wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,921 to 7,940 of 8,063 messages
29/07/2015 at 18:27

planing to hit 50K for my first Ultra in February. Any advice?

29/07/2015 at 23:57

SP13 - interesting - that's quite a long way for a first one.  I wouldn't do too many very long runs in the build up. I'd make your last one no more than 30-32 miles three weeks before and taper drastically.  Hope it leads you to entering some ultra events. You cannot beat the camaraderie at these and of course being able to have an ultra on your race cv.

What race is that, 00D?

30/07/2015 at 07:29

T Rex, I have a DNF from a few years ago on an official 50km ultra that has been haunting me. I wanted to run this on my own to prove that I can. I originally said that I would only run one marathon and here I am 11 marathons later. Who knows - maybe the same will happen with ultras! 

Wouldn't you advise too many very long runs? Does my plan seem too much?  

30/07/2015 at 08:06

It's a 50k around a local forest in February, TRex - almost four months after my next marathon, so instead of my usual post-marathon lol on the couch for a month, I want to keep up my trainig for it. Just not sure what's the best plan?

30/07/2015 at 09:45

Entered for my first Ultra next April - Vale Coastal Ultra 32 miler so roughly 50K. Probably qualifies as reasonably flat in the Ultra world although there are a couple of inclines towards the end. Seems quite beginner friendly with a very generous time limit.

Training for Snowdon marathon in October so like DoubleOhDave it'll probably be a case of keeping the mileage up for the 5 months in between. Looked at a couple of training plans which seem a little bit scary. My aim (as I'm sure it is for 99.9% of first time Ultra runners) is to just get round.

30/07/2015 at 23:19

Welcome to all the new guys. For a 50k ultra, a marathon programme, with slightly longer LSR's will be fine, concentrating on getting used to taking walk breaks, and eating on the move.A lot of the trainig programmes I've looked at seem crazy- I never go much over 35 miles per week, and I've done quite a few 32- 42 milers, plus 3 runs of over 50 miles. OK, so I'm a back of packer, but I've only DNF'd once, and that was due to ridiculously hot weather on the day.

Remember to take at least 1-2 weeks recovery time of low mileage before carrying on through to the ultra trainig, if you've raced the marathon- different if you've just used it as a "time on feet" very long slow run, where you don't need to recover specifically.

31/07/2015 at 10:23
tricialitt wrote (see)

Welcome to all the new guys. .

Remember to take at least 1-2 weeks recovery time of low mileage before carrying on through to the ultra trainig, if you've raced the marathon- different if you've just used it as a "time on feet" very long slow run, where you don't need to recover specifically.

Thanks Tricia, and I will be racing the marathon (against myself obviously) so will make sure I put the low mileage in. I have crewed at Ultra events and have seen the amount of walking breaks there are, so it's a good point not to be foolish and make sure to add walks into the program - which actually makes it more fun I think. I hadn't thought of adding walk breaks into actual training but now I can see how that would work. I could run to the next village, walk a bit towards the next one, then run and so on and so forth and take in a few villages in a day - that would be exciting!

31/07/2015 at 10:37

I have been training the 5:1 run/walk ratio on my long runs and it took me a while to get used to the stop/go. The first time I tried it, my legs cramped so much I thought they were going to fall off. But practise has helped and on my 42km run last Sunday it went fine. I use the walk breaks to hydrate and have been practising eating musli bars then too.

I was surprised that even with my walk breaks I have an average pace of 6:30 per km, not fast by most people's standards I am sure but I was very pleasantly surprised.

31/07/2015 at 10:51

Sounds great SP13, so how often do you do 42km runs?

31/07/2015 at 10:56

I ran 42 last weekend for the first time in this training (have completed 11 marathons up to last year) and will be running 42 again on Sunday. Then I have a week with low km followed by 2 weekends with 45 km before tapering.

31/07/2015 at 13:38

Tempted to sign up for a marathon to do one of my 42K training runs. Can't imagine doing that sort of distance and it not officially counting towards how many marathons I've done. I am a bit event / race obsessed though. Would have to make sure I didn't get carried away and just plod round.

31/07/2015 at 13:43

I was worried about running the distance on my own too - my other runs of that distance have been marathons in large cities. But actually I have to say that I really enjoyed it. The pace was slow and there was no-one to compete against. Just me and an awful lot of trees. I was (almost) moved by the whole thing. There is time to think and to let the world go.

31/07/2015 at 16:29

Find a trail marathon , if you can, or pace a slow beginner round, then you'll get a good "time on feet" run. I've done 3 marathons this year, and they've all been hilly, run slow with a backpack on, aiming for about 30 mins slower than "raced" marathon time.

It's quite sociable with the ultra guys at the back!

06/08/2015 at 07:48

anyone doing Salisbury 54321 on Sunday? My second time, it's a superb 50k baby ultra!

Watch out for the giant hogsweed though, caused some nasty burns last year...

07/08/2015 at 12:26

Feeling pretty nervous - tomorrow's training run is 45km and I have never run further than a marathon before. I have serious butterflies in my tummy! 

08/08/2015 at 15:52

Hope it went/ goes OK, SP13- just take it slow, and if you need the odd walk break, that's fine- you'll be stopping at checkpoints anyway during the race.

Good luck on sunday Dank-art.

I'm just starting trainig for my next one- Glen Ogle, in novemenber, supposed to be 33 miles , but I think it was more like 31 ! Anyway, I'm recovering from a recent trail/ hilly marathon, and am back up to 8miles or so today.

10/08/2015 at 07:40

Hi Tricialitt

Thanks for your message. To be honest, I had a terrible run. I think I ticked the box of everything I shouldn't have done. It was an unexpectedly hot day and my route offered no shade at all. I wore sunglasses but didn't wear a hat. I started off a bit too fast (normal marathon training speed), waited too long before starting to drink, waited too long before taking my first gel, got very thirsty, drank too much at once. I ended up being sick at about 30km. I pulled myself together enough to get running again but ran out of water at 36km. I felt awful but could have continued if I had had water. I was out in the middle of nowhere so I couldn't buy or borrow water, so I stopped at 36km. What a disaster.

If I am positive, I learnt a lot of valuable lessons about preparation, hydration, refuelling, pace, setting out too fast, giving up too easily. I also learnt that I can carry on after being sick.

If I am negative, I think that there is a long way from 36km to 85. My longest training run so far is still the 42km I ran two weeks ago. I am worried that I am just not going to be ready?

Any advice warmly appreciated here - am I kidding myself or am I earning valuable lessons? Can I be ready in time?

10/08/2015 at 07:55

Superb 50km ultra in Salisbury yesterday, manages a strong completion, 6:23 which i am happy with, 37 mins quicker than last year! Salisbury 54321 is such a great event, very very well organised, marked and marshalled and with amazing scenery and the Camaraderie and friendly chatting when running, its a joy to run! will be back for my 3rd time next year!

Thats my 7th marathon or greater distance ran this year, marathon 8 set for September!

10/08/2015 at 14:05

Well done Dank-art.

SP13 - don't worry too much, those are big distances to be doing on your own in training. I rarely go over about 20-22 miles on my own, but will do some low key trail marathons and 50kms as training runs for bigger ultras. It means you have a bit more motivation, the help of some company in bad patches and all those logistical issues have been thought about by someone else, so a big help when you are just learning about what you may need!

It is a big jump up in mileage to the race, but that is fairly common for ultras. You just can't run those distances week in week out, so most people will very rarely go close to their race distance in training. Are you following a particular training plan? I don't personally, but I do read a lot of them and harness their ideas to put my own together.

10/08/2015 at 14:23

Thanks LNandB. Your words are very comforting. I have based my training on several training plans (ultraladies, werunfar, etc) but have tweaked it a little to fit into my life. Maybe I should be pleased that I learnt my lessons on my training run and not on the day. I may have read that you should start slow and have plenty of fluids - but running out of water and realising I had paced wrongly were real lessons.

I will keep the faith and keep on training.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.