wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

1 to 20 of 8,319 messages
06/08/2011 at 16:24

after running for 2 years im really keen to get into the wonderful world of ultra running. have heard so many lovely and great things about the groups that do these distances and wondered how many others would like  a 'newbie ultra' thread...

..im wanting to do JW ultra next year and have been looking at the Gloucester 50k...anyone else starting out in 'ultra world' and have a goal or ultra in their diary already?.......anyone experiencing mind boggling training and problems fitting in time to do it? im sure this will be one of my main problems.......

hands up who has done their first ultra and loved it-share  it please

06/08/2011 at 19:15

I am about to undertake my seventh ultra, but you never forget the first. 

The feeling of fulfilment on finishing your first is proportional to the challenge involved.  You know that you have done something that relatively few runners in the U.K have done.  You just don't get that sense of satisfaction from running a half marathon.  

Also you will never find a friendlier more inclusive group of people to run with.  The nature of ultras and the pace they are run at makes them much more social events. 

Be forewarned however that they are very addictive.  Once you have done one you will almost certainly want to do another!

06/08/2011 at 19:31
Hey,

Im looking at running an ultra and need to start training any ideas
GKD
06/08/2011 at 21:54
Run very far.HTH
GKD
06/08/2011 at 22:23
I"m going to dive in at the deep end and do Comrades next year
07/08/2011 at 10:17

JG.. this is one id like to do too...maybe not for a first ultra though........heat+distance=tricky!lol

ben, i know once ive done one i will be doing another, i have that sort of addictive nature....and yes ive heard that the groups are very sociable and close knit

07/08/2011 at 10:19

what distances have you done so far JG?

JB74...still up for JW ultra?

07/08/2011 at 10:25
Hi all

I did the Lightning Run as a soloist this year and am signed up for the Thames Path 100 next March.

I'd like to do JW as it's local to me.
07/08/2011 at 11:17

Just thinking about a 33mile race at Glen Ogle, which is being run this year for the first time. It's 5 weeks after Loch NEss marathon, which I'm doing as my 6th marathon. I don't know whether this is sensible, but I'm tempted. Can I alter my last 8 weeks marathon training to push towards the longer distance in november?- I'm already doing bigger mileage than I've ever done before, but by most folks standards, it's not much (30-35 miles per week).

Does anyone know of any traiing plans for 33mie ultras? Just so I can get an idea what's recommended for LSR distance.

07/08/2011 at 11:48
hi tricialitt, beacause i was thining of doung the Gloucester 50k i downloaded a female 50k ultra training plan yesterday...go to ''ultra ladies running club trail  50k event training schedule''- this has a table of weekly mileage and runs-doesnt look too scary until week 15!!
07/08/2011 at 11:49
<a title="ultra ladies running club trail 50k event training schedule" target="_blank">ultra ladies running club trail 50k event training schedule</a>.........not sure if this linky thing will work
07/08/2011 at 11:50
.....erm , no-lol..but if you type that into google ,it should find it
07/08/2011 at 11:58

Thanks- got it- looks like my marathon fits in nicely as a long trainig run- I'd need to go slower than planned for it, and just not really taper for it, and the thing looks do- able.

Ho hum..............how to break it to the other half?

07/08/2011 at 14:49

Helloooooooooooooo Loula...................

You really have got me tempted now but not for The 50k in January but maybe after my next mara. Will have a look at the training plan you mentioned....

Have all the ultra races got a time limit ??? Its the only thing puttin me off ....wouldn't like to go all that way for it not be recognised......LOL Suppose the challenge would be for me to get faster.....then I wouldn't need to worry about not meeting the cut off......

07/08/2011 at 16:19

well the Gloucester one has.. but i dont think JW has a cut off...i think on the results for Gloucester someone finished in 5:20..so does that mean no medal? as Ben said i thought the emphasis was on finishing, not just ontime goals....?

07/08/2011 at 16:27
I agree  it should be about finishing but I have read articles where people don't get a medal if they don't finish in the required time.
07/08/2011 at 16:38

hmm, thats a bit of a stinker , because people get a medal at london no matter what time they clock in....there is an article i kept from a  sunday magazine earlier in the year and i found it so inspirational...it was heart stopping..about the spartathalon .meant to be  the hardest ultra on earth, worse than des sables....hre is the link for anyone interested: its by a reporter called 'Robin Harvie' the article is called 'distance no object' and it was featured in the Telegraph magazine...the race is 152miles ..time limit..36hours....

07/08/2011 at 16:40

if you type into google bar' robin harvie distance no object article' it will appear

07/08/2011 at 22:46

Hi Loula

Mmmm, I'm so very, very tempted... but am waiting to see how my marathon goes in October. And then I'm kind of stuck on the IM tri next year. Can't really see beyond that at the moment.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to recover from an Ultra? And do folk run the whole way. Or do a run/walk combination?

Really do like the idea of Hadrians wall.... 

Oh, so much to do... and if I plan one big event each year it's going to take me a long time to do all these fun things!

07/08/2011 at 23:40
Loulabell so far just done marathons, target in Amsterdam is 3:15. I may only have one ultra in me so thought I'd go for a big one!
1 to 20 of 8,319 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.