wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

8,001 to 8,020 of 8,329 messages
12/05/2014 at 12:19

Thanks for your advice so far, all very useful.

My runs over the weekend were focused on hills. On Saturday I ran 13 miles, all on the road, and took in 1400ft of climbing. Sunday I ran 5 miles in the peak district with 1150ft of elevation.

Today, one of my achilles is giving me a little bit of grief. I'm assuming it's because I've done more hill work than I would normally do (previously averaged about 6-8000ft per month). Is it going to be a case of me gradually increasing the elevation over a longer period of time ? I have a race in June where there is 4000ft of climbing and I am now wondering if that is going to be a bit too soon ?

Any thoughts and comments most welcome ta

12/05/2014 at 12:39

Get ready to walk some of it

Not very constructive I know, but steadily increase the amount of hill work, don't do to much to soon and end up injured, it's just standard common sense advise.

12/05/2014 at 13:14

Loulabell I've entered the Nomad 50 at the end of June.  Getting scared & excited now, I have mild PF in my right foot and have rested for a week.  I have Edinburgh Marathon in 2 weeks which is also scaring me due to the PF.  I just want it to go away so I can train! 

12/05/2014 at 13:44

Hi everyone, is there typical ratio to calculate your 100k time of a marathon time? I’m running my first 100k next month and I’m not sure what pace I should run. I ran Dublin Marathon last year in 2:54 which is 6:39 minutes a mile and I’m around that fitness level again. I was thinking of starting at around 7:30 pace and expect to slow to 8:00+ later on. Does this sound about right? I’ve been running about 80 to 100 miles a week with a longest back to back of 27/35 miles.

12/05/2014 at 14:53

Wow Badbark - that is some speed you've got there! I cant help, but good luck.  You sound in incredible shape.  

13/05/2014 at 21:10

Unfortunately a dnf for me at mile 72 of the Thames Path 100.  Severe pain at the tops of the legs, gradually losing motor ability in particularly the right leg, and in the middle of the night, unlikely as it might seem, finding I was becoming hypothermic because I was not moving fast enough to generate heat.  In fact the section miles 68-72 took three hours, between 0330-0630!!

Then 35 hours in A&E with rhabdomyolysis, which I've now had twice, so I'm having to rethink my running ambitions and stick to not much more than 50-milers for the foreseeable future.  A pity.  The health risk is too high to court with this dangerous condition.

So, my remaining ultra left after I cancel the others will be 10Peaks Brecon Beacons 55 which will now be my main target for this year.

18/05/2014 at 14:03

Please may I join in? I have been reading this thread for a while and will step out of the shadows and proclaim that I, too, harbour aspirations of being an ultra runner. I did my first 100km race two weeks ago and absolutely loved it with two more entered for September and December. I doubt that I can contribute anything of value here yet but am enjoying learning plenty .

T Rex - I read about your Thames Path experience on the other thread; I had a colleague admitted to ICU a few years ago with rhabdomylosis - I think your decision to go for lower mileages is certainly the right one if gutting I would imagine. Very pleased that you have recovered so well.

18/05/2014 at 14:36

Badbark: have you had a look at the McMillan running calculator, you can add other distances, the further your distance you can put in to base it on the closer it can get to a reasonable ball park figure. 

EDIT: it seems to be guesstimating around 8.5 hours. 

That seems to be fitting in with your estimates. 

Edited: 18/05/2014 at 14:51
18/05/2014 at 19:47

Ridgierunner: welcome! Obviously since you've already done a 100K you ARE an ultrarunner. Hope you continue to enjoy them.

T Rex: sympathies again for the rhabdo.

Meanwhile, my journey back towards ultras continues: I ran a whole FIVE miles today! Continuing to add only 1/2 mile to the run length each week at the moment AND I'm horribly slow but it feels so much better than not running at all.

18/05/2014 at 20:24

Thanks Debra - very kind. 

Recovery from injury can be so painstakingly slow can't it? Sounds like you're managing to remain very sensible!!

19/05/2014 at 10:02

Glad you are creeping back there Debra, a long frustrating one no doubt!

19/05/2014 at 14:30

HI cragchick, thanks for that. Yes, frustrating in terms of distance AND loss of speed. But essential to increase gradually if I'm to have a chance of getting back to long distances again. I choose to believe that the tendon WILL hold out if I give it enough time to regenerate and learn to handle the load again.

19/05/2014 at 16:43

Debra - I suspect you are probably right, sometimes we have to take all the info the experts give us and then use a bit of our own intuition to work our way through things!!! I tweaked my peroneal tendon on a rather long and epicy Cairngorm mountain run on Friday so am trying to be nice to it for the next few days ...

20/05/2014 at 10:57

So managed to get back into running...at last, managed a meagre 15 miles last week, and this week I'll aim for 15/20 - I have 12 weeks until the Salisbury 54321, with no room for a tapering period? Is this a realistic timescale to train, definitely lost my marathon fitness, wondering whether to train as much as possible and then walk run 50/50 maybe as a learning curve for ultras and as I have entered I want the medal!  

WiB
20/05/2014 at 11:01

Why no taper? You have loads of time. 

WiB
20/05/2014 at 11:37

Just assumed I'd need every weekend long run in order to get from maybe 10 mile long run this week to over 20 by 12 weeks? 

Is is it realistic to train in 12 weeks? 

WiB
20/05/2014 at 12:42

Yeah, its loads of time. You will do more harm than good to your race by not resting up a bit before hand.

WiB
20/05/2014 at 12:54
Talking about tapers how long do you experienced people leave to taper? I seem to keep organising marathons 2 weeks before ultras, which doesn't seem to affect me as I'm used to running in tired legs but I do wonder whether I would perform better without trashing myself in a marathon first!
20/05/2014 at 12:55

Yeah, you wouldn't want to be doing your longest training runs within 2 weeks of the event, you'd not see the training effect in that time-frame, so as WiB says, better to rest up and get to the start line feeling fresh. Taper doesn't mean no running, just cutting it steadily back.

20/05/2014 at 13:12

I'm probably doing it wrong, but my next ultra is 21st June and this weekend I'm going to be doing my longest training run(s) 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.