wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

8,101 to 8,120 of 8,329 messages
16/06/2014 at 19:14

HELP! I bought a S-Lab 12 last week and took it for a trial run on my 50km LSR on the weekend. I now have loads of friction "burns" / marks on my back and on my sides. Has anyone else experienced this? Have I done it up too tight or not tight enough? Any ideas? 

an
17/06/2014 at 00:12

SAFER wrote (see)

HELP! I bought a S-Lab 12 last week and took it for a trial run on my 50km LSR on the weekend. I now have loads of friction "burns" / marks on my back and on my sides. Has anyone else experienced this? Have I done it up too tight or not tight enough? Any ideas? 

Sudocrem is your friend.

Edited: 17/06/2014 at 00:15
an
18/06/2014 at 00:40

Congrats TIAGO, lovely news. I can confidently say that small children are a great training tool for long ultras, my kids are 7 and 9 now but I've done weeks on little sleep in the past and it's amazing what you CAN do, despite feeling like utter sh£te

18/06/2014 at 08:21

an - I would "think" that the pack is either too loose or you've packed it in a way / with stuff that contributes to the rubbing. 

I normally have to adjust my pack as the run progresses as it becomes lighter / less bulky. Every time I start a new run I think I've put on a load of weight because I have to loosen the straps 

I guess having the pack too tight could also cause friction, as could certain types of clothing. I remember my old Raidlight pack combined with a Nike waterproof jacket used to destroy my back! 

18/06/2014 at 13:49

SAFER: Once the rubbed areas have healed I would try it on some shorter runs (an hour or so to start with) and adjust as needed until you find what level of tightness works.

I also suggest that when you use it for a long run you should apply lots of glide stick on all the areas where you have learned that it rubs, BEFORE the run...

Edited: 18/06/2014 at 13:49
18/06/2014 at 14:18

SAFER: If it was doing that to me, I would assume that it doesn't fit and be looking for something else! The odd small rub here and there is to be expected, but if it didn't feel as though you had it abnormally tight, then with problems like that it sounds like a different pack might be better for you!

18/06/2014 at 14:23

these ultralight running packs don't really have much in the way of adjustment.  They do come in various sizes, it sounds like it's a little on the loose side if it keeps rubbing.

18/06/2014 at 16:18

Thanks Cragchick, what is this sleep you speak of?

Managed to plod my way around the sdw100 last weekend, so you're right, its possible ????

GKD
18/06/2014 at 16:53
Sub 24 isn't exactly a plod Tom ,)
GKD
18/06/2014 at 17:02

You should have seen those last 20 miles! Cheers Gary, it was good to see you.

18/06/2014 at 21:46

Was going to say the same thing Tom, hardly a plod! Really well done on your result

GKD sorry dont think I said hi this time, you probably got to our CP at one of the many busy points! we were at CP1 & CP4 this time How was your race/time on this one?

18/06/2014 at 23:06

Thanks all, gonna try it a bit tighter next time. Thanks for the advice.

18/06/2014 at 23:10

2nd ultra on Saturday 111km / 69m  

19/06/2014 at 00:30

Hey Cheesy, it was great to see you and Roni again. CP1 looked mega busy! That ice-cream at CP4 was awesome. GKD was volunteering at this one rather than running it, kit-check and CP3 I think. I can't tell you all what a boost it is to see familiar friendly faces on the course. 

19/06/2014 at 07:54

Tiago: well done at SDW100.

booktrunk: good luck for Saturday.

Meanwhile, I've now managed seven miles in one run and my legs are beginning to remember what they're suppose to do. Next I have to remind them about hills...

19/06/2014 at 12:45

BT, hope it goes well for you  which one is it?

Tom: ah that would be why I didnt see him! CP1 was just manic, it was over so quickily after Stuart and Mark went through, it seemed that everyone just descended on us! CP4 was busy, but rest spells to restock were welcome too! Glad you liked the ice cream, although it was more like milkshake with the heat... 

DB: glad things are starting to work again 

19/06/2014 at 13:07

The Wall, a bit commercial, but a friendly bunch on their Facebook group  

19/06/2014 at 14:02

Hope tapers have gone well and good luck to everyone who is racing in the next couple of weeks.

Well done Tiago - sounds an excellent effort to me!

Glad to hear that you are getting going again Debra - it has been a long hard road!

23/06/2014 at 21:41

Help..Can anyone direct me to an Ultra Training program....what do you guys follow???? want to do THE WALL next year

23/06/2014 at 22:01

This 

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Ultramarathon_Training_Plans

or this 

http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-50m.asp

lots of other out there, I think most end up making their own plans up cherry picking bits they like plus bits from what they've read themselves. 

Get some real long training runs in, and also do some very, very long days walking they will also hold you in good stead. 

Not that many hills but there are about 4 big arse stubborn hills in the wall. 

Edited: 23/06/2014 at 22:01
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.