wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

8,101 to 8,107 of 8,107 messages
04/02/2016 at 11:16

Interesting calculator but it only has an option for minute(s) walking. I made a spread sheet myself but I never use it anymore

Good luck everyone

While training for longer distances, take a look at Maffetone and training on heart rate too. I did that for the last 18 months and with great results.

04/02/2016 at 11:30
RunningMax wrote (see)

Interesting calculator but it only has an option for minute(s) walking. I made a spread sheet myself but I never use it anymore

Good luck everyone

While training for longer distances, take a look at Maffetone and training on heart rate too. I did that for the last 18 months and with great results.

That's what i'm trying to do now RunningMax.  Been trying to stick with it since late in October... Managed my most miles in 15 months last month... Just hoping to get another consistent couple of months in then will use April as a 4 week speed block, to try and get a bit of speed as well, and then back to MAF until end of August.

04/02/2016 at 11:38

Hiya! That sounds good but.... I am now even capable of doing interval training within MAF. Do you run continuously on MAF? I always ran with RWR and found that my HR as too high. I started running continously again with the low heart rate. Later I started varying. RWR on low heart rate would make it possible to run faster etc. So I varied with distances ec but kept my heart rate low. I would never add  a 4 week speed block since you would only ruin your aerobic endurance build up. Don't worry, I now know that I am really faster without having done speedwork (let alone 4 weeks). Give it time and don't be afraid you loose speed. You won't On the contrary. It is just in your head

Did 33 miles yesterday. Slow and easy. Did not want to stop at all. Will go out again today. That is what is running al about Be good for your body

04/02/2016 at 11:38

Due to my change of diet to low carb high fat I have also been doing some zone 2 training, based on perceived effort rather than using an actual heart rate monitor. Walking in deep mud, up steep hills though has forced me out of zone 2 though and it's not been possible to go any slower and lower my heart rate ! After a few weeks of low energy levels I'm now starting to feel the benefits of it though. My long run last weekend was fasted and I didn't need to take on any fuel until mile 15. I managed 58 miles last week and that's pretty good for me.

BT - only 6 weeks to HM55, how is your training going ? 

04/02/2016 at 11:44

@ carterusm: ofcourse a steep hill or mud makes a difference  you can allow some more heart beats. But it WILL get better but think in a year training minimal and now weeks or months. I did not eat anything during my 33 miles yesterday. I am an efficient fatburner now too with the proper training and food guidelines

04/02/2016 at 12:18

caretusm: Well..... not brilliant my MCL is still screwed, My Doctor has written to my local hospital who has a knee team, and asked them if they will do an MRI of my knee.  so fingers crossed i'm getting somewhere.

I'm doing as much MAF training as my knee will allow it's low mileage for most ultra runners, but for me it's pretty good.  Managed 50km each week this year, which for me is good.  Last two weekends in Feb i'm going to do long back to back walks and runs.

Then just wing it and see what happens on the day.  Half an hour ahead of the cut off at the end of the day would do me fine

04/02/2016 at 12:21

RunningMax: Cheers for the advice.  I think i'll go with that, basically i've got London Marathon and Milton Keynes marathon the week after, which I guess are my two short / fast events for the year

I was kidding myself about trying to put in a slightly respectable performance for at least one of the two but i think you are right and i'll just stick with MAF and maybe treat myself to going over / slightly harder just for these events but not in training for them.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8,101 to 8,107 of 8,107 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.