wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

101 to 120 of 8,276 messages
17/08/2011 at 08:53

Veggieboy

It's a really good book. I think the guy helps out at aid stations for Badwater and the like so really knows his stuff. I also never knew that there were so many ways to protect against blisters!

17/08/2011 at 10:08

I have ordered it today

Next purchase will be some debris gaiters

18/08/2011 at 16:10
anyone seen the druid ultra challenge in november in oxfordshire?....looks ok
18/08/2011 at 17:24
thanks for the advice <a href="http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/localiser/member.asp?sp=&v=1&MemNo=531201" title="Visit loulabell member profile">loulabell</a> yes it is a huge leap,but between now and then im hoping to do a half marathon and maybe a full too,i guess i just liked the sound of it all,plus its my home country so would be kind of nice to connect with it again
18/08/2011 at 22:37
Loula - That looks like fun! So which year are you planning it for? I might join you.
19/08/2011 at 09:57
*facepalm* that will teach me for trying to be clever,and not using my glasses
19/08/2011 at 11:00
I've done the Druids' twice.  Great friendly event, only downside is that if the weather has been wet then end of day 1 and start of day 2 can mean ploddding through heavy clay mud.
19/08/2011 at 13:53
oh dear I think after reading this thread I may try for an ultra!

i'm doing 2 marathons in October so think I will just continue and train for a 30 or 33 mile race after then see how it goes!

However am only up to 14 mile distance on my LSRs with only 8 weeks to marathon to go - training not going well!
19/08/2011 at 14:36

runspundrun

That's not a problem. 

If you can stretch your LSR out to 18 miles over the next few weeks, you will be fine.  I suggest that you peak at 18-20 miles three weeks before the marathon, then drop down to 15 miles for the long run two weeks before the marathon.  After that just do as little as possible to let your body recover. 

The act of running the first marathon will ensure a significant boot in performance for the second.  After that we can talk ultras!

19/08/2011 at 18:19

top report, veggie boy- it's good to know that you can get running again, even if you think you can't even stand/ walk- hope the feet are recovering by now. I can't even contemplate what 100 miles must be like!

Blisters under toenails is a big problem for me too= I get at least 3 every time I do a marathon, so I imagine it might be a probelm during the longer races. For the marathons they are only a problem the moment I finish, and going up by a size in shoes has certainly helped.

Runspudrun- try going slower on your LSR's. it will help with building distance- plus "time in feet" is more important than distance covered.

I've done no running to speak of at more than marathon pace, but I'm managing much bigger mileages than I used to, and recovering quicker- my marathon is 6 weeks away, and I'm going to try to pick the pace up a little ( not least because I have a half in 2 weeks), but I'm more concerned with endurance than pace, I alsways run too fast in the marathon anyway, and I presume that in an ultra the effect of an early burst of pace would be pretty ghastly in the longer run ( so to speak!)

19/08/2011 at 19:31
Chilibean wrote (see)
Loula - That looks like fun! So which year are you planning it for? I might join you.

hello chili!!! *waves* come join me my lickle fwiend....yes yes do the druid ru  wiv meeeeeee pleeeasseeeeeeeeee.....i think we may have to opt for next year chili...blimey im losing count of what we are signing up for ....IM, JW, druids..you doing Kielder..... erm....dyu think we can do it?
19/08/2011 at 19:32
Bear B.Hind wrote (see)
I've done the Druids' twice.  Great friendly event, only downside is that if the weather has been wet then end of day 1 and start of day 2 can mean ploddding through heavy clay mud.

bear b hind.....do you HAVE to do BOTH days?
19/08/2011 at 19:33
runspudrun wrote (see)
oh dear I think after reading this thread I may try for an ultra!

i'm doing 2 marathons in October so think I will just continue and train for a 30 or 33 mile race after then see how it goes!

However am only up to 14 mile distance on my LSRs with only 8 weeks to marathon to go - training not going well!

hi runspudrun..i agree with tricia..go slower and you will find your endurance eeks out just that bit further...and each week go a mile more....soon upto 18miles
20/08/2011 at 08:22
Thanks guys for your advice! I'm gonna peak at 20 miles now and will probably run my first marathon slower and go for time on my second. Then I'll be on for an ultra!!
20/08/2011 at 09:48
any ultras in mind runspudrun?
20/08/2011 at 20:19

Just back from holiday, spent a lovely week at Rutland Lake and managed a 18 miler around the lake, beautiful place.

Loulabell, I assume you've found the link to the London Ultra 50k ?, if not here it is -> http://www.ultrarace.co.uk/events/details/?eventid=111

Regarding the backpack discussion, I've opted for the Camelbak Octane 24. 3 litres with plenty of space for the extras.

Edited: 20/08/2011 at 20:20
24/08/2011 at 07:15
hi stefkirl..the lake run you did sounds lovely....weather becoming autumnal very quickly now i notice..i really like Autumn though...and even winter running produces spectacular scenery on early a.m runs.......who prefers winter runs to warm weather runs?
24/08/2011 at 07:23

Winter all the way for me

Most of my running is commuting to work setting out at about 5.30 in the morning

Last winter the water in my hydration pack tube froze a few times!

24/08/2011 at 07:38
veggieboy wrote (see)

Last winter the water in my hydration pack tube froze a few times!

....i was out other day running and had a thought about that , as i have not yet run with a pack during winter. last year i was nowhere near higher mileage OR thinking about ultras....i had the odd thought that just putting warm water or tea in it might be nice...a:to stop it freezing up           b: something nice to drink       c: keeps your back warm!!

24/08/2011 at 07:39
or hot chocolate !!!!!!!! nom nom
101 to 120 of 8,276 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.