wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

8,161 to 8,180 of 8,295 messages
18/07/2014 at 21:19

Just take it slow and steady. On the site above they also do a 100m plan, just do it as km's instead of miles  

Edited: 18/07/2014 at 22:05
18/07/2014 at 23:00

Thank you,much  appreciated 

19/07/2014 at 22:00

Chiltern Ultra 50k Successfully completed. Started in drizzle but the heatwave soon kicked in. Very hilly and plenty of mud and stinging nettles. Last 5 miles were a struggle. Slower than I hoped but still 1st VW50. Great cakes!!

20/07/2014 at 13:59

Congratulations Fairyclogs. What's next?

20/07/2014 at 14:20

Hello...am hitting the big 50 next year so want to mark it by doing an ultra. Any suggestions? I'm a back of the field marathon plodder (e.g. 4.57 for Portsmouth Marathon), getting back to running after injury and got a couple planned this year (Pompey again and probably Jurassic Coast if I can get the mileage up to the right level). The other thing is I'd like to do it for charity (Cancer Research or Macmillans), so whilst maybe doing a 50k would be sensible, I'd also like to do something that would potentially get the sponsorship money in. Looking at Race to the Stones (on today I see!) or possibly Hadrian's Wall. Oh another thing - I live on the south coast and a 17 mile training can have a total elevation of around 30 feet!

Any recommendations appreciated (even if it's don't do it until you can do a quicker marathon!)

21/07/2014 at 10:59

Richard - that's the best thing about Ultras - you're allowed to plod!  

Opinions vary greatly on the ultras you've mentioned, so have a look at forums or eg FB Ultra Running Community to get a general idea. 

If you're a slower runner though, I'd suggest that you look if any of the races you might enter have cut-off times.  I know XNRG don't - they do multi-day events and you can set off early and either walk, another time (an hour later) is for plodding runners and then another hour later the elite runners start - I've done a few of their events and really enjoyed them.

Hopefully other people will chip in with ideas.

Good luck with it all and your fund raising.  Take home message though - get yourself booked on one!  If you're planning for next year, there's plenty of time to train.

21/07/2014 at 11:00

Oh, and Fairyclogs - great result!  I did it too.  Hot or what?

21/07/2014 at 13:47

Congrats Fc  

RW26, dont worry about a faster marathon time, but work on getting more time on your feet. Slow Steady time will benefit you more at this point, if you cant do the distance, the time wont matter! Try and build some Back to Back runs in too, just dont build up too quickly, slow can still cause damage from overuse.

Where are you that you can do 17 miles with 30ft?

21/07/2014 at 14:06

Well done FC and Richyla on the Chiltern 50.

I have my first ultra coming up in a couple of weeks time, the Long Tour of Bradwell 50k. The compulsory kit list states I must carry a hat and gloves. Obviously, the weather at the moment is rather hot so is there any chance the organizers might say it's OK not to carry certain items if the weather is good or is it always going to be a case that if it the rules says compulsory then it's compulsory ? 

The race is in the Peak District and a lot of the course is on technical, rocky trails. I have been doing my training runs in some Inov-8 Roclites but my feet are really sore towards the end of the runs (due to the rocky surface). I am planning on doing my final long run on Saturday in some Adidas Kanadias and I'm hoping they won't be as bad on my feet. However, I'm not sure if these will be classed as suitable for such terrain by the organizers. Is there a list of shoes that are acceptable when running in a races on certain terrain ? 

21/07/2014 at 14:41

Carter: if they say its compulsory, then you possibly risk a DQ   Check with them directly and get a definate yes or no. If its a weight thing, will a buff for a hat and light gloves be ok.

Cant help with the shoes, I only have TrailRocs and Mudclaws to draw experience from.

21/07/2014 at 14:57

Carter - usually if there's a compulsory kit list, it's for a good reason - I'm guessing the Peaks' weather can change rapidly.  You can get micro fleece gloves and hat which weigh almost nothing, so they shouldn't really be a problem.

I'll echo C-BtbM's comment regarding shoes - can't help you there, only you know what's comfortable.  But if the Race Organisers are worth their salt, then you should be able to contact them and they will answer your questions.

Good luck though and enjoy it!

21/07/2014 at 15:24

Thanks Richyla and LNandB. An enjoyable foray into the world of ultras. Have 3 trail marathons in August and then considering the Longman 33.4 miler on 7th Sept. Two more trail mara's in Sept then back to a speedy road attempt in Oct. My best advice for trail running in summer is to wear compression or long socks. Corn fields and stinging nettles are not your friends. Enjoy!!

21/07/2014 at 15:31

Thanks for the comments CheesyRider & Richyla - I live in Portsmouth - very flat - so anything different takes some getting used to. I thought the London Marathon was quite hilly!

I like the idea of slow running being seen as a positive! Will get something booked - Isle of Wight circuit looks a good one as well as the others, will do some more research and then get it booked

21/07/2014 at 22:58
Shower cap and latex gloves nice and light
22/07/2014 at 16:04

Richard - you could try looking at the LDWA as well. Great events with awesome food, very good value for money and as they are primarily for walkers (but welcome runners, of whom there are plenty, at their challenge events) the cut offs are very generous so it takes any pressure off regarding time.

29/07/2014 at 22:08

I'm currently in training for my first 50 miler in September. I believe some people don't think it's necessary to do back to back runs but I thought I would give it a go anyway. I was thinking to start with maybe a 2 and a 4 hour back to back run. Which would benefit me most, doing the 2 hour followed by the 4 hour, or vice versa or doesn't it make any difference either way ? Cheers

29/07/2014 at 23:21

Longer run first. Otherwise you aren't really tired which is the whole point of doing them. 

I've done a few and cannot decide if they are brilliant or if running slightly longer in one day, and forcing myself to go quicker over the last hour has a similar effect. 

02/08/2014 at 18:54

Hi all

Like RW26 I'm hitting the big 50 nest year so best mate from school and I have just signed up to our first ultra - The Wall Run (which seemed appropriate since it is on her birthday and there wasn't one on mine!)

Have run marathons before but now need to start to think about how to train etc for longer distance so very grateful for all advice to newbie (& slightly scared!) wanabee ultra-runner!

02/08/2014 at 19:01

there is quite a lot of road and not much trail in the wall, so unless it rains daily for a month you will be fine doing it in road shoes, there are two or three short but very steep hills. So don't overtrain on trails for it, as it's much more of a road event especially in the second half of the race. 

The roads are quite hard as you are going along Buddhism roads in the evening/dark unless you are quick so don't skimp on lighting, make sure you have properly good head torches. 

02/08/2014 at 19:25

Thanks - we won't be quick so good head torches it is! - finishing is the aim, time is irrelevant (well, other than sub 24hrs so we don't get DQd!) 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.