wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

8,241 to 8,246 of 8,246 messages
30/11/2016 at 01:26

OK - forget the mud.  We're looking at ice now....

30/11/2016 at 06:57
I am watching the weather with interest.... so far, getting colder, but sunnier.
01/12/2016 at 02:26

I think you're going to really enjoy yourself out there.  Choice of shoes is going to be a big factor.  You'll have to leave it to the last minute to decide. (I assume like most trail runners you've got multiple pairs looking for that elusive 'right shoe'!)

Unlike their Flete ultra I don't think you've got any river crossings.  That one had 600m of estuary to cross - fortunately I arrived just about at low tide so got away with it quite lightly.  Would be a bit chilly this weather ...

01/12/2016 at 07:36
Have to say that the Cascadia is really comfortable on longer runs.
I've never put it through its paces in the mud though as it's been so dry this autumn
The Salomon is a great shoe for the mud, and I've Changed sizes to try and get it comfortable. But, gonna stick with the Brooks for now!
01/12/2016 at 11:03

Good luck for the EL Ultra - I imagine your quads may complain the following week!

Re MAF, I can attest it's good for injury avoidance and recovery. I'm apparently porcelain, but on MAF I've been able to run more regularly and even back to back days, which for me is unheard of. I can't say I've seen a big hike in pace for the nominated HR, but my long run is getting longer for the same HR and I can tell easily when I'm getting to my endurance limit as it becomes increasingly difficult to keep the HR below the MAF limit without grinding to a halt - a useful indicator. I've only done 20 MAF runs and I do include the odd parkrun or hilly run to keep my interest up, but I'd say 80% of the time on my feet is at MAF limit or below. I'll stick with it until the end of January for certain, then look at adding some speed.

I've supplemented my running with a gym session each week too, as the MAF runs work like recovery runs post-gym, which I think is also helping the injury-prevention.

03/12/2016 at 23:07

Come in, mascott.  You OK?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8,241 to 8,246 of 8,246 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.