wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

7,981 to 8,000 of 8,239 messages
08/05/2014 at 14:20

08/05/2014 at 14:25

So I have now invested in a trusty foam roller and followed the videos on runnersworld, think i'll roller until i get to see a physio and then hopefully i can at last...get out and RUN!!!!!! ( frustration )

08/05/2014 at 14:28

Dank - the roller is what's keeping me going. Even when you have been to the physio and feel better I would suggest you carry on rollering 

08/05/2014 at 14:41

I think i will, just rolled for the first time, and it's loosened it nicely! I wonder if I should go to get another gait analysis and get new shoes, even though mine are only 150 miles run in.....

08/05/2014 at 21:18

BT - love the thought options!!  For me, if the event is hilly - like Lakes or Cheviots I use a kind of 'runners Naismith Rule' totally off my own concoction, is it's 10 mins  extrafor every 100m ascent if walking, so I make it 5 mins, I also allow this for descent too, especially in latter stages of race. I also add in times for checkpoints - say 5 mins for most of them but definitely at least one longer one where I might be collecting kit. I have never managed negative or even splits, I usually start off assuming 9-10mm, and then randomly add on extra minutes to miles the further through the race I go!! - random or what??? If it's a race that requires proper map/compass navigation then that all usually gets thrown out the window. I was thinking while out on my long run last week (24 miles), if I could work on 6mph with nature breaks and check points to start with that might work. Ultimately I just come up with a rough guess based on all of that and sometimes it's not too far out ... Apart from the one in the Cheviots where we ended up doing micro navigation, in the dark, on the tops, in fog ... Took way loingerthan predicted, that one I was just glad to finish

08/05/2014 at 21:21

Need to work out for Great Glen Way, slightly worried as first 30 miles are on Caledonian Canal, and that is pretty flat, definitely going to have to factor in walk breaks to stay in one piece, have never done an ultra with such a big flat section in it!! That won't be a problem for the 3x3000 in the lakes in October!!

08/05/2014 at 21:21

Re: timings- allow for a few minutes at each CP- unless you really believe you're just going to power through without sitting down! I have taken to changing my socks evry 20 miles or so- feels great, but takes 2-3 minutes.

I think most people slow spectacularly during an ultra, although, perhaps for a 30 miler, you won't necessary slow that much more than in a marathon, as long as you start out a little slower.

For anything over about 40 miles, I think drastic slowing is inevitable, and unlike a marathon , I don't think a negative, or evensplit is even remotely possible for mere mortals.

08/05/2014 at 21:37

FWIW, I've never changed socks or shoes on an ultra - and that's up to 28.5 hours! If it's going to be wet then get some good draining shoes and get used to it... Get any grit out ASAP.

get out of aid stations quickly, it'll save you loads of time and later on, the mental aspect is critical. It's a warm place and often filled with people who are dropping. 

I don't slow drastically really, for a sub-24 100 my aim was 50 in 10 hours. On my first I got there in 9:45 and passed 100 in 21:43... but I start at the back, really slowly and let the speedy people go. some people like to go out hard early and tough-out the later sections - that's not my style, I prefer I more consistent, enjoyable race i have tried the go hard option, and it's not for me

08/05/2014 at 23:13

Carterusm: you're probably being a bit conservative there for a 50K. For my first 50K ( I just tried to set a pace slower than my mara pace - I think I chose c. 9.00 - 9.15 minute miles - and tried to stick with that, with minimal stops at checkpoints - and I did, pretty much and came in in just over five hours (Garmin said I averaged 9.21/mile overall) - and my GMM time was 3.47 (admittedly in 2012 with the cold and the rain and the gale-force winds). Similarly for a 30-miler, although I went a bit too fast for a while and paid for it later with my pace dropping to 9.30-10.30/mile. Which at least taught me a lesson, so NDW50 I set off more conservatively, aimed for under 10 hours, allowing for up to five mins per aid station (not that I took that long at most of them) and came in in 9.53, so I was pleased with that.

I never have managed to make myself do a set run/walk, rather "walk the hills", although on NDW50 I was leapfrogging with someone who was running faster than I was when he was running, but was walking I think 1 in 10 or 2 in 10.

08/05/2014 at 23:15

Thanks cragchick, tricialitt,cand GeeeM 

it's really useful just knowing hoe others think, it all helps us less experienced get our head around it.

i'm thinking a but like cragchicks method add a but here n there, and come up with a random figure  

08/05/2014 at 23:25

Glad you like my thinking . I have never change shoes or socks actually, but on sdw I did dry off and re-talc my feet. Aside from sorting out a foot problem (eg blisters), I NEVER sit down. Is amazing how quickly you can lose time in checkpoints just choosing food and water bottle refilling. I try and go allow but think I don't go slow enough. So this year I will work on r-e-a-l-l-y slow and being super-organised at CP's. That said, on ultimate trails 100km last year I was steadily picking IDF people over the last 10 miles with my power-stomping and jogging so can't be getting it too wrong. I am unlikely to ever go out all guns blazing though!

09/05/2014 at 07:50

I have never done an ultra with indoor checkpoints- thst must be a whole different ball game- my longest race finished in darknesss, but the last stop was reached just in the day time, and the CP's were just by the side of the path. I only sat down to fiddle with my feet, and to re- pack my bag, but still takes a couple of minutes. To sit and rest would be fatal!

I have no idea about pacing, but the last one worked out better than others- 57miler, starting at marathon pace plus about 30 mis for the first half, and then whatever after that, but alll run- walked from the start, and I was moving past a lot of people in th elast 5 miles.

I am striclty back - of the pack, so I am working on just trying to get round without fear of being near cut- offs, and enjoying myself. I suspect that those nearer the front would wanta more aggressive strategy than me.

09/05/2014 at 11:18

Yeah I'm going to try my first run / walk full test run in training this weekend.

I think i'm doing 4/1 as my R/W strategy.

going to get some stick walking after 4 minutes of 69 miles, so might skip the first one or two

GKD
09/05/2014 at 11:35
http://www.run247.com/articles/article-5003-the-joy-of-failiure.html
My first in a series of articles about why I run and how I choose my races, feel free to share of you think anyone will like it
GKD
09/05/2014 at 11:46

GKD - Unless Its deliberate and I've missed something, 'failure' in the title is spelt wrong! 

Look forward to hearing how it goes though - that's a massive challenge.  And I completely get you on the fear front. 

10/05/2014 at 18:04

good grief what the heck is going on here ????! I turn my back for a minute ( well ok bit longer than that ) and the thread is full of what can only be described as essays !!

ladyfunrun, what ultra are you entering ?

10/05/2014 at 18:06

Taking into  account what uncle GKD has done so far I think he has earned the right to spell 'failure' any which way he likes id say ..........  

GKD
11/05/2014 at 06:21
Oops unfortunately that one's down to the run247 editor, I'll pass it on though
GKD
11/05/2014 at 10:20

hows Dracula Uncle G?

11/05/2014 at 10:44

That's a good read, Gary. I know that I have moved on each time I've completed a distance - knowing that I can now do the distance, and I'm too old now to worry those at the sharp end. But at the moment I am stuck at the 100 miler, as although I have completed the distance, I am still learning so much and, to be honest, I still find it scary. I guess it's when it no longer scares me that it's time to find a new challenge.

Looking forward to hearing about your next challenge, I recently heard a good podcast about the TdG, sounds amazing.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.