wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

141 to 160 of 8,254 messages
30/08/2011 at 19:00

Spoke to the chappy organising it and he said it will be at the same time in 2012 as it was in 2011, he expects to have the updated entry form etc done in about a week.

The temp shouldn't be an issue in Barca at that time of year, but fair one on the humidity. I sweat like a scoucer in the dock irrespective of conditions and am therefore never far separated from my 3L camelbak so I recon I should be ok but cheers for the heads up.

Might take some isotonic tablets with...

Edited: 30/08/2011 at 19:06
01/09/2011 at 14:45

Joining in a bit late. Another "would like to ultra" here - ever since I read about the Lakeland 50 a few months ago. Longest race so far is HM - done a bit further in training (maybe 15 miles). Been recovering from injury so building up slowly, but I'm at nearly 30 miles/week with a 11 mile long run, so far. Intending to keep increasing mileage gradually (with some easier weeks), then go for the back-to-back weekend long runs, and see how I go.

Any suggestions for starter-ultras? I live Kent/south-east London, unfortunately (so my Lake District training is going to be limited). I did wonder about the London 50K, but I'm not sure I can be ready for February if I'm going to continue being sensible about building up my mileage slowly (four months off with extensor tendonitis & stress fracture has me not wanting to repeat that sort of injury). I'd been thinking maybe aim for a spring marathon, summer 50K, then a 40M or flat 50M before training for the Lakeland 50 in 2013. Sensible (as far as ultra running is sensible)?

01/09/2011 at 16:10
50 Mile Challenge at Marshside Kent is a good friendly starter.  It is held mid July and on a relatively flat mixed surface. It consists of 8 laps of about 6.5 miles.  You do not have to do the full distance and there are medals for 30 and 40 miles finishers as well.
01/09/2011 at 17:10
8 laps?????????????????
01/09/2011 at 17:11
hi Debra, your training/races sounds same as mine.....how about jw ultra next sept?
01/09/2011 at 20:05
JW Ultra sounds like a possibility - or I may look for something earlier than that (or both). Thinking of looking for a charity place for Brighton (my running club will be doing marathon training leading up to London; I might as well take advantage of it), try to get some solid grounding for the next few months (maybe add some back-to-back long runs in), then go for ultra after that.
01/09/2011 at 20:30
loulbell - not as bad as it seems - it means you can dump your gear, or just dump, at the start/finish point so don't have the worry of what to carry, where is the nearest loo/bush stop.  Really friendly marshals en route and Mike - the organiser - is a great bloke.
01/09/2011 at 21:58

Debra Bourne

The London ultra is a good starter event with just about every terrain type.  If you are not ready for it then there are a number of nice events close to where you live going into the spring/summer. 

The Compton Downland Challenge in April is a nice event, and well suited to preparing for the Lakeland 50. 

The Northants ultra 35 in June was my first ultra and is a good starter ultra.  Both of these events are well suited to developing the skills and tactics that you would use in longer events. 

There are pleanty more, but I have only commented on events that I have personally done. 

02/09/2011 at 08:00
the northants ultra maybe a good one for me, as relativly nearby...and may consider Kent though too
02/09/2011 at 11:59

i havn't run seriously for about 6 years or so, wanted get back into it with a goal and only ever done loads of 10k and half marathons...oh and one marathon.

so as a challenge i've put in for the druids challenge.......i know, its a tough one apparently?

loving the training and learning how my body reacts....nutrition and loads of hills and miles.

good luck  

02/09/2011 at 19:47
Just catching up with this thread for some advice if poss, I have been running a few years now and after having a hamstring injury which has set me back a bit this year, I am building up my fitness again. I have done a few 10k's and half marathons (road) and the Yorkshireman half which was actually just over 15 miles last year which I loved, I am hill fit as me and the other half go into the hills in the lakes/snowdonia/alps fairly regularly but my dream really is to get into Ultras and a mountain marathon (my nav skills are good) but I don't know where to start.

I love being off road/trails but where we live is pretty flat so don't get much option to train on hills.

Can anyone recommend a good off road marathon, ultra for a novice, mountain marathon that would be a good starting point for me?, I don't want to aim too high too soon and take on something that is just beyond me. I reckon with my current fitness level I could probably run about 15 miles before burning out so know I would have to put the training in, I just want a few options of a good starting race to tackle, I have absolutely no interest in doing a road marathon (which is probably why I have never done one) but have always been nervous of taking on an off road mara for feeling I would be left for dust!

Meant to say, I live in Yorkshire so anything in this sort of area, North of England would be my idea
Edited: 02/09/2011 at 19:51
02/09/2011 at 20:21

rach72

I definitely understand where you are coming from when you say that you find city marathons a lot less interesting than off road events. 

There is a 35 miler coming up in Yorkshire called the Round Ripon.  While I have never done this event, I have participated in two by Go Beyond who run this event, and they were both verry well organised. 

If this is a bit too soon, then there is one coming up later in the year called the Rosedale Rumble, which has 27 and 40 mile options. 

02/09/2011 at 21:31
Would agree with previous post from Ben D. My first ultra was the Compton 40m and thought it to be an excellent intro to ultra's. Also Northants 35 was fun? and suitable for a first ultra. Most of the Coastal Trail Series now include an ultra, i ran the CTS Exmoor race and it was quite tough and expensive!

Also ran my first 100m, North Downs Way which was fantastic and want to do more 100's, addicted! They (Centurion Running) also had a 50m North Downs way run.

I love ultra's, you get to see the same faces and no one really cares about "times" and all that stuff, people are chilled , friendly and recognise the effort needed from every one taking part. Ive done my time (25yrs) on the road and now trail/ultra running has opened a new door for me and i love it!!! I hope you will also.

Enjoy!
02/09/2011 at 21:36

agree with how far

also did NDW 100

100's seem to be addictive

city marathons - done one done them all

02/09/2011 at 21:43
thanks guys, am going to look at the rosedale rumble, I'm glad to hear times aren't important, the yorkshireman 15 miler took me 2hrs 40 minutes last year (as opposed to my 1hr 57 sheffield half), I'm not obsessed by times at all but am a little concerned I am just not fast enough to take part in something like this, I enjoyed sheffield don't get me wrong, but I just love being in the hills, I love being away from it all and seeing parts of our beautiful country most people never bother to see, I love the solitariness of being in the middle of nowhere and love the challenge of a bit of an adventure!, we do go wild camping so I am at ease with 'roughing it', just not sure I have the stamina for these sorts of distances and don't want to make a fool of myself!
02/09/2011 at 21:50
Veggieboy hope you enjoyed the NDW100, i certainly did. Any plans for your next 100?
02/09/2011 at 22:24

Rach72

A lot of people on this site did nothing longer than a half marathon before their first ultra (me included).  That is honestly not an issue for a person who genuinely wants to do an ultra. 

Speed is about as much use as a spare set of eyebrows, in an ultra.  Only the elite ultra runners, conduct the race at the speed at which you would run at in a city marathon.  My (only) half marathon time before my first ultra was 1.54.  Absolutely everybody is slower in trail races than road events. 

Ultras are thinking races.  They take place in spectacular locations, require map reading skills, and getting good times depends mainly on pacing tactics. 

This might just be your scene.

03/09/2011 at 04:56
Doing Thames Path 100 next March, and possibly also The Oner in April
03/09/2011 at 11:05
+1 for what we're all saying about speed / times

I did my first marathon in Palma Oct'10 having only run a HM previously, then did:

The London Ultra 50k, (Feb'11)
The Cardiff Ultra 50-Miles (May '11)
Thunder Run 24 - 12 laps - 120k (July '11)
ULTRArace Peaks (August '11)

Loved them all...

Next year, I'm hoping to do the Al Andaulus Ultimate Trail - 260km over 5 days in Spain!
03/09/2011 at 20:20

Hi Rach

I'm doing Keilder 27 miles (Northumberland) on 9th October, so still enough time to get in a couple of weeks of longer runs if you fancy it. It's off road on the track around the lake. Short ups and downs and stunning screnery (as long as the weather is half decent).

This is my first long distance (haven't even done a half marathon!) but am so looking forward to it. Have never fancied a city based marathon. 

141 to 160 of 8,254 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.