wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

8,061 to 8,080 of 8,321 messages
02/06/2014 at 10:07

Doing around 10 miles tonight, but that will include a cheaty walking section where I meet OH and Dog for a 3-4km walk in the middle.

Will do 10-12 miles next Saturday, or Sunday. Apart from that all my runs are going to be around 5 miles and a total of 4 or 5 runs a week for the next two weeks, and then on the last week two 5m runs and maybe a 1 mile jog around Carlisle on the Friday.

Will also fit in a 3 hour plus dog walk each of the next two weekends.

02/06/2014 at 15:33

I bought some new trail shoes this lunchtime! I say new, what I meant was 'first'.  I got some Adidas Kannadia they weren't what I had hoped to get, but they were the most comfy and that's what it's all about. 

They were also the cheapest but that genuinely didn't influence my decision.  I'm looking forward to getting out there and trying them.  If I like them ill probably take them with me for the ultra, but only use them if I get to. A checkpoint and feel the need for a more trail like shoe.  It's too soon to expect to be able to wear them for a full 50 miles! 

02/06/2014 at 16:34

I am new to ultra running having run 28 marathons and now up for a new challenge. I am looking to buy a hydration vest and after some advice. I am only 5ft 2in & 48 kg so struggle to find a belt small enough that doesn't bounce around and worry the straps on most packs will be far too long. Salomon S labs look good with xs size but are so expensive. Does anyone have experience of the Jenny Jurek ultimate direction ultra vesta. Seems to fit the bill and a bit cheaper. Don't want to spend too much in case I find I am rubbish at the longer distances!!

GKD
02/06/2014 at 17:19

Try Loulabell, she's a tiny person too

GKD
02/06/2014 at 18:13

Hi fairyclogs, 

I'm not a small person but I use either a camelback or a waist belt with a bug water bottle pouch at the back. 

Maybe if you get some good small person feedback you could try ebay or preloved to save on the expense. 

03/06/2014 at 12:19

Fairyclogs: I'm about the same size as you. I've used and really liked the Salomon wings 10+3 vest pack (not the S-labs), although towards the end of last year somehow the back padding stopped working so well with the result that I got rubbed by the lid of my 2 litre Camelback bladder when that got near to empty. The Jenny Jurek looks good but I'm not sure it would be large enough for long races with a lot of obligatory kit - maybe with waterproofs stuffed into the external bungees - or for long self-supported runs where you need to carry more water. I moved from a 5 litre pack with 1 litre bladder to the Salomon with 2 litre bladder once I passed 50K/30 miles races and was regularly doing 25mile and longer training runs.

04/06/2014 at 14:56

Do I need to invest in trail/road shoes for the Salisbury 54321 50km, currently traiming with my road shoes, have invested in a north face endure 13 hydration backpack, which seems very convenient and comfortable, 

04/06/2014 at 16:11

Here is an old thread about it.. Maybe bring that thread back to live in Events to ask a bit more about this specific event, but there is a bit of talk about what shoes,

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/salisbury-5-4-3-2-1-trail-marathon/192788-2.html

04/06/2014 at 17:17
You'd be fine in road shoes IMO
04/06/2014 at 21:08

Hi Fairyclogs! I am not really small - about 5ft6 and around 60kg - but haven't found a waist pack that goes small enough and doesn't bounce really. It isn't a vest but I use the Salomon Agile 12 and find it very comfortable.

05/06/2014 at 23:04

Evening all, 

Just a quick check in to keep you up to date, so, last week which was week 1 post Marathon I managed a total of 17 miles, the majority of them were off road and very slow, but that was fine I'm happy with that. 

I think because I didn't blast round the Edinburgh marathon (17 mins slower than Manchester a few weeks previous) I haven't needed as long to recover and I'm up to 20 miles this week already. I'd love to get to a 40 plus mile week with the addition of maybe a 10 & a 15 this weekend. 

Then maybe start a 2 week taper. 

Despite a few niggles (threatening plantar fasciitis) I'm feeling better than I expected to at this stage which naturally leaves me a bit more optimistic about the big day! However, we all know how running is a great humbler so I'm holding onto my horses and not getting too excited. 

Can I Check with you guys, how long on average do you stay at a check point for?  Is it a case of having a wee, grabbing some food and topping up your water or are there more official things to do that might take a bit longer? 

Thanks in advance. 

05/06/2014 at 23:16

My first 50 I kept them all below 10 minutes. 

If going longer I'm planning a longer half hour break at around half way. 

06/06/2014 at 09:27

ladyfunrun - ask yourself - why are you stopping at the check point and with that gauge your time.  I would strongly recommend you spend as little time as possible.

However, if you are experiencing hotspots/chafing and the like, then definitely take your time to sort those out.

If you're running strong and flowing, then re-fuel and then go!

And preferably DON'T sit down!!

06/06/2014 at 09:59

If you can streamline your time in aid stations then you can make up a lot of places and save a lot of time - the bigger 100's can have 15-20 aid stations, if you spend 5 minutes in each one - that's 75-100 minutes , 10 minutes at each one and - well, you get the picture!

Personally, I'm "in-and-out", refill water if needed, grab some food and eat on the go - a lot of times aid stations will be at the bottom of a hill so I'd be walking anyway.

I don't use drop bags, and I've never had a support crew - it used to feel a bit rude not sticking around to chat to the volunteers but they understand!

Having said that, I've done some low-key races recently where time wasn't a factor for me and have really enjoyed lazing around the CPs, at the Apocalypse 50 the 30/40 mile CP was at a pub - we may have stopped for a beer and some chips 

06/06/2014 at 10:42

Oooh, great info guys, thank you.  

I will aim to keep CP's as efficient as possible, but if i reach a stage where I need a good rest, then sod it - I'm having one! 

My biggest concern is still navigating  - I expect that stopping to map read and the potential of getting lost will cause more issues with lost time.  

Geem - Last time I checked, beer was isotonic no?! 

06/06/2014 at 11:37

I've not done enough to know properly, but it really does seem to be a case of either keep them brief, or go for a whole proper rest, so quick as possible, or if you going to take a break make it a proper break.

07/06/2014 at 17:24
Dank-art wrote (see)

Do I need to invest in trail/road shoes for the Salisbury 54321 50km, currently traiming with my road shoes, have invested in a north face endure 13 hydration backpack, which seems very convenient and comfortable, 

I did this event last year as my 1st toe in the water of ultra. I wore trail shoes but the terrain was pretty good and compact, although quite rutted in places. Road shoes should do fine, unless it's wet. There are a good number of aid stations where you can top up water etc... 

09/06/2014 at 08:41

So this maybe a bit of an odd request, but after running the Southend half marathon yesterday in insanely hot temperatures, I suddenly realised my psychological state of mind is perhaps the weakest part of my running. It felt like I wanted to crumble around 7 miles in, even though this is my 3rd half marathon this year and I ran the London marathon in April . It's an odd feeling, perhaps doubting my ability to carry on and wanting to crumble to the ground. I put it down to the extreme heat and possibly running out of fuel, I was due for a energy gel around that time. But my question is does anyone have any tips or could point me at any books, websites that tackle strengthening yourself mentally. I have the 50km at Salisbury soon, and want to prepare myself mentally. 

09/06/2014 at 09:49

One thing you need to do is break down your race from a single 50k(31mile) down to a series of small runs between aid stations. I print out a list of them so I know how far to the next, and thats all I look at on the day. Example my last 31m was a series of 6.9, 6.6, 4.9, 6.5, 3.5 and 3.2 miles. Much easier to work out and deal with, especially if you have bad sections, you can restart at the next check point.

09/06/2014 at 10:22

CR - I had this exact conversation with a friend the other day.. She can break down a Marathon into manageable chunks, but I cannot 'park' any section of the Marathon.  even 3 miles from he line, she can think, right, only a 5k to go, but not me! 

I'm hoping that because we physically have to go through a check point in the ultra's that it will make it all a lot more manageable.  I believe it will, you can physically and mentally detach yourself from the last section and go for the next one.  

Dank-art - what do you think? 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.