wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,941 to 7,960 of 8,295 messages
28/04/2014 at 13:10

Shady_Ady - I'm looking at the Thames one myself, but I have the London to Brighton at the end of May, which is going to be a test. 

Looking forward to the hot meal!

28/04/2014 at 14:36

I haven't even started to ask about kit yet, 

assumed that a 31 mile ultra, i'd only need a belt for gels, and maybe a small backpack for water / rain jacket...?

28/04/2014 at 15:05

Has anyone any experience of the NOMAD 50 - previously called the LERC 50? 

28/04/2014 at 16:21

Dank-art: check what the compulsory kit is for your intended race - for some of them, particularly trail races, it's quite extensive. I used a 5 litre pack with a 1 litre bladder for my first 50K, changing to a 10-litre pack with 2 litre bladder for my 50-milers.

And if you look at the kit list and wonder why you need it all, read the SDW50 thread for 2013 and some of the race reports/blog entries for that - mine is at http://runningape.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/sdw50-wet-and-windy/ but the TL/DR version is: when the weather gets bad, you really NEED waterproofs etc.

Even on a 31 miler or less you can get hypothermic in sufficiently bad weather (Greater Manchester Marathon 2012, for example).

28/04/2014 at 17:29
Dank-Art, you don't really need any kit for the Salisbury one. I've done it the last 3 years and just take some gels as there is water every few miles.
28/04/2014 at 19:13

Do The Spine or the baby challenger   I think my bank manager isn't speaking to me. 

it must be a boon for ultra shops  

Edited: 28/04/2014 at 19:14
28/04/2014 at 20:24

LNandB - you could be repeating my words exactly!!! My kids are older than yours now (7 & 9) but I just do not have the time to do the sort of training others do so like you make do with as many 20ish milers I can. If I have something very long on the agenda, like when I did the SDW100 the other year, I managed to get a 50 mile race in as a long training run, b2bs though ... ha ha!!

29/04/2014 at 06:47
Oh good that is encouraging I have a 50 and 100m coming up with little more than marathon training!!! ????
29/04/2014 at 09:56

I'm liking these posts...

Edited: 29/04/2014 at 09:56
29/04/2014 at 09:59
ladyfunrun wrote (see)

Has anyone any experience of the NOMAD 50 - previously called the LERC 50? 

I have a friend that used to run for LERC and she has said it's a lovely race - I think this might be my first Ultra! 

1 month after a marathon will be okay wont it? 

29/04/2014 at 10:52

I guess it depends on how hard you run the Marathon, PB sort of levels historically everyone says a day of rest (as in not hard running) per mile.  So 4 weeks is about the  recovery point, but in that last 4 weeks you might be wanting to do some decent mileage for the the first two weeks of that, which are just after your marathon.

So you cannot do the normal run a marathon then relax for a week or two before getting back into running, as you will then be out of time really. 

But for a 50 I think marathon training is fine just treat the two weeks after the marathon as core marathon training weeks as opposed to relaxed weeks.

29/04/2014 at 11:41

Thanks BT - If I bin the speed work in between the two and concentrate on a couple of steady doubles I'd like to hope that would get me round?

Do you need a taper for an ultra like you would a Marathon? 

29/04/2014 at 12:40

Not in the same way, I still do taper, but to me it's more just going slower and making sure I feel fresh  

29/04/2014 at 18:58

My first dip into an ultra was a 30-miler (Marlborough Challenge - really recommend that as an intro race, is fab - hilly but very scenic). Anyway, it was about four weeks after I did a road marathon. I basically did very little between the two events, and certainly no especially long runs, think I may have done a 10-miler perhaps, and I was absolutely fine. I appreciate that 50 is longer than 30 but you should be fine.

Touie - my first 100-miler was the SDW race back in June 2012. I did the Highland Fling in the April so I did get a 53 under my belt, but I then did absolutely zero running or anything else for five weeks after that as I had a big asthma issue ... so that took me to about 5 weeks before the 100-miler, I think I got in 2 x 22 milers in and then did the 100-miler, and whilst I didn't finish in under 24 hours, I think my 26.50 or thereabouts was quite respectable!  As we know, so much of these longer events is about pacing and mind over body.

I rarely do a proper taper, but that is because my training is so hit and miss that there isn't always a lot to taper down from!!

29/04/2014 at 18:59

I found one of the hardest things was really slowing the pace down on long runs so they really were long slow runs.  I don't find that a problem now, any excuse for snails pace and a walk up a hill!!

30/04/2014 at 08:14

I did my first 'proper' run last night which is 3 weeks after my first marathon in Manchester. The run was a recce of the first few miles of the Tour of the Peak District, my 10 miles took in the first 6 miles of this race. There was 1200ft of elevation. So, my legs were absolutely screaming on the 3 mile climb (it was more of a drag than a climb with an average gradient of 5%). My initial thoughts were that my midweek runs were going to be run at a fairly decent pace and my weekend long runs would be slowed right down.

I 'm hoping that my legs felt heavy due to the marathon and as my training progresses it will become easier and my midweek runs can be a bit quicker than my long runs. Would you suggest that my midweek runs need to be at the same pace as my long runs ? 

30/04/2014 at 10:54

I think it's always good to keep some variety in your training.  I think if you run all your runs at one pace, then you do get stuck in a bit of a rut.  This is what I'm basically trying to do for this year..... I'm only ever going to be a back of the field plodder but this is my 4/5 day plan to get me around a few ultras this year.

I try to always have one shorter harder session each week, sub 1 hour but where I've worked harder than normal, be it pace or hills slightly faster than normal.

Then a medium length weekday run that is faster than LSR pace this usually ends up around marathon pace give or take 20 seconds each mile.

Then one or two recovery runs, These depend on my mood and how I feel, sometimes they are REALLY SLOW, occasionally you just feel great though and they end up being more like 10k pace.

Along with the weekend LSR. I agree with Cragchick for this slow is the key, as long as your moving forward all the time that's all you need to worry about, frankly time on feet is probably more important than actual distance. Just keep on plodding along, if you don't take much food, you can always take some money and grab a nibble or two on the way around if you get peckish (Some weekends will have two LSR's back to back) and that's about it for me I hope. Also want to experiment a bit for one Ultra with no back to backs, but running the last hour plus of LSR's at marathon pace to put the extra effort in, but in one run instead of two).

Edited: 30/04/2014 at 10:58
30/04/2014 at 11:20
Thanks, I'm panicking a bit about the lack of weekly mileage, I do have 2 marathons and a 50m during May so hopefully if I can get through all that in one piece I'll feel a bit more confident!
30/04/2014 at 12:55

I've gone and done it! Entered my first Ultra! It's at the end of June, so I have 1 month from Edinburgh Marathon to get round an ultra....aaaaaarrrrggghhh!!!!! 

30/04/2014 at 16:38

booktrunk - I am the same, a long slooooow run, something vaguely speedy, something with hills (my very long runs are not always with hills because I need to make sure I am on a route I won't get lost on so I am back in time for the school run ), and then if I have time in the week for another run or two they are at easy pace. Like you say though, sometimes you just feel really good and 'easy' pace is not as slow as it may have meant to be!!! and other weeks speedy just aint going to happen!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.