wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

8,061 to 8,063 of 8,063 messages
21/11/2015 at 15:22

Kazheaney - which dates are you doing?  The one starting on the Friday or the Saturday?  I'm glad to know there's someone else here who's doing it as their first ultra.  I am the world's slowest runner so hoping I'll make it back to camp each night before dark!

Shwmae Seren I remember you from some of the marathon threads when I was just starting out.  Nice to see someone I "know" over here.  

22/11/2015 at 09:11

Hi folks,

Mind if I join in?

I'm just about recovered from my first ultra. Did the Brecon Beacons one last weekend. Wow! what a day! I'm absolutely delighted by my time and position and am definitely hooked.

Up until last Saturday I'd never run further than 26.2 so was very nervous about what would happen in a 46 mile one. In the end I was distracted from the tiredness by the atrocious weather.

seren nos, if you were to pick a race to just do the first half of, this was it! gale force winds and flooded paths made the 2nd half of the race very.... erm.... interesting!!! If you missed it, the chap doing the prize giving said he normally makes a few sarky remarks about the one lappers, but in this instance everyone doing two laps was a bloody idiot and just to rub it in even more the beacons are covered in snow and bathed in sunshine this weekend!

So what do you guys do the weeks after a race? I'm massively keen to get back to training hard, but assume there's a sensible amount of time to leave after a tough race!

In summery then, I'm still buzzing from the whole thing a week later and anyone reading this thread, thinking about taking the plunge and doing their first ultra should definitely go for it

22/11/2015 at 11:24

If you use a HRM that's a useful way of working out if you have recovered, if your heart rate is high for a run it pronbably shows you aren't fully recovered. 

sometiimes recovery is really quick as you are not going at marathon pace, but if your really drained it could take a month to get fully back into it you just need to see how it goes, but be prepared to back off and take a few easy weeks, as you really don't want to get injured or burnt out.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8,061 to 8,063 of 8,063 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.