Waterproof or free draining shoe?

Frostbite 50 footwear selection

21 to 30 of 30 messages
05/12/2011 at 15:41

great race report, brings my memories of the Northumberland ultra  flooding back.  Pleased to see that others have had similar navigational issues as we had in the above race, OS map came out at about 20 miles and never went away again - there were a lot of ambiguous path junctions and I reckon in the 63 miles we went off track about 4 or 5 times.  There were just 20 of us doing the route so rarely saw any other runners esp when it gets dark!!

Not sure what sort of time to aim for on this one ... just to finish perhaps!!!

Have my flights booked down to Manchester for this now, annoying nothing flies out of Inverness until 5pm on the Friday eve so will be cutting it a bit fine arriving but hey ho. Now I just need to sort out accomodation ... think the youth hostel is full now so need to look at other options.

05/12/2011 at 18:36
Cragchick

Did you do the Highland Fling last time round?

M
05/12/2011 at 19:59
I did indeed - did you?  In fact, my profile picture is of me staggering over the finish line!! Oh boy was that a hot day!
05/12/2011 at 21:06
Hi my favourite trail shoes are Salomon cross 2, also use for fell running. Frostbite 50 will be my first ultra so I recently treated myself to the gtx version of this trainer which is gore tex lined. So I took them down to Whitby on Saturday to test them out ran the first 32 miles of the course with a friend who is also entering.
The course is fantastic but very muddy and wet in places. Can 't wait for the event hopefully the frost will mean less mud on race day.

Shoes are great finished run with dry feet and no blisters or new black toe nails feet were not fully submerged but no water seeped.in when running on wet boggy ground.
05/12/2011 at 23:20
Cragchick

Were we chatting on the bus going back to Milngavie? U were in Aviemore?

M
06/12/2011 at 08:23
I'm just up on the Moray Firth so an hour North of Aviemore so I'm guessing that was me.  I confess the bus was a bit of a blur once we'd worked out which was the bus to get on. I do have memories of staggering around Tesco looking for inspiration for my dinner before going back to campsite and falling asleep in tent!!! Took me 11hrs 50 to finish and I 'ran' prob the last 15 miles with a guy who was a doctor.
06/12/2011 at 11:17
Thought i recognised you. I got in, in 11hr 06. I had a nitemare race, severe dehydration. Was hoping for 9 hours.! Took me 2 days to get back to Devon. Doctors when i eventually did. Oh well. Live to tell the tale. Great event tho'. I'll be back at some stage!
06/12/2011 at 14:32
Aha, just after me then. Not surprised about the severe dehydration, was shockingly hot, that does sound like a nightmare though.  I was hoping for nearer 10 hours but knew I hadn't done enough hill training so my quads were trashed, felt so much better once it started to cool down - I reckon I felt better in the last 10 miles than I did somewhere in the middle! Wasn't quite prepared for how grim it would be working round the bouldery section of Loch Lomond.  Agree great event though.  Long way to travel from Devon.
07/12/2011 at 21:58
Shoes sorted next question headtorch? There seems to be a big jump in price between units that take AAA's and the units with lithium packs are they worth it? Any advice on makes models that won't break the bank?
GKD
07/12/2011 at 22:37
Alastair at last count there was 345 threads on here re headtorches, have a read and if you have any unanswered questions come back
GKD

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.