wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,921 to 7,940 of 8,331 messages
27/04/2014 at 07:27

yep

27/04/2014 at 09:44

now it's the tricky part of finding the right training plan.... just found two that are wildly different, if i stick to a marathon 12 week / intermediate plan is that going to cut the mustard?

Also, i need to get new running shoes to handle trail / road running?

currently wearing Nike Air Icarus+

27/04/2014 at 09:50

Talking about plans.... 

http://running.competitor.com/files/2012/11/46_nat_r1.pdf

for a 50k this looks interesting 

regarding shoes, in the summer, /autumn unless very technical lots and lots of big or little stones, I tend to use normal road shoes, mine are reasonably well cushioned, only really find the need for trail shoes when it's mountainous, or lots of mud, as they have a lot deeper lugs for grip, and usually have a curled up little but of plastic at the front for a but if protection if you stub your toes On a rock. So I have salomon speedcross 3 but they hardly get used between now and September/October and I'll be mainly using my normal ASICS road shoes. 

Oh the plan, if you are actually coming off the back of a marsthon is probably a bit lightweight, maybe look at the heavy six week section of your current plan and do that with the final two week taper from the plan, if it gets you through a marathon it will probably get you around 50k just throw in the odd extra mile or two in if you want.

Edited: 27/04/2014 at 09:59
27/04/2014 at 10:05

Have you used that plan before book trunk, just took a look at it and I like the look of it might consider following that roughly when I eventually decide what I'm doing.

27/04/2014 at 10:50

No, just found it whilst trawling around the net but it caught my attention, as random plans go it looks pretty interesting for a first ultra. 

27/04/2014 at 10:54

Yeah it looks a good one, certainly a good find

27/04/2014 at 12:10

I'm always very impressed with people who manage to stick to training plans.  I try, but then I can't be arsed, or I go away for the weekend somewhere with good hills to stomp up and down (so do much more than the plan) or head to London for work (and do much less).  Or I have a shitty day at work, so decide I need to do a long, hard run right now, and the plan be damned.  

Dank-art, obviously you need to train.  But, more than that, you need to learn what works for you - shoes, socks, food, drink, electrolytes, where you chafe and where you don't.  Ultras are much more an exercise in logistics than normal running is.  So I reckon getting out, time on your feet, enjoying the countryside is as good prep as anything.  

And cake.  Obviously cake.  

27/04/2014 at 18:21

so I have entered the Salisbury 54321 50km, looks really good, great reports and the scenery looks great and the terrain not too bad, looking forward to it.

like to try and stick to some training plan, maybe just a total weekly mileage and then fit that in howeever possible....I have a few times I am away and training will be hard up to August 10, hopefully my marathon fitmess will carry through! 

Now to get my mindset back into running and get back out there, first training run tomorrow, )

27/04/2014 at 18:47

Well done Dank-art, gives you something to train towards now Good luck on your first training run tomorrow

27/04/2014 at 18:59

Nice one Dank keep us informed how things are going!

27/04/2014 at 19:01

Thanks guys, will keep updating how it goes!

27/04/2014 at 19:33

Dank: go for it. My first ultra was the Comrades last year. I went from marathon distance to this one and it can be done. Hard work and dedication is what it takes. I basically kept my Mon - Fri the same and just pushed the Sun run longer and longer. I am now aiming for my 2nd later this year the Stour Valley Ultra. So the danger is this! Once you've done one you will want to do another!

27/04/2014 at 19:43

I'll be doing around 16/18 miles in the week and then long runs at the weekend, with 2/3 weeks tapering, looks like I'll have 12 full weeks to train, so I am guessing I need to start my first long run at 14 miles, then add a mile each weekend, this is how I trained for the London marathon, guessing i should be doing minimum of 30 miles totals per week, I am wondering are the back to back runs vital? The training plan mentioned previously has the long runs on sat, followed by 1.5 hr run every Sunday, not sure I'll be able to fit that into my already busy week! what's a decent walk run breakdown for a 50k? Run 4 walk 1? 

27/04/2014 at 19:59

It's tricky because what works for some does not work for others. I could never do B2B long runs on consecutive days, Sat is always a rest day for me. Trial and error proved that for me. You just need to listen to your body and take it slow. On paper yes just increase long run every week but maybe have a reduction every third week to allow for recovery. For eg: 14, 15, 12, 16, 18, 12, 20, 22, 12, 24, 26, 12, etc etc. my programme kind of follows that pattern except the mileage is different, but you get my drift. 

27/04/2014 at 20:01

For me, the back to backs really helped, not only with distance, but learning to run on already tired legs. I learnt a pace that I could manage when tired, without overdoing it. They started at 16/8 and for me went up to 28/12 and 12/30 for the last two. There were days when I really didnt want to do the second, as I was knackered but they were the ones that I think I got most out of. After the 12/30 I no longer had the worry that I was taking on too much The 30 part was over part of the SDW course too which helped. And there was beer at the end of it ... That also helped 

As far as fitting them in, I always do my main LSR on Fridays, with the second on Saturday morning, as I can scive off work a bit early, or run late into the evening.

I also did 2 hard week, 1 easy week rotation.

Safer: see you at SVP, Peronel is doing that one too really looking forward to it!

Edited: 27/04/2014 at 20:03
27/04/2014 at 20:06

Dank-art: while I would love to be able to do back to back runs, with 2 young children (3 and 1) there is absolutely no way I could fit that in! I think you'll find that there are lots of people out there who are managing to do ultras (especially at the shorter distances) without being able to commit to massive mileage or back to backs.

I fit in what I can. For my first ultra (35 miles), my weekly mileage was not very high (mid-30s), but I did a lot of 20 mile LSRs, practising nutrition and admin on the go.

I'm gradually building my mileage up ready for Lakeland 50 at end of July, but even then I will be peaking with a few weeks at 50+, with most weeks more like 35-40.

You have to look at what others are doing, but then adapt it to your own lifestyle, as well as being careful to avoid injury. Far better to manage consistent training at 30 miles a week for the sustainable future than to knock out a couple of big weeks and then pick up an injury.

I was initially daunted by the amount of mileage I was reading about for ultras, but have noticed that people seem to be doing everything from 20 miles/week to 100+ and still achieving their personal goals.

I would also not obsess too much about the run/walk for a 50km. It's not massively further than marathon distance and if you back off your marathon pace a bit and have a little walk to eat when you feel like it, then I expect you will be surprised by how much extra you have in the tank!

27/04/2014 at 20:30

Cheesy: yep looking forward to it as well. I saw Peronel had commented on the SVP thread. 

27/04/2014 at 23:34

Ill see you at salisbury dank-art. 

I would suggest that for your long runs instead of saying 'Im going to go for x miles' that just finding trails and routes you like and going out for time instead may work better. It feels easier if you enjoy where your running and different routes will take longer to complete depending on the terrain so a 16 one day may take an hour longer than the previous week.

Obviously the long runs are your main training runs for an ultra but if your already used to doing some speed work from the marathon training then I would defiantly keep one session. Its good to keep things mixed up to keep you looking forwards to different runs and they really help to toughen up your legs. It was the one thing I changed between my last two 50 milers and I found my legs were still feeling fresh towards the end even if I wasn't.

Good luck with your training and remember its all learning.

28/04/2014 at 09:17

Talking of back-to-backs I did the Bath Beat 26.5 and the Pewsey Downsaround 35 last weekend. Both LDWA events around £8 each with checkpoints stocked with "proper food" - well, pizza, cake, sausage rolls etc 

There were quite a few people "doubling it", brilliant events with some amazing scenery and quite a lot of mud - can't recommend the LDWA events highly enough for training... 

LDWA Challenge Events

28/04/2014 at 12:57

I can't believe I haven't come across this forum page before.

Great advice reading back thorugh the pages.

Like SAFER Comrades last year was my first Ultra and I'd stepped up straight from a Spring Marathon training plan and only had time to increase my weekend long runs. I didn;t have time for any B2Bs either. It was a huge struggle but I completed it.

I've entered a 100k in September along the Thames so this time I'd like to train better for it. I'm also planning on running the Salisbury 54321 as well.

One thing that has seemed daunting, is the amount of 'essential' pieces of kit that are listed. I was expecting to be able to get by just with my Camelbak. Even though this has a few compartments, I'm not so sure now it'll be big enough. What do others normally use, especially if having to carry a jacket of some kind? Hopefully the weather will still be warm come September.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.