 20:25

It's still hanging in there LLB, although a lot quieter than it used to be! How did you get on with your 100 miler?

17/07/2015 at 20:33
Training been going ok for me , did Cheltenham challenge marathon 3 weeks ago & race to the stones 100k on Saturday ????
17/07/2015 at 20:37
had to make decision not to do 100 miler in May as I really hadn't had the time at start of year to do enough prep . Was meant to do a 50k lady Saturday but was offered a friends place at race to the stones 100k so took the transfer to that a week before the event - eek!
Just saw it as good opportunity to do another bit further
100 miles will be another time - going to do the centurion grand slam for 2016s focus
17/07/2015 at 22:52
20/07/2015 at 08:08

Morning. I went out for my first post race run at the weekend.  A very sedate 2.5 miles around the park with no reaction to the knee. A couple of short, easy runs this week and I will be taking my trotters with me when I go on holiday next week.

Debra - how long are you likely to be out of action with your ankle ?

Tricialitt - god bless all marshals I say !! Have you got a race coming up ?

LNandB - glad to hear the training is going well. It's great route you will be racing on and if the weather is nice there will be plenty of stunning views. How are you finding runny on the rocky terrain ?

Loulabell - how did you get on at race to the stones ? 

20/07/2015 at 10:38

Sorry to hear that LLB, but sounds like a sensible decision. That is quite a challenge you will be taking on with the Grand Slam!

carterusm - didn't find the rocks too bad to be honest. It is a lot less rocky than the Lakeland 50 and also there is a lot of lovely spongy moorland and grass interspersed with the rocky bits to give some respite!

20/07/2015 at 12:09

Carterusm- I've got a hilly trail marathon next weekend ( Fort William- first time this race has been held).

14 weeks later I've got Glen Ogle- a 33 mile race- fairly hilly in bits, too. Nothing planned after that.

I'm tapering now for next weekend, so this is the time  to sort out my plan for the next one. I won't get out on the course itself, as it's a bit far to drive for a recce, but I've learned my lessons and will try to get out onto as much hilly trail as I can.

22/07/2015 at 23:04

My next ultra is Race to the Castle Aberdovey to Harlech on 22 August.  Anyone else doing that one?

Both my achilles tendons are sore at the moment - they seem to be getting aggravated by whichever pair of running shoes I am wearing.  Not sure what's going on.

23/07/2015 at 15:47

carterusm: One more week to the six-week post-op x-rays and assessment (which will be seven weeks after the fracture). IF the pics indicate the fracture has healed well, then I'll be allowed to start the rehab. That will be at least a further six weeks before I can think about starting running again - call it mid-September - and then I'll have to work up the distances... again.

I so want to get back out on the trails and running decent long runs. I lover my club's summertime Sunday runs with lots of woodland trails, and I was looking forwards to going out on training runs on the Vanguard Way and NDW and...

27/07/2015 at 13:17

May I join you? I am running my first ultra on the 12th of September - an unofficial solo run of about 85km (50 ish miles). I did the first of two 42km runs yesterday, have one planned for next weekend, then a low volume week followed by two 45km runs.

I have run 11 marathons but never an ultra so now it's time....

29/07/2015 at 17:48
Well I'm up to 10 k ..........it's a start. Seriously I would love to do one . Working on my endurance one step at a time
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.