wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

8,001 to 8,020 of 8,063 messages
17/09/2015 at 14:44

Nayan - get yourself an OS map of your local area and just run along all the red dotted lines ! They are the trails. You will probably find that as you are running along you will see a signpost for a path that you have no idea where it leads to but you will find yourself going down it anyway, just to see where it leads to. I find that you don't need as much structure for your runs as you do when marathon training, just go out the door and see where it takes you. Regarding training for a 50 miler, you wont need to do a massive amount more than what you are doing now. You might want to lengthen your longest run to maybe 30 miles and you will also introduce back to back long runs e.g. 15 on Friday followed by 25 on Saturday. These will be the key sessions as you practice running on tired legs. There are plenty of training plans on t'interweb if you have a look round and people on here will, of course, be happy to chip in with any advice

17/09/2015 at 14:46

LNandB - I just couldn't force anything down me at all. I was feeling sick because I was hungry and as soon as I nobbled on something I felt sick again. I like your suggestion of soup as that might be easier to digest compared to food.

17/09/2015 at 15:25

Thanks for the heads up on that, Nayan.  A new event I didn't know about.  I've entered as well.  Looks a very interesting route including bits of Thames Path and Ridgeway.

We will pass the very place where I was put into an ambulance after completing 72 miles of the Thames Path 100 in 2014. 

17/09/2015 at 20:44

Re: food- sounds like too much chocolate to me- I go for chocolate milk, but no solid chocolate- split a bottle of FRIJJ or such like into 3 or 4 smaller bottles, ( or buy the tiny ones if you can), and go for little and often in the drop bags- I hate rice pudding, but love cheese, so baby bels are great, and now that they've started doing laughing cow in tiny individaul squares, I will try it, but they're probably too small, and the normal triangles are probably better. I also go for crisps/ pringles, as some sort of salty food is a must, but it does become difficult to chew solid food later, and that's where Gels might eventually be necessary.

Early on, something really solid like soreen loaf, and/ or mini pork pies ( yup- seems to work!), might go down well, but not likely to be digestable at a later point.

Worth trying all these things on long trainig days, but you'll never know how it i going to be until race day.

TRex- oh- fond memories of Rhabdomyolysis? - hopefully you'll be on better shape as you whizz by this time!

Edited: 17/09/2015 at 20:45
06/10/2015 at 22:50

Not so fond, tricialitt!  I need to find strategies to prevent rhabdomyolysis so that I can get going over 70-mile mark and hopefully make sure it is a thing of the past.  A higher and more regular training mileage will be a key factor.

No more ultras for me until April.  When I've finalised my (short) list for 2016 I'll post the details on here and perhaps see some of you at them?

One I'm keen to make happen is the Round the Rock Ultra, Jersey (48 miles).  Friends of ours are moving there this Thursday but I don't think I can quite invite ourselves to stay just yet.  Let them settle in for a day or two first!!

I'll also be recceing sections of a route for a major solo own challenge in 2017.  Details top secret.

08/10/2015 at 11:03

I've got 3 i've signed up for in 2016 and I think that is going to be it.  Might add a short fourth 30m sort of distance, but I think the 3 I have planned will be it for 2016.

Have a reduced price entry for another that i'm thinking of doing, but it might just be to much doing another so am thinking about it but currently sticking at 3 (we shall see)

24 hour (hardcastle 24)

100m (yes another go 0/3 over 100km. (yes I know not enough training but my body breaks when i try to up the distances in training, so might need to accept 100km might be my limit, but not willing to accept that yet).

50m (nice 15m looped course, and another small loop, ladybower)

08/10/2015 at 22:39

My A races for 2016 are not finalised yet, but I think Ehunmilak will be my overseas event.  

10/10/2015 at 18:49

I don't post in here much having only done two ultras (and enjoyed them very much!) but was looking at the Hardcastle 24 - have you done it before booktrunk? 

10/10/2015 at 20:23

Yes, did it this year. 

It's a 5km route, that goes around Hebden Crags, there are two hills one is a slop the other is a pretty steep bitch, and generally it's a lot gnurlier for a 5km loop than most 5km loops. There are a couple of road sections as well, so it's a real mix and a great fun 5k.

There were not that many of us this year, but I can see it doubling st least next year in popularity, the organisers are really friendly. they are also moving the HQ to a scout hut next year. 

I'm looking forward to it. There is around 180m of elevation each lap. 

10/10/2015 at 20:34

Thanks - sounds good. I can only do a few races per year (time issues and needing my body to be in pretty OK nick for work!!) but keep being drawn back to the website so may well enter. Right time of year and would be interesting to see what I can achieve .

10/10/2015 at 20:47

Oh it's very friendly, the organisers had a barbecue this year and so there were burgers n chicken available at the end of a couple of the laps  

10/10/2015 at 21:05

Not sure I'd be able to manage a burger but it does sound tempting!!

13/10/2015 at 09:08

Good Morning all

I am definitely a newbie and have a massive goal in front of me. I have entered the Comrades Marathon 2016 Down Run here in South Africa and I have never even run a Half Marathon let alone a qualifier.

13/10/2015 at 21:18

Get on a marathon training programme, run your qualifier, and then we will tell you how to take it from there.  

15/10/2015 at 12:59

Hi all, 

Ive signed myself up for the Vale Ultra (32.5 miles) and planning to do Brecon to Cardiff (42 miles) next year. Both are a month apart so, im going to focus training around the 42m one. Will be scouring here for as many tips as possible. Have done a few halfs but no runs further than 15M yet. Love reading through your advice, race reports and tips. Thanks

15/10/2015 at 21:14

That is a bit like what I did in my first ultra Welshygunner. 

My longest previous race had been a 16.3 mile road race, my longest run had been a 20 mile training run , and the ultra was the Northants 35. 

To be honest I did just about everything wrong, but I still got round OK. 

The truth is that once you can do 20 mile training runs, you are able to deal with the shorter ultras using the right strategy, so you are getting close. 

If you tell us your typical weeks running schedule, we could suggest where to go from here.  

16/10/2015 at 08:33

Cheers Ben. 

Good to hear im in a familar position. 

Training has been relaexed the last two weeks as was focusing on my time for a recent half. At the moment im training with my club mon & thurs. Monday is shorter speed/hil reps, thursday is long reps 1200m/km off short recoveries and a race/long run at weekend. I plan to re-introduce a run/cylce commute to work on a tuesday & wednesday in the next few weeks. Im guessing that i need to build up the long runs and do back to back come closer to the event. How do you find eating and drinking in the runs? Am i really going to need real food? cant imagine eating on a run and then doesnt this bring toilet stops?

16/10/2015 at 08:38

My 2p today is really, think about and practise what food you are going to eat.  Personally I end up eating way to much and feeling bloated and having real problems.  I always struggle later as a result. 

Even last night i only went on a short run but it was after tea and i really struggled.  I run so much better on an empty stomach.

Not sure if I should try to train myself to be happy running after eating more, but don't see the point as I don't really like it, or do teh sensible thing which must be to look at what i eat in long distance runs and tailor that to what suits me, not necessarily what suits other people.

16/10/2015 at 12:21

Food is certainly going to be fun. Ive been running for a while now, so have learnt what not to eat on a running day and when to eat etc. 

Will be tricky to see what i can stomach on the actual run. I do alot of early morning fasted runs on empty and just take an energy drink to use on the way around. These have been up to 15.5 miles and ive not felt any need for anything else.

Im assuming as a marathon can be done on drinks and gels, 32.5 should be equally managable on that? is there a point when more substantial food is really needed or is it all about preference.  

16/10/2015 at 13:32

Welsh - I am not in a position to give advice but I can tell you a bit about what I've done. I trained earlier this year to become fat adapted so my long training runs were always fasted. During those training runs (20/25 miles) I would only take on water but no food or gels etc. I ran St Cuthberts Way ultra (47 miles) in June and I hardly ate anything at all. This was not intentional as I planned to eat during the race. I got to the stage where I was so hungry I felt sick but every time I put some food in my mouth I felt sick. I finished the race and ate like a horse. Tomorrow, I'm running the Round Rotherham 50 and I intend to force food down me as I don't believe I could be so lucky again tomorrow and hardly eat anything and expect to get around. Whilst your 32.5 is only a short distance longer than a marathon I assume you will be running it a lot slower and the terrain will be different. As such, you can expect to be out on the course a lot longer and it would probably come to the stage where taking on gels might get boring so I would suggest you try getting some proper food down you as soon as possible in the race. Maybe alternative real food with gels. Good luck

8,001 to 8,020 of 8,063 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.