wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

81 to 100 of 8,295 messages
13/08/2011 at 12:17
loulabel, you asked me my 10k time - I'll tell you in a few weeks after my next race. I am still battling with getting the pacing right, I either run too fast and panic myself into thinking I'll probably have a heart attack then slow down too much and have to fight to get the pace back up again., or run too slowly thinking I'll save my self. None of this applies in the longer runs as you have plently of time to even the pace out - I think that why I loathe 10k's or less so much, come to think of it, why do I even run them at all? Clearly something wrong with me.
13/08/2011 at 12:32
ooo no, nothing wrong, 10k is a good base to build upon for further distance. but i too panic about not being quick enough at the start, so i used to go off like a rocket and be in real pain with a stitch at 3miles!...ive since had to be really strict and tell myself to run my own race. my 10k is at about 52 mins but im trying to get sub50...although my focus  is now on longer runs , im still trying to lose that last 2mins off my 10k-lol....
13/08/2011 at 17:36
Oh dear, just back from 18miles- knackered, and to think I'm volunteering to run almost twice that far!!- 12 weeks to get into shape!
13/08/2011 at 18:43
18 is fab...i think that too tricialitt...i finish and then think...oh god id have to do double that!!!
14/08/2011 at 11:05

Now -questions- I used a camelback yesterday, fine for the fluids, and room in the pockets for mobile, keys, jellies, small bottles of smotthie to drink en route. (I think I'll try Frijj in them next time). The race info says - full waterproof clothes, wooly hat & gloves, they'll give you a map. - I think I'll need a bigger pack to carry these. What do people usually do?- are there camelback style sacs which also have more room for "stuff" ,or do you sually wear a "proper" rucksac?

14/08/2011 at 11:15
I use the Decathlon 10L version of a Camelbak that has a 1.5L bladder and enough room to store: hat, gloves, waterproof top and bottom, spare base layers, food and gels

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/diosaz-10-raid-67869748/#
(sorry, can't do links in Chrome)

I did buy some extra pockets which I can attach around the front of the waist band - these are easier to access being around the front too.
14/08/2011 at 13:03

100 miles in 25:48 with 10600ft elevation at NDW100

I am in pieces

Unfortunately this is addictive

14/08/2011 at 13:38
Veggie, an awesome achievement. Well done! Officially 29 weeks till TP100?

those looking for an ultra sack, check out inov8. I run with their 20l pack which has a 2l bladder whichbhugs your waist. Far more comfort than one that bounces on the back, and really good value too. I've done ultras and training runs with mine for 4 years now and as good as new. Can't rate it highly enough.
14/08/2011 at 15:43
i have a eurohike backpack which is fine for me as im only very small, but that has waist strap too to stop it bouncing about evrywhere..i can fit a spare outfit in and it has extra pockets on the side for more food etc..its fine for 50k but for a longer event i think id need a bigger size backpack..just not sure how much weight i can carry AND run far..im only 6st 5 myself..the bag will be heavier than me soon !!....any other ladies have this problem?
14/08/2011 at 15:44

veggieboy....how is your body? still intact?

what was the event like? tell more details pleease...i like to hear of these events..

14/08/2011 at 15:54

Body is fine

Feet are like a war zone - I have a 3 inch blister on the pad of each foot and I will lose at least 5 toenails

Just about to go off swimming with the kids. One look at my feet and the pool should clear

Wil report on this fantastic race later in the week

Edited: 14/08/2011 at 15:55
14/08/2011 at 16:09

Tricia - I have a  Radlight backpack, has a botte on the side so fine as long as there will be water top up points, find it pretty comfy. Never used a camelback type pack but I've only done two short ultras so far.

Veggie - Well done - that sounds impressive!

14/08/2011 at 16:45
veggieboy wrote (see)

Feet are like a war zone - I have a 3 inch blister on the pad of each foot and I will lose at least 5 toenails

Just about to go off swimming with the kids. One look at my feet and the pool should clear

14/08/2011 at 19:40

Oh dear to the feet- I was reading one of the other threads, and the damage seems inevitable once you get into the >50 mile range- I am hoping that a change of socks +/- shoes at the half way point of a 33 miler will  avoid too much devastation- I'm usually not too bad, although I do get rather macerated toes if it's at all wet underfoot..........................and my race is in november, in the west of scotland- OMG, what am I thinking?

I had foot trouble at the last Loch Ness I did , 'cos there was standing water , which I ran through, and got wet feet early on, got blisters underthe balls of my feet- had to pull over at about 18 miles- the first aid guys did an amazing job of taping them- I would have given £100 to anyone who could have given me dry socks at that stage- lesson learned!

Looking forwards to the full report on the 100 miler- now THAT is what you call long distance- I doubt I'll ever go to that extreme- but then 7 years ago I'd never run a 10k, and now look at me!

14/08/2011 at 19:52
I'm interested in the foot taping thing... How much tape and how is I'd applied?
15/08/2011 at 20:14

Loulabell

You could probably get a pack that was a lot lighter than the Eurohike one, while still having more capacity.  The most important advice is always to try it on before you buy it, and ask the shop assistant to stuff it full of old carrier bags to give it a more realistic feel.  Fit is as important in a pack as in a pair of shoes. 

I have also done the NDW 100, and have written my observations in the relevant thread.  I am sure that Vegie Boy's report will be more detailed though. 

16/08/2011 at 09:29

Mr F...as far as foot taping goes, there's a really good book called "Fixing Your Feet" by John Vonhof. Covers everything from coping with "hot spots" and preventative taping, to taping blisters if you leave it too late (also covers footwear choice, socks and the basics). Very good and covers the majority of issues that you'll come across. 

Got mine from Amazon.

16/08/2011 at 17:26

race report is here if you want the full grizzly details

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80804&start=0

first post is my report, later post covers my training, nutrition and equipment

16/08/2011 at 17:27

Grum

Have just found that book on line

Will defo be ordering

16/08/2011 at 17:59
Ben Davies 15 wrote (see)

Loulabell

You could probably get a pack that was a lot lighter than the Eurohike one, while still having more capacity.  The most important advice is always to try it on before you buy it, and ask the shop assistant to stuff it full of old carrier bags to give it a more realistic feel.  Fit is as important in a pack as in a pair of shoes. 

I have also done the NDW 100, and have written my observations in the relevant thread.  I am sure that Vegie Boy's report will be more detailed though. 

thanks ben, the eurohike is the ladies aqua4 so not too big at all for me..i am a tad worried about how my feet will survive ultras...i was a dancer though in a former life so black n bruised toenails were the norm as were blisters...but reading the above experiences it sounds like its going to get nasty
81 to 100 of 8,295 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.