wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

8,241 to 8,260 of 8,313 messages
30/08/2014 at 09:20
Just got over one of those before the same race. It wasn't nice and very frustrating and I may have jumped back into things a bit too quickly in preparation for my goal race. I get the feeling its slowly shutting down on me so a week of enforced rest it is.
I found it hard myself but you've just got to try and get out a keep the fitness up somehow.
30/08/2014 at 12:01

Hi Cheesy.  Yes, ditch the fructose - well known to cause stomach issues.  And go steady on the fruit given out at CPs e.g. orange segments.  Bananas seem to be OK though.  Great tip for a solution to nausea!  As long as you can get more food in quickly.  The secret is never to let your stomach empty and choosing things you can tolerate.

For energy drink I use my own concoction that never gives me nausea unlike the commercial products.

My next is Brecon Beacons 10Peaks week today.  At 59 miles this will be right at the edge of my self-imposed limit of 60 miles.

31/08/2014 at 15:17

Fairyclogs: sympathies. At least they showed up on x-ray, so you know what you're dealing with. Also, that should be 6-8 weeks off, you should be able to keep up most of your fitness by swimming, and once thee bones have mended then they are mended, generally, (unlike tendons which require lots of rehab physio etc.) so it could be a lot worse.

I highly recommend volunteering at your local parkrun and/or local races while you can't run. Much more positive than sitting at home moping!

31/08/2014 at 16:59

Thanks Debra. As you say it could be so much worse. Already part of the great parkrun community at Bedfont Lakes and on volunteer roster for the next 5 weeks.I am holding off cancelling my hotel for Beachy Head marathon on 25th Oct in the vain hope that I might at least be able to walk it!!  7 weeks any chance???

31/08/2014 at 21:26

It seems a bit risky, yes it might be fine, but if so it will be something like at best your first week back, maybe a gentler introduction? I'm not very good at coping with small injuries, and end up half the time tweaking a muscle almost straight away when back running because I've not built up again slowly enough. 

01/09/2014 at 08:28

Hello all HELP!

Main target for me next year is TP100 (my first 100) so want a 50 miler ish as part of training I now have an issue which I think others will also

Glasgow Edinburgh ultra v SDW50 which look like they are going to be on the same day. SDW will sell out this week I think so time to decide. I have asked 2 ultra runners  score 1/1 so any views would be great.

I live in the middle of the country so both are difficult especially over Easter weekend. That would have decided for me but may make some decision easier.

Thanks

01/09/2014 at 09:32

how about the country to capital in January 2015, 45 miles?

01/09/2014 at 10:32

SDW will be well organised and the aid stations well stocked. Except in truly foul weather conditions (2013!) the course should be easy to follow and much of it should be runnable (SDW undulations are less steep than NDW50 and lots less steep than Lakeland 50). Mostly wide bridleways/footpaths.

No knowledge of Glasgow Edinburgh.

Meanwhile, I am going to be sensible and NOT book for any ultras for next year at this stage. My longest run so far has been a mere nine miles, so I have a way to go in building back to decent distances. At least I -am- running. Was in Edinburgh for a conference over last week so I got some good hill work in going up and down Arthur's Seat most mornings, and the ankle was fine with that. Onward!

11/09/2014 at 10:17

Hi Guys, Thinking of doign teh 2 Oceans in SA next year for Cancer Charity. I am a keen runner but only ever dont up to Marathon distance. ANy ideas on stepping up te distance and what plans i would need? Help much appreciated 

11/09/2014 at 12:40

Brizo, you can't really do better than reading through this thread from the beginning! Yes, a bit of a mammoth undertaking, but there is a wealth of information in here. Also, have a look at http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/training/index.html for numerous training plans, articles and tips.

12/09/2014 at 13:23

Cheers LNandB, just wanted a bit of general info on itto start. LIkei said i have ran a few marathons it just the ramp u a bit more on the miles

12/09/2014 at 13:29

Seconding LNandB's recommendations. In brief, slow down and run further. And practice eating and running - preferably practice eating what will be available on the day. Some of us like to use back-to-back long runs in our training, others don't.

12/09/2014 at 13:36

Is it 56km Brizo?

If so then that's not to bad about 35m you might be able to do it with pretty much marathon training,  but, stretching out the amount of LSRs and upping them to 25m plus maybe do one at 26/27m and one around 29/30m 

Edited: 12/09/2014 at 13:43
14/09/2014 at 22:36

Why you should NOT take up ultra running. http://www.ultrajunkies.com/5-reasons-take-ultra-marathon-running/

15/09/2014 at 19:17

Is one of the reasons people plugging their own websites?

15/09/2014 at 19:45

+1 

You are called ultrajunkies you are a plural? 

19/09/2014 at 07:13

Can anyone suggest when to start training properly for Country To Capital 75km ultra in Jan 17th / 2015 - Also can anyone suggest a good training plan! I am really trying to strengthen my core, currently with 2 big 1.75km - 2.5km swims per week, currently only running around 20 miles and doing the odd half marathon, If I start training properly late November ( i am in Peru until Nov 22nd ), is that going to be enough time to get in top shape for the Ultra, I also have Tokyo marathon 4 weeks after, super excited about going to Tokyo!!!!!!

19/09/2014 at 09:13

Gives you around 10 weeks... if you think that's long enough to get you around 75km going to have a quick jump up in your mileage but you still have your fitness from your last ultra.

If you are targeting the Tokyo marathon, then maybe treat the ultra as a looooong LSR for Tokyo as you'll be able to do a 14 week plan for Tokyo so maybe do a high mileage training plan for Tokyo and semi just wing it on your Ultra as a very slow LSR for Tokyo?

19/09/2014 at 09:36
When you put it like that 10 weeks doesn't sound very long at all!!!! Should have my base fitness still from my 50km ultra in august ???

Bit worried about over doing it on the ultra then maybe having an injury for Tokyo!? For the 75km is was just hoping to complete, so really slow plodding pace, with run / walk all the way!

Strange looking back on my training, as this year was my first marathon and previously i'd only done on half marathon, this year I have completed 6 half marathons, one full marathon and one 50 km ultra! Wondering if I am not ready for a 75km yet.....?
19/09/2014 at 09:47

I think you're leaving it a bit late not starting training until near the end of November. I'd start fitting in some longer runs now, if I was you. 75K is not much less than 50 miles; if you look at http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-50m.asp that should give you an idea of training. Of course, everyone varies and schedules are a good indication rather than rules to be followed rigidly, but if you don't get some miles on your legs then I think it's unlikely you're going to come through the 75K in a fit state to run a marathon four weeks later.

An alternative would be to train for your marathon, get in some long days out walking as well and aim for a run-walk strategy with plenty of walking for Country to Capital?

8,241 to 8,260 of 8,313 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.