wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

8,081 to 8,100 of 8,295 messages
09/06/2014 at 10:31

I tried answering this but deleted my answer three times...

It's a very individual thing, I do maths games in my head, that at times sound depressing but really help me, as I run along if i'm struggling i work out how big a percentage of the race each km is, as my watch is set to beep at the end of each km, so I use this and think that's another 3% or .8% hey i've done 38ish% so far that's not to bad....

If it's really falling apart then I do little mind games to get me to the end of the current km, then start again with the next km.  Get to the next km mark and have a swig of drink, or get to the next km mark, and have a walk, etc... the more i am struggling the shorter the distance is, but i'm always just challenging myself to get to the next x, and then as soon as I have hit the next km mark, it's have my treat or whatever, and then i cannot give in now, just get to the next km marker...

I find I have battles likes this sometimes, but usually the really bad times last for 3-5km and then things slowly feel a bit better.  then it's back to ohhh, i guess it's only about x distance to the next pit stop....

Also, basically I tell myself what is the point of quitting, I've somehow got to get back to the start or the end of my race to get the car etc... So basically, it's just as easy to keep plodding along in the race as it is quitting because i've still got to somehow get to the end of the race so i might as well doing running, or walking, or staggering along the course.

It's a confidence thing, you know you will eventually feel better than you do.  It's just finding a way with coping for the few really crappy minutes.

Edited: 09/06/2014 at 10:36
09/06/2014 at 12:23
Thanks for the advice, quite like the planning the check points idea, breaking it down is how I dealt with the marathon, I think my calf injury which reoccurred on the marathon at mile 15 knocked my confidence, and made it mentally very tough to carry on, but I did of course! Strange how with all the training and fitness and nutrition, once in the thick of the race small things can knock you mentally, like Mia counting miles left, which I did on Sunday, only by a mile, but it shook me a bit!
09/06/2014 at 12:36

And when it really gets tough, just break it down to "I'm going to run to the next tree/junction/footpath sign/etc." Before you know it you'll be at another checkpoint and have another good chunk of mileage ticked off!

When I'm struggling I tend to try to concentrate on my form, or force myself to think about something positive, or just something different. I figure that if you can occupy your mind with something else, then it has less opportunity to go to the dark places!

09/06/2014 at 12:56

One of the reasons I even contemplated entering my 50 was that the longest leg is 10 miles and I know I can do that for sure! 

10/06/2014 at 13:15

So my taper plan 5m, off, 5m, off, 10m, off, 4-5m, off, 4m, off, off, race. Seems reasonable to me  

10/06/2014 at 17:47

Sounds better than mine for the ultra tour of the peak district booktrunk.

Did a local half marathon on Sunday and had an ache in my foot come on at mile 12 which turned into agony and an inability to put weight on it for 2 days.

So now the taper is 2 weeks of no running and a whole years worth of wishes being used up...

10/06/2014 at 19:45

Good luck kallum!! 

10/06/2014 at 20:26

Seems reasonable to me too BT but what would I know!! 

Kallum, could you get a good sports massage or something, that might iron out the pain? 

10/06/2014 at 21:00

My taper for this week's sdw100 is no running and no sleep - due to the arrival of our first child on Thursday ???

10/06/2014 at 22:38

Last Thursday? 

Congrats, and if it's not and hoping to come this Thursday then Eeeeeeek

Edited: 10/06/2014 at 22:38
11/06/2014 at 01:49

Yeah, last Thursday. Thanks for the congrats. Not sure if the sleep deprivation is good training, or I'm just going to crash on Saturday - we'll see.

11/06/2014 at 12:33

Congrats Tiago - That's lovely news. 

11/06/2014 at 13:01

Thank you. Exciting times. 

11/06/2014 at 13:42

Congrats Tom  

Roni and I will see you at CP1 and CP4 Saturday 

11/06/2014 at 14:36

Ah cool. Give me a shout if you see me, as I'm a bit of a zombie right now.

11/06/2014 at 14:43

Whats your race number Tom?

Edited: 11/06/2014 at 14:45
11/06/2014 at 14:56

56 mate, and it'll be on a racebelt. Purple compressport calf sleeves. Bags under my eyes bigger than the one on my back 

12/06/2014 at 13:40

Tiago: Congrats!

Kallum: seconding the advice for a sports massage - or even a physio to check that out.

12/06/2014 at 14:40

Thanks Debra . I'm going to miss the little fella this weekend.

12/06/2014 at 23:17

The loud pop I felt at work tonight, followed by relief in pressure suggested it may have been a dislocated 2nd toe.

Just left with a bit of metatarsal pain now but its eased off tremendously in the last few days and I'm almost limp free now.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.