wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

8,001 to 8,007 of 8,007 messages
17/09/2015 at 14:44

Nayan - get yourself an OS map of your local area and just run along all the red dotted lines ! They are the trails. You will probably find that as you are running along you will see a signpost for a path that you have no idea where it leads to but you will find yourself going down it anyway, just to see where it leads to. I find that you don't need as much structure for your runs as you do when marathon training, just go out the door and see where it takes you. Regarding training for a 50 miler, you wont need to do a massive amount more than what you are doing now. You might want to lengthen your longest run to maybe 30 miles and you will also introduce back to back long runs e.g. 15 on Friday followed by 25 on Saturday. These will be the key sessions as you practice running on tired legs. There are plenty of training plans on t'interweb if you have a look round and people on here will, of course, be happy to chip in with any advice

17/09/2015 at 14:46

LNandB - I just couldn't force anything down me at all. I was feeling sick because I was hungry and as soon as I nobbled on something I felt sick again. I like your suggestion of soup as that might be easier to digest compared to food.

17/09/2015 at 15:25

Thanks for the heads up on that, Nayan.  A new event I didn't know about.  I've entered as well.  Looks a very interesting route including bits of Thames Path and Ridgeway.

We will pass the very place where I was put into an ambulance after completing 72 miles of the Thames Path 100 in 2014. 

17/09/2015 at 20:44

Re: food- sounds like too much chocolate to me- I go for chocolate milk, but no solid chocolate- split a bottle of FRIJJ or such like into 3 or 4 smaller bottles, ( or buy the tiny ones if you can), and go for little and often in the drop bags- I hate rice pudding, but love cheese, so baby bels are great, and now that they've started doing laughing cow in tiny individaul squares, I will try it, but they're probably too small, and the normal triangles are probably better. I also go for crisps/ pringles, as some sort of salty food is a must, but it does become difficult to chew solid food later, and that's where Gels might eventually be necessary.

Early on, something really solid like soreen loaf, and/ or mini pork pies ( yup- seems to work!), might go down well, but not likely to be digestable at a later point.

Worth trying all these things on long trainig days, but you'll never know how it i going to be until race day.

TRex- oh- fond memories of Rhabdomyolysis? - hopefully you'll be on better shape as you whizz by this time!

Edited: 17/09/2015 at 20:45
06/10/2015 at 22:50

Not so fond, tricialitt!  I need to find strategies to prevent rhabdomyolysis so that I can get going over 70-mile mark and hopefully make sure it is a thing of the past.  A higher and more regular training mileage will be a key factor.

No more ultras for me until April.  When I've finalised my (short) list for 2016 I'll post the details on here and perhaps see some of you at them?

One I'm keen to make happen is the Round the Rock Ultra, Jersey (48 miles).  Friends of ours are moving there this Thursday but I don't think I can quite invite ourselves to stay just yet.  Let them settle in for a day or two first!!

I'll also be recceing sections of a route for a major solo own challenge in 2017.  Details top secret.

Yesterday at 11:03

I've got 3 i've signed up for in 2016 and I think that is going to be it.  Might add a short fourth 30m sort of distance, but I think the 3 I have planned will be it for 2016.

Have a reduced price entry for another that i'm thinking of doing, but it might just be to much doing another so am thinking about it but currently sticking at 3 (we shall see)

24 hour (hardcastle 24)

100m (yes another go 0/3 over 100km. (yes I know not enough training but my body breaks when i try to up the distances in training, so might need to accept 100km might be my limit, but not willing to accept that yet).

50m (nice 15m looped course, and another small loop, ladybower)

Yesterday at 22:39

My A races for 2016 are not finalised yet, but I think Ehunmilak will be my overseas event.  

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8,001 to 8,007 of 8,007 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.