wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

8,041 to 8,060 of 8,277 messages
30/05/2014 at 12:04

Here's a question that'ds probably been asked a million times... What shoes do you all wear for part road/part trail long distance runs?

I've been looking at the Innov 8 Terrafly 227 as it's a bit of a hybrid shoe - the blurb:

Designed to stand up to the rigor of both road and off road running the terrafly™ 277's unique combination of inov-8's Dynamic Fascia Band™ technology and Terradapter™ heel unit encourages an increasingly efficient running technique over long distances. Choose this shoe for ultra running and developing your running technique over longer distances.

Has anyone used this shoe or know of it?

Also - has anyone used the injinji socks before?

It's difficult to know what kit is worth getting and what's not.

Thanks all

30/05/2014 at 12:10

Salomon Speedcross 3 for me on the very occasional real trail stuff, mostly i just stick with my road shoes, and hose them down afterwards.

Injinji socks..... I asked that in another thread and got a few responses saying yes they are worth it, some tried others and went back to them.  So i'm just going to order myself a pair this weekend, or see if I can find somewhere with them in stock.

30/05/2014 at 12:54

Thanks Bookie, I'm every marketers dream and generally believe what I'm told, so the injinji socks look good to me!

Just been paid, so I'll give them a bash too - lets see how we get on.

30/05/2014 at 13:05
My injinji socks have been retired to the only use if I'm out if smartwool socks pile, they are ok but smartwool are better! My drymax socks are in the injinji pile too!

Still working on shoes I'm liking the sketchers go run ultra but they need to improve their stability, they aren't good on very technical stuff!
30/05/2014 at 13:43

I like a thin sock so use cycling socks from Decathlon. They do the job at a fraction of the price.

Re shoes, I've just bought some Innov8 Roclite 315s. I need some with a good grip but also plenty of cushioning. However, they are quite a wide shoe and I'm finding little stones etc are getting in on a regular basis. Are there any tricks to prevent this from happening or is it a case of buying a different shoe ?

30/05/2014 at 13:44
Gaiters
30/05/2014 at 15:07

Here's another crazy question - this time regards navigating.  Is there a phone app that I can download a route onto that will be able to ell me where I'm going?

I've been studying maps, but if I dont know where I am in relation to the map, the map's not a lot of use.

I'm half hoping I'll be able to run with another compteitor that is familiar with the route or that can navigate....eeek!

30/05/2014 at 16:57

Not sure, but with relation to maps, there is an awesome OS app, that just gives you your OS Grid position, so it's great if you are using a map, and think you might have got lost... I did when i came back to my car cross country from Kinder Scout and i followed the wrong way up a little river it was misty so i being stupid and getting it wrong, as soon as the app showed me my grid reference i could compare that to the map and just checked it every 10 minutes until i got back on track.

30/05/2014 at 17:09

Bookie that sounds perfect! I dont want to be some useless liability out there so if there's a means by which I can help myself simply then I'm all for it  Thank you

31/05/2014 at 08:20

LFR - I think I've got the same app as BT. I've got UK Map app on my phone which is basically the Ordnance Survey map. It cost about £7 but it's really good and shows pretty much everything you get on a real map. You can use this offline as well although you wont be able to find your currently location unless you are online of course. 

31/05/2014 at 16:37

touie, after getting a shed load of sand and bits down the back of my salomons at NDW50 other weekend ive been looking at gaiters too !!

31/05/2014 at 18:08
Yes I have the inov8 ones they are good! I didn't get any sand in my shoes in NDW ????
31/05/2014 at 19:56
ladyfunrun wrote (see)

I've been looking at the Innov 8 Terrafly 227

Has anyone used this shoe or know of it?

I've got the goretex version of these for my daily walking about shoe and I think they are great. There isn't much cushioning in them and they generally feel a bit minimal but are really comfy and I would imagine great for running in. As a crossover trail/road shoe I'm not convinced though, maybe ok for very light trail but in those circumstances road shoes are probably just as good.

For gaiters, the ultramarathon running store sell dirty girl gaiters in a load of different patterns. They don't stop the very fine stuff getting in as running shoes are generally quite holey, but they do reduce it significantly and obviously stop stones and the like finding their way in.

01/06/2014 at 12:09

Thanks Shawk - good feedback. 

So I've managed a total of 17 miles this week post Edinburgh marathon. Trying to run on trails as much as possible and I tell you, it's hard work! 

I've been 'practising' walking up hills and if you're already out of puff, trying to keep a brisk walking pace is a lot if effort! I'm goosed this week and with only 3 weeks to the 50, I'm getting a bit concerned that I might have bitten off more than I can chew. 

01/06/2014 at 12:17

LFR: snap I am utterly shattered and 3 weeks to go to my next which is 69m I struggled to do a 4km walk to town n back yesterday, I was cramping up and limping home 

i think it means you've trained as hard as you can and are in sore need of a nice taper. 

In a week you will be itching to do another long run, resist the urge, you know you can run it's now just staying injuryish free and going for it  

01/06/2014 at 13:23

Sounds like you both need to taper now.............

I have really not got going again properly after the G2E double marathon bak in april, and I have a hily marathon next weekend, really just as a nice day out as a long run to start the build uup towards 2 ultras in the autimn- Clyde stride ( 42 miles) in Sept, Glen Ogle ( 33 miles)in nov. I found the same thing last year- really difficult to get going again after the G22E, which is 57 miles, and this year a cold last week didn't help.

Will just have to rely on residual fitness to get through next weekend's run- not going to race it, if it takes 5 hours, it's no bother ( did it in 4:38 last  year, on only a little more trainig).

The big plan is to get fit enough to tackle the highland fling next april- 53 ( I think) miles, but much hillier than any of my previous races.

01/06/2014 at 19:39

Like LFR, I am finding doing most of my miles on trails/fells is a lot harder than I was expecting. 

Like most of you, I feel like I've still got a recent marathon in my legs and finding running generally hard going at the moment. My race is in 3 weeks and I've only managed one fairly hilly 20 miler in the last 6 weeks. I'm going to plan a long hilly fun for next weekend and, depending how that goes, I will make my decision about the race after next weekend

01/06/2014 at 21:08

Yep starting my taper, 4 hour dog walk today, no running  

01/06/2014 at 21:31

Thanks BT & Tricialit, appreciate your advice. My plan is to do a couple of short sharp towpath runs this week and try get something low teens in at the weekend. Then a nice steady off road 18 miler early next week and pretty much leave it at that.

I had wanted to do a good double this coming weekend but I don't think I'll get the benefit only 2 weeks out. So I'll stick to the trails, keep them under 10 miles and not think about times, just keep the legs turning. 

That sounds sensible doesn't it? 

01/06/2014 at 22:47

No point pushing yourself with less than 3 weeks to go, but I have the same sort of problem about "tapering" when actually you have nothing to taper from. I think the answer is to keep it to a level that keeps your fitnesss up, but doesn't knacker you. ONly you know what that is, but a double may be counter- productive, your plan sounds as goos as anything.............not that I know............

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.